You have to have local copy of movie for iTunes sharing with new ATV???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by anthonymoody, Nov 6, 2015.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Just digging into my new ATV4 and was very surprised not to find some of the many movies I have in iTunes - but in the cloud - on the ATV4. I went and downloaded local copies to my mac, and now they show up in My Movies under Computers on the ATV4. Correct my if I'm wrong but the ATV3 did NOT require the shared iTunes library to store a copy of a movie locally, right?

The whole "search my media" is bad enough on the ATV4. But you have to have local copies stored just to find them on the ATV4? Horrendous.

2. Denziloshamen macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that's not the case as I tested the picture quality by streaming straight from iTunes. Have you turned iCloud on? Are you looking at purchased in iTunes or trying to go through the computer icon? If it's the computer icon, then that will only show your local library.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

That's definitely not the case - you can see all your purchased movies on the ATV4 (like Denziloshamen said, make sure you are looking under Movies, not Computers).

4. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

These are not purchased movies I'm talking about - I should've clarified that. I'm talking about Digital Copies, of which we have many. Somehow, these get to live in the cloud, in my library, but don't show up under Movies. Only under Computer, *when* there is a local copy on the mac. I don't think that was the case with ATV3.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

The movies should show up regardless whether you purchased them or redeemed digital copies. Have you checked under Settings/Accounts that you are logged in to both iCloud and iTunes?

6. kelub macrumors regular

All of my "purchased movies" (which includes digital copies) show up under the iTunes Movies app.

7. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm. I am logged into both iCloud and iTunes.

8. Denziloshamen macrumors member

Digital copies are the same as purchased films from iTunes. I've never bought any films from iTunes. But have films given away as part of the 12 Days of Christmas (Home Alone and a Charlie Chaplin film) and also copies I've redeemed as digital copies. They all live under the same section in the iTunes movie section and can all be streamed without the need for them to be in my local library.