You can now legitimately use an unlocked iPhone on NTT/Docomo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Aug 6, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Unlocked iPhones can now legitimately be used on NTT/Docomo.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/technology/view/iphone-4-to-be-workable-in-docomos-service-areas

Docomo isn't selling them but if you have an unlocked iPhone you are welcome to use it on Docomo. Japan Communications is offering a compatible SIM card made just for the iPhone/Docomo.

This is huge.

Softbank's reception is fine in big cities such as Osaka/Tokyo but pretty bad outside of main areas so I'm sure this will be welcome news to many. Plus Docomo has unlimited data plans.

2. gman20 macrumors newbie

The question now is where can I buy a factory unlocked iphone in Japan?

3. baileya1c macrumors member

Any iPhone can easily be unlocked. Softball is a big fail on Okinawa. My friend uses docomo on his 3GS and has WAY better coverage and speed than I do on my iPhone 4 on softbank.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Makes me consider selling my 3GS now. Could probably pull a good bit of change from people wanting to use Docomo.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

For me since I'm Canadian, I just order an unlocked iP4 from Apple Canada (all iP4s are unlocked/no jailbreaking required), and have my Mum send it to me ;)

I ordered my iP4 from Softbank / Yodobashi Camera last week but I'm thinking about canceling it.

Thing is, Softbank's reception isn't an issue in Tokyo/Osaka so I'm not too worried about it. Would be nice to be with the carrier that has the best infrastructure though.

Only thing I'm not sure about is what the Docomo's unlimited data plans are like. Anyone with Docomo? They have lots of new smart phones so I'm assuming their data plans are competitive.

Guess I'll check them out online.

6. mojibake macrumors newbie

7. Barnzee macrumors regular

I'm in Misawa Japan right now. does this mean I can buy an unlocked iphone 4s from apple and use it here in Japan? I'll only be here for 6 months and plan to go back to AT&T when I get back.