You can't download >10MB podcasts but you can stream them... is this an oversight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodcow, Nov 21, 2008.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

So we all know that you can't download podcasts >10MB over the cell network, presumably because AT&T said no.

But you can stream large video podcasts, 100MB+ just fine over the cell network.

Is this just an oversight?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

probably, but I would like think Apple was thinking of the user here.

If you download the podcast you probably dont need/want to listen to it right away, and Apple is afraid people would abuse this by downloading all their podcasts over EDGE/3G, whereas if they only allow user to stream they obviously want to listen/watch it at that time.

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

My assumption is that they're assuming you don't want to keep a huge podcast on your iPhone... that you just want to listen to it and move on.

I dunno.. that's all I got.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I think you're probably correct, although streaming is harder on the network (so they must have quite a bit of faith in AT&T - although we already knew that :p).

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Probably an oversight. ATT wouldn't want huge data traffic on their network.
    Apple have got to show a little respect to ATT's wants as they are admittedly Apple's first iPhone carrier ever.