You do know there are elections in Canada Tues.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Legolamb, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I'm a U.S. citizen and can't vote here. BUT anyone interested in revealing their thoughts and/or votes in Canada tomorrow? Would you "waste" your vote on the Green Party? What about the Bloc - essentially a one issue party? Are you going to vote at all or just lurk on the U.S. campaigns? Eh??

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I'm voting Liberal. I'm not a Liberal fan, but I'm doing my part to stop a Harper majority.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I made a thread about two weeks ago, but it died a solemn, dignified death.

My thoughts are:

I'm not overly displeased with Harper's overall performance. I feel that he's made a reasonable Prime Minister and has not rocked the boat significantly. I recognize that this is because he has a minority, but I feel that (as the likely outcome) we could do worse. However, his environmental policies are terrible, and I found his performance at the debates was fairly disgraceful.

I find Stéphan Dion to be completely distasteful, like a soggy bagel with too much jam. I don't think he has very many leadership qualities, and I feel that the "Chrétien Liberals" (while I favoured Chrétien) have become a divisive force in the Liberal party. While I find myself agreeing with some of Dion's positions, I feel he's a milksop that won't be able to keep his party under control. I think the Liberals are in serious need of a purge and reassessment of values, as the PC went through in becoming the Conservatives. As much as I dislike Dion, however, I have to admit that I feel the Liberals have the strongest environmental policy in that is has the highest chance of actually succeeding.

The NDP are the same NDP they've been since Layton assumed leadership. I doubt very much they'll see any real game changing in this election. I think Layton serves a very useful purpose as a critic of both major parties. Also, his secret move "Cobra Crush" is killer against a predominantly aerial opponent.

I'm thoroughly impressed with Elizabeth May. I thought she was the most Prime Ministerial of the five candidates. The Green are slated to increase their fortunes this election, and they may very well have earned my vote by electing such an outstanding leader.

I would like to see the Bloc Québécois completely dismantled and barred from running at the federal level.

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

whats canada? Like soda or something?

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not to mention his wonderful mustache.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, have a cold one on me.

Attached Files:

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

LOL! man I nearly fell over. :D

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Number six on my list of things to do before I die is to touch his mustache.

9. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Really? Number 6?

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I looked up a picture. It should be in the top 5.

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I was wondering why google.ca had a check mark. I'm supporting NDP, but I only say supporting because I don't vote.

12. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

I knew Apple is having a media event on Tuesday, but, say again, who - Canada? Is that like Cascadia? ;)

13. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I voted Liberal in the advance polling, compared to '06 election, the turnout was much, much larger. There were probably around 50 people there waiting to vote (got in and out very, very fast), compared to '06 election I was the only person at the advanced polling that day. Stephen Harper and his Conservative Party doesn't represent the views I believe in, the old PC Party did. I want to puke whenever anyone calls the New Conservative Party "PC", since they "ain't no PCs", they're mainly reformers. Not all, but most I've met.

I supported Dion for the leadership of the Liberals in '06, but just like most Canadians, I'm a bit iffy about him, however I know that he knows what he's doing.

My dad, a baby boomer generation farmer is voting Green, every election his vote changes, mainly if he's not pleased with the governing party/MP, he voted PC in '00, Liberal in '04, almost Liberal again in '06 but I talked him out of it (the NDP candidate was MUCH better than Liberal candidate) but ended up with Conservative, and Green possibly this time around. Alot of people are angry with the current (Conservative) MP because he hasn't done squat in 4 years in office, he sends out biannual letters bashing Dion and not giving insight on what he is doing for the constituents, sometimes he has photos in his brochure with the university Conservative club (who all have their heads up their ***es 24/7), and that's it. The old MP, a PC who refused to join the new Conservative Party was amazing, he was rumoured to be a potential new leader for the party when Clark stepped down, but refused to run. When he was in Ottawa, the constituents KNEW what he was doing, he is so loud that he doesn't even need a microphone (and a bit arrogant but atleast knows what he was doing).

CBC was thinking that there's a potential that the Liberals may form a coalition with the NDP and Greens (if they get any seats) if the race is close.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I always wondered... is Canada covered by some giant invisibility cloak?

I live in Sweden and I get news from the rest of Europe, from the USA, from Africa, Australia, Asia and South America. And I'm sure you occasionally get news from Sweden, at least in these days when the Nobel Prize winners are announced.

But I never, ever, read anything in the news that involves Canada. How is that possible? Does nothing ever happen in Canada? Who runs the country? Who are your politicians? And how much was that invisibility cloak?

No offense, not trying to belittle Canada or anything, I'm just fascinated that such a large country so close to the US can exist in complete obscurity.

I went to our largest newspaper's website and the latest news item from Canada I could find that didn't involve hockey was some 2 month old article about some plane crash involving the band Barenaked Ladies, then I kept searching back to the beginning of 2008 before I gave up. Nothing.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Man it up a notch, and open a book. :rolleyes:

16. balofagus macrumors regular

Ugh

I should be voting and I'm quite upset with myself... but I have absolutely no documentation that proves I live in the riding I do! I'm at school two and half hours from home, but EVERYTHING has my address as my real home address. I don't even have a lease I can use to show them! Argh! I should have gone to an advanced poll while I was at home...

But, what's done is done. I probably would have voted Green. As much as it would have basically been a spoiled ballot (I shouldn't say that, you never know -- but I don't see this riding and most certainly not my home riding going Green any time in the near future) I felt that Ms. May is the best suited for the job of running this country. Harper frightens me, Layton scares me, and Dion just doesn't seem to get it sometimes... I don't even know why the Bloc runs at the federal level, it's a stunt. If however, I was voting in the previous election in my home riding, I would have voted Liberal. The man was an amazing MP, he respected his riding and wasn't afraid to vote against the party if his constituents asked him to.

17. balofagus macrumors regular

The emphasis is mine. Basically, that's why I believe we live in relative obscurity, that and an enormous portion of our population lives a stones throw form the US border. The US is a news-making machine. It acts like a black hole and sucks up all our news :p.

You didn't even read about the Greyhound beheading?

18. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I don't know. I think it's Mike Duffy's fault. I'm watching CTV Newsnet, trying hard not to fall asleep. I swear he's stoned or on Prozac. You had to hear him try to shill the network by presenting "all the colour and intrigue of the election". (Note the Queen's spelling of "colour"). Canadians have two solitudes: the overly emo of Celine Dion or the comotose of Mike Duffy.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That story shook me to my core. I've never been so disturbed by a headline before. :(

Back on topic, how's it going up there guys? When will the results be known?

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Polls close at 9:30 in each time zone, but results cannot be "published" from one zone to another.

A smart move, in my opinion.

The Internet, however, should give us something to go on.

Newfoundland/Labrador will be the first to report something, starting about now.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm curious, are there any results as of yet?

I'll admit I'm not too knowledgable on Canadian politics, but I do like to keep up on these things. :)

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, just think of it as an APPL "unveiling". LOL

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Horribly disappointing and watched primarily by nerds? :confused::p

Just you wait another 3 weeks; the way America does elections, you'll start hearing news early in the morning and it won't end until long after the Hawaiians have doen their bit. :p