You can't get a nexus 5 or htc m8 GPE on verizon can you?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by gc15, Apr 28, 2014.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

I have been on iPhone since it launched on verizon coming from the 4 and now the 5s. I have been wanting to try out a different phone to just play around with and these two are the only ones I'm interested in and i was just wondering if i could buy them from the google play store and put my verizon sim in them? I have read that you can not since they are not compatible but I am just coming here to make sure. Thank you!!

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's correct. The only phones you can get on Verizon are ones they actually sell.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

^This is exactly why I won't switch to Verizon (well, amongst a whole bunch of reasons). Having a carrier on a GSM network makes it much, much easier to switch phones and offers a far greater selection to choose from.

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

It's a big reason I switched AWAY from Verizon. If I ever need to go back on a "big" carrier I'm using AT&T.

5. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish i didn't have to be on verizon, i would prefer to be on at&t; however, even though verizon and at&t both work where i currently live, but when i go home, verizon is the only one that works there. And if barly does that because its not even using verizon's towers, its using a local cdma cell tower. Thats why i stick with iPhone because I'm able to use iMessage even when my service is horrible or if i don't have service at all.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yup--I left Verizon for AT&T in 2006 after getting fed up waiting for any decent smartphone choices (that right there is funny in itself ;)), don't foresee leaving anytime soon. Helps that I have exceptional AT&T coverage where I live. :D

7. Vegastouch, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Next month my TMobile bill is dropping to $108 for 4 phones. Two are going to be paid so no more payment on my bill, which is only $148 as it is for all four.
    My Daughter wants to get a GS5 so $25 may go back on if she puts nothing down on it and i bought my Nexus 5 outright from the Playstore.

We are all able to upgrade if we want but my Wife dont care what she uses and i can upgrade her for only $199 from eBay on a brand new phone as i was thinking a Nokia 925 since she has a Windows phone now anyways and if i get another one i can give her mine as well. Hell id like to get the 925 for myself, lol.

There are many choices. I can also buy another Nexus 5 for her as well. There are cheap options without adding to the bill.

$108 would be really awesome to stay at for a while.

8. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Why not just get a Microcell from AT&T?

9. scott craft macrumors 6502a

The selection of phones is one reason I'm thinking of leaving Verizon for AT&T. I'd love to be able to get a Nexus or a GPE or something like an Oppo, but it's not happening in Verizon.

10. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

Even though verizon sims must be used with other verizon phones, but can the verizon iPhone be used with at&t since it is unlocked?

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yes, it has the requisite radios to function on AT&T's network, though data will be limited to HSPA.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Now you see awful the price of CDMA...

It was a reason, but not the only reason I left Sprint for AT&T.