You have got to be kidding me - Ampli-Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by livingonvideo13, Jul 8, 2009.

1. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

From the WTF were they thinking department

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Gryphon Corporation/AMPLIPHONEB/

"The Ampli-Phone is a scientifically designed horn that provides remarkable amplification of the speaker built into your iPhone"

[​IMG]

At first I thought this was a joke but this thing is real! Who in their right mind would buy such a thing. I am sure it sounds like crap.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It actually works quite well. The way it reflects the sound is quite noticeable. Don't bash it, 'til you tried it.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wonder if anybody will purchase this device?

4. Londonluke macrumors member

the funny thing is....if it has been designed well? then it will be great !

ok.. a bit silly unless your some sort of design freak etc .But Horns are amazing speakers

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

actually

there is a Audiophile company called klipsch they are very well known and respected, movie theaters love them! klipsch loves horns! this is no more bulky then one of those radio docks. I will bite the bullet and order one and let you know how it works thanks much for the link! :D

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, please let us know how it works.

When I made my comment, I was looking at the sketch. The picture looks much better.

8. livingonvideo13 thread starter macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Please let us know how it works.

The fact that it is a horn is not what I am slamming. I have a Mobile DJ Set up that uses 4 horns for the tweeters and I really like them. There is some serious drivers behind the horn to propel the sound.

I don't know if people didn't catch that this thing uses No Power, No Wires, No Batteries!

You are using the built in speaker on your iphone for the driver of the horn. The built in speaker is not high fidelity and really can't be because of the small size it has to be. This device may make the sound a little louder from a distance since it is driving all the sound in one direction, but it is not going to give more fidelity than the built-in speaker. Grab your iphone, play some music via the built in speaker, and hold it a few feet from you head with the speaker aimed towards your ear. If you are happy with sound, then this gizmo might be for you. But for my taste, listening to music via the built in i-phone speaker sucks.

Plugging your iphone into a docking system that has built in speakers/amp is going to sound way better because it will have drivers that are much larger and a more powerful driving amplifier.

Something like this (which I bought for my wife and actually sounds decent)

[​IMG]

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10273&dept_id=1007

is going to sound way better than a horn that simply tries to direct all the sound coming out of the little iphone speaker in a certain direction. Plus it is a lot smaller and more portable. Sure it uses batteries but also your iphone battery will last longer since it is not having to drive its own little iphone speaker.

This statement is kind of funny also

This would be true if you have a 12inch bass driver but you can't even get any Bass Frequencies from the iphone speaker.

If anybody actually has one of these devices, please review it for us and compare it to a small amplified unit like the iH13N that is shown above.

As you can see in the picture below, it just projects the built in iphone speaker through a horn.

[​IMG]

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

"Frequency Response - 200hz - 3500hz"

No thanks!
    I have a set of logitech computer sub/sat speakers that I paid $22 for that would smoke this thing. Of course, my solution requires power, but it's a much better answer than this thing. The sat parts of my speaker set were meant to mount to a wall so I simply drilled screws into the sub housing and mounted the sats there. I also screwed a $1 metal handle to the top of the sub and it's a completely portable setup that was dirt cheap.

10. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

How about a Griffin AirCurve? Slightly smaller footprint.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

found some stuff on youtube

this is not a priority for me almost more of a curiosity! So not something I will order right away I have a pair of tweakers I like allot they are small run of lithium battery, so they are rechargeable! :D loud enough for me!

Macworld 2009 - A look at Ampli-Phone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5vpEB3e5g

Ampli-Phone Demo
    this one is fun to watch they show it played to watch movies or play games! :confused: it looks silly as hell! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKs_PZRAgs&feature=related

here a pic some info on my Teakers got them at Office Depot $20
    Tweakers info if ya want it!

[​IMG]

12. livingonvideo13 thread starter macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Thanks for the clips. Here is another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QM6hDiOlZs

I admit that it will make your iphone speaker louder. But there are much better ways to do this with much better sound. It sounds like it is playing through an AM radio.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

ouch

they do make themselves look pretty silly! :eek: Hey what that big thing oh this it's my Iphone and my Ampli-Phone aren't I :cool:. I don't see it as very travel friendly! ;) just kind of interesting. I know if it was anymore then this it would be a serious pass! but $25 might be ok for my work/play area where I often listen too podcast!

14. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You know, the horn amplification is cool, and will certainly make it louder, but for me, I like my music is stereo, not a mono speaker amplified.

I have 2 sets of the Tweakers, and an identical set called the Chill Pill. For $19.99 at Office Depot, the Tweakers are AMAZING sounding for portable, rechargeable speakers. I was so impressed with the sound, I bought 3 of them, for different people in the house.

15. Londonluke macrumors member

Bose have been selling this "trick" for years....... they call it "wave guide"

I think this horn would look great as its soooooo unusual