You know what really grinds my gears....

lappy482

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Here it goes. I have been waiting patiently for an upgrade to the powerbook line (especially the 12") since this summer's mac world conference. No go. Then for the end of the ipod mini give away rebates. Still no go. Then for today. Yet again, nothing. This is the most disgusting business practice that I have ever seen and what is even worse is that people are still being suckered into buying into it. I mean honestly, other computer makers roll out updates as soon as it becomes available and as soon as it is possible to use as an upgrade to their line. Take Sony for instance, they have updated/created 3 new notebook lines within the last 6 months or so. And they didn't need a fancy, look how great I am conference or event to do it. Let's take the 12" powerbook for instance, Apple could easily upgrade a years old graphichs card, and make the memory go up to 2gigs at least. It is sad when you can stuff more memory into a consumer laptop than a pro line. Not to mention they could easily place dual layer dvd-rw drives into their powerbook line with no problem at all. Yet they still remain stagnant. If you ask me Steve Jobs is no better than MS. The only thing that he has done has said, I have this cool OS and it is an alternative to the "evil empire" MS so you should buy it. He is really no better. Nobody else can sell OSX. He refuses to update his lines regularly so people continuously buy outdated crap from him just for the OS. Then he updates the computers so the new software only works with the new computers. This guy is a joke. The only thing he has done has suckered 6% of people into thinking that he is better than MS and he laughs when you walk out of his store buying overpriced outdated crap! Both Apple and MS are running monopolies in their own ways and I for one refuse to give money to a billionaire who thinks his *** is so perfect that no one will look past his complacent and ridiculous business practices.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Um.. you have a pretty twisted point of view. :rolleyes:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Mr. "just as bad as MS" isn't pointing a gun to your head.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
lappy482 said:
Here it goes. I have been waiting patiently for an upgrade to the powerbook line (especially the 12") since this summer's mac world conference. No go. Then for the end of the ipod mini give away rebates. Still no go. Then for today. Yet again, nothing. This is the most disgusting business practice that I have ever seen and what is even worse is that people are still being suckered into buying into it. I mean honestly, other computer makers roll out updates as soon as it becomes available and as soon as it is possible to use as an upgrade to their line. Take Sony for instance, they have updated/created 3 new notebook lines within the last 6 months or so. And they didn't need a fancy, look how great I am conference or event to do it. Let's take the 12" powerbook for instance, Apple could easily upgrade a years old graphichs card, and make the memory go up to 2gigs at least. It is sad when you can stuff more memory into a consumer laptop than a pro line. Not to mention they could easily place dual layer dvd-rw drives into their powerbook line with no problem at all. Yet they still remain stagnant. If you ask me Steve Jobs is no better than MS. The only thing that he has done has said, I have this cool OS and it is an alternative to the "evil empire" MS so you should buy it. He is really no better. Nobody else can sell OSX. He refuses to update his lines regularly so people continuously buy outdated crap from him just for the OS. Then he updates the computers so the new software only works with the new computers. This guy is a joke. The only thing he has done has suckered 6% of people into thinking that he is better than MS and he laughs when you walk out of his store buying overpriced outdated crap! Both Apple and MS are running monopolies in their own ways and I for one refuse to give money to a billionaire who thinks his *** is so perfect that no one will look past his complacent and ridiculous business practices.

Oh go on, dont sit on the fence, say what you think.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I was looking forward to posting to a thread like this, thanks!

Outdated crap? Give me a break. If you're new to Apple guess what, they do things differently, and if you want an update every 5 minutes get a Dell. You think it's a good thing that Sony released 3 new lines of notebooks? LOL!!! Each to his own I guess.

Maybe you should teach Mr. Jobs how to do "good business practice", haha. He sure needs your help.

lappy482 said:
Apple could easily upgrade a years old graphichs card, and make the memory go up to 2gigs at least.
Are you an electrical engineer or something? I will agree that the chipset is very old, but it's probably still good for heat consumption and features, so Apple didn't change it.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
lappy482 said:
Here it goes. I have been waiting patiently for an upgrade to the powerbook line (especially the 12") since this summer's mac world conference. No go. Then for the end of the ipod mini give away rebates. Still no go. Then for today. Yet again, nothing. This is the most disgusting business practice that I have ever seen...
Think on that for a minute....

Apple fails to bring the upgrades you are personally looking for, and that means they have 'disgusting business practices'?

Do tell us...if you are the center of Apple's upgrade schedule, why didn't you do something about this before it happened? Surely you could have spared the rest of us from such disgusting practices?

Oh...you're not the center of Apple's concerns?

...never mind then...

Carry on folks, nothing to see here :D

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I got the powerbook like 2-3 weeks ago now, the 12inch superdrive and i am perfectly satisfied with it. It seems as fast as my friends brand new dell 600m or something laptop. His laptop totaled like 2200 but with the 750 off 1500 got it down to around 1500. My laptop seems comparable to his, i belive he has either 1gig or 1.5 gigs of ram (2x-3x what i have) and his computer was freezing up with 3 apps open for reason. Since he got it, for some odd reason he's had to reformat it twice.. keeping in mind this is windows xp.

I mean yah your rite, i would like a nicer graphics card, maybe 128mb ... but guess what his orignaly 2200 laptop comes with a integrated card (granted integrated cards are alot better than the pentium 3 days ..what i own at home)..still i think it says something.

If your comparing apple to microsoft, your dam right they are comparable, both them are big buissnes, both them are trying to make money! I'm sorry but any real big buissnes goal is to make money.. ;)

That being said.. i am completly satisfied with my apple 12 inch powerbook.. altho like apple likes to brag some programs have froze up and quite for some unknown reason (mostly vlc player) but eh.. atleast it didnt quit every other program i was in either (like xp likes to do)...

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I will admit tho, it does seem a bit like apple is only concerned with their ipod line, but i can understand this for the time being..

Hello, they are switching from ppc to Intel.. they are doing this for a reason, because they cant make it faster or they cant do anything more...

Can they add other things like ram and such, yes they can.. i personally think they shuld make 512 built on board, and add a 256..plus lower the price across the board by 100-150 and they are good..

but like i said..they want to make money!

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
My personal opinion and one that shared by quite a few, is the the Intel switch is largely motivated by the lack of progress in PowerBook/mobile updates. I think the PowerBooks are been a ripoff for the last year plus. I hope Apple wows us with the Intel PowerBooks.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
i4k20c said:
I will admit tho, it does seem a bit like apple is only concerned with their ipod line, but i can understand this for the time being..

Hello, they are switching from ppc to Intel.. they are doing this for a reason, because they cant make it faster or they cant do anything more...

Can they add other things like ram and such, yes they can.. i personally think they shuld make 512 built on board, and add a 256..plus lower the price across the board by 100-150 and they are good..

but like i said..they want to make money!
i would be concerned about my iPod line as well right before the holiday season. this was one smart move to bundled the video iPod with itunes 6 and finally with a iMac that features FrontRow.

i agree with you on the PowerBook view. it's about time that they get a little attention. but i could be less concerned about it right now since i'm not in the market for one. i'm going to wait for the intel PowerBook.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'd love to see apple give you your own Dual Layer DVD burning 12" PowerBook and then watch it burn right through your desk, through the floor, into the basement just so you realise that maybe the reason it's not put in is because it'd make it hotter than hell itself.

apple don't just put the latest and greatest thing in without making sure it won't damage asthetics, usability, and/or burn it's users legs off during use. there's a reason for it.

and i'm not even going into the whole intel switch / lack of pro line updates. it's been gone over once too many times on this site.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
DaveP said:
My personal opinion and one that shared by quite a few, is the the Intel switch is largely motivated by the lack of progress in PowerBook/mobile updates. I think the PowerBooks are been a ripoff for the last year plus. I hope Apple wows us with the Intel PowerBooks.
I'm not saying this is you in particular, but there are a LOT of new Mac users and quite a few of them come to these boards. They are almost always the first to complain. None of them seem to realize that Apple was making awesome products many years before they decided to jump on the bandwagon. The PowerBook line has seen 13 years of improvement, innovation and success. That's more than you can say for any computer line, and many automobile lines, for that matter.

I think the "PowerBook ripoff" people are a minority... or if I had data on their time as Mac users, I bet I could show you a strong correlation between newbies and dissatisfaction with Apple's updates. Quite frankly, they just don't get it. Or they feel entitled to get what they want : an impossible frequency of updates while maintaining design, engineering, and everything else they take for granted. Honestly they are really starting to piss me off, but as Apple's marketshare grows, that's just something I have to get used to. :mad:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dferrara said:
I'm not saying this is you in particular, but there are a LOT of new Mac users and quite a few of them come to these boards. They are almost always the first to complain. None of them seem to realize that Apple was making awesome products many years before they decided to jump on the bandwagon. The PowerBook line has seen 13 years of improvement, innovation and success. That's more than you can say for any computer line, and many automobile lines, for that matter.

I think the "PowerBook ripoff" people are a minority... or if I had data on their time as Mac users, I bet I could show you a strong correlation between newbies and dissatisfaction with Apple's updates.
hey look i am one of those people that have always had a Mac their entire life and i love my revision D powerbook

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Nothing to add here but....

bigandy said:
i'd love to see apple give you your own Dual Layer DVD burning 12" PowerBook and then watch it burn right through your desk, through the floor, into the basement just so you realise that maybe the reason it's not put in is because it'd make it hotter than hell itself.
....that visual makes me laugh :D

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
If your so pissed off..
Why don't you build your own computer out of your own garage
and then write an OS for it.

A few years later... maybe you'll be where Steve Jobs is
or Maybe not..

No one told you to hold out on your purchase..
IT WAS YOUR CHOICE.

Sure the Powerbook lineup is outdated... but obviously..
Releasing new iPods before the holiday season is a better business plan than to release new Powerbooks that the select few will buy. The school season has already started so that takes out the students who require a laptop...
So tell me... why would Apple release Powerbooks now?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
lappy482 said:
Apple could easily upgrade a years old graphichs card, and make the memory go up to 2gigs at least. It is sad when you can stuff more memory into a consumer laptop than a pro line.
Hey, guess what. PowerBooks can support up to 4GB of RAM. Thing is, even a 184-pin DIMM (desktop size) of 2GB costs $660 from Crucial. a 1GB 200-pin SODIMM (notebook size) costs $197. Are you willing to pay that much? Somehow, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

I think you should step outside, take a deep breath, and really get your priorities in order.

MTUJT

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
i4k20c said:
That being said.. i am completly satisfied with my apple 12 inch powerbook.. altho like apple likes to brag some programs have froze up and quite for some unknown reason (mostly vlc player) but eh...
I had some problems with the old version of VLC, did you try upgrading to 8.2? Worked for me.

JT

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
lappy482 said:
Paragraphs should be your friend.

You have error....

Both Apple and MS are running monopolies in their own ways and I for one refuse to give money to a billionaire who thinks his *** is so perfect that no one will look past his complacent and ridiculous business practices.
So you dont like billionares who run successful companies? I guess you will be or are using Linux? Oh ..you arent? ohh.....

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
Lappy482, Way to go for a first post...

I've been waiting for the laptop upgrades too, but I realise that, and especially after the financial report, that it was important for them to release the iPod and iMac as they have done... it's a big business step for apple and a VERY important one.

I can't say I'm not dissappointed tho... But I will just buy the laptop when it comes out and by all accounts it's in this month as per the rumours on this site/other rumour sites... I got myself hyped up... but I'm still amped by the inevitable upgrades this month to the powerbook range, however minor they are. It is my decision to wait and I have given advice to my gf's brother to buy it now if he really needs his PB now (he's a first time switcher) or if he can wait then wait. But we'll wait and see what this month holds.

I think after the hype of this even there were always going to be people that were going to left dissappointed, and even if we all got upgrades to the lines that we wanted, there would have been people that would still find time to be upset. Let's move on... and be patient. We trust Apple and we definitely trust Steve.

Group hug? :D

macam

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
lappy482 said:
He is really no better. Nobody else can sell OSX. He refuses to update his lines regularly so people continuously buy outdated crap from him just for the OS. Then he updates the computers so the new software only works with the new computers.
While the adulation for Steve Jobs is very evident in these forums, I found your dissenting viewpoint quite refreshing. SJ is clearly gifted, but flawed just like the rest of us.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Counterfit said:
Hey, guess what. PowerBooks can support up to 4GB of RAM. Thing is, even a 184-pin DIMM (desktop size) of 2GB costs $660 from Crucial. a 1GB 200-pin SODIMM (notebook size) costs $197. Are you willing to pay that much? Somehow, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

I think you should step outside, take a deep breath, and really get your priorities in order.
Isn't the G4 limited to addressing 2GB though?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Are you the same person who will complain "StuPid APpeL PuT iNTeL iNTO tEh POwrbOOkZ!!!!11!one" six months after you buy your Rev E Powerbook?

In 8 months, the upgrades (read: new machines) will blow away anything that comes out in the mean time. Wait for it.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
notice the lack of response of the original poster. :rolleyes:

:D I'll keep on enjoying my Mac, with Office on it. Ahhh, yes, keeping Steve and Bill both rich. Bottom line: My computer experience is a much better one now that I'm on a mac.