You Know What? Screw the 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Velin, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

What a major disappointment:

[​IMG]

Was hoping to pick up a couple of 5c iPhones so we could leave Android, join IOS, and hopefully get HD Voice and Wifi calling with T-Mobile.

But the price is beyond stupid. So to get two phones on a two-line family plan, we have to fork over $1100 for a couple of plastic phones? Even if you purchase a subsidized 5c, you're still paying an unbelievably high price via the increased monthly wireless service costs.

iPhone 5c: cheaper materials, cheaper build, cheaper components, yet it's only $100 cheaper than the flagship aluminum phone? Why even bother? There is no reasonable option for people who would like an ios7 device, but don't need 64-bit, don't care about all the camera nonsense, and don't want to waste time playing games on a pricy four-inch toy. Android is now our only option, I guess.

The pricing is absurd. Just stupid, and I'm pretty annoyed at it. I could pay it, but I won't, just for the principle. I really wanted to get rid of my Samsung Galaxy S and move to an iPhone, but it simply is not happening at these idiot prices.

Never should have listened to the pundits concerning the 5c being a "mid-market" phone, this is top-of-the-market pricing. Now I really regret not having purchased the Google Nexus 4, especially after they cut the price to $199 no-contract: the Nexus 4 has now been sold out for quite some time and I don't think any more will be available since Nexus 5 is coming. Could have bought two Nexus 4s for a third of the price of the iPhone 5c. Total BS.

2. James717 macrumors regular

isn't the flagship the 5S?

Buy the 5C if you would've bought the 5. Cheaper than the 5.

Wait till the iPhone 6, which will be much better all around.

But, if you want the flagship,
    Buy the 5S and skip the iPhone 6. Use till the 6S or the 6C.

Easy, right?

3. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Chill out. The 16 GB Nexus 4 is in stock. Go get them if you want them.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Of course there is a reasonable option for reasonable people. Buy an iPhone 5, or a 4S, or get the 5C on contract. You don't have to pay full price.

5. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Well the only major difference between the two is the chip and fingerprint thingy. I'd say that might be $100 difference to build. But I see your point. Apple had an opportunity to give the public a low-cost alternative and failed.

6. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

Yeah, I know. But the one I was going to get:

[​IMG]

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

"You Know What? Screw the 5c"

You couldn't figure that out from the jump? It's basically a iPhone 5 in a plastic body. And it's really going backwards from a phone that you already have on the market. Make's no sense what so ever. Why not keep the old model on the market and make it $100 cheaper?
    This is like Samsung making a aluminum Galaxy S3 a year later during the Galaxy S4 announcement. Why even bother?

8. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

9. Tzuten macrumors 6502

As I've said in other threads I just see the 5C as cutting corners. At least in generations before if you wanted to spend that 100 less you could get last year's premium model and design.

For those wanting to get a new phone and pay less buy one of the remaining iPhone 5's when their price is reduced and avoid the pastel colored plastic phone. They are virtually the same except you get the sleeker aluminum design with the original 5.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yet it's not.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

This is apple, u really think you're gonna get a brand new iPhone no contract for $299 or whatever crazy low amount people made up? This is not surprising at all. USA customers view price by upfront costs. It's now half the cost, what a great deal!

12. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Actually the C stands for "Cost to much". There is nothing cheap about knocking $100 from a year old phone that plays second fiddle to a new model. You can get the iPhone 5 right now at your local Target for $100 which has a more premium feel and wider case selection. The 5s and 5 cases are interchangeable right?

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, no, no, no. Not cheap as in inexpensive, cheap as in POS! :D

Honestly, all I'm seeing in the 5C is a driving up of the value of my iPhone 5. If the 5C is the iPhone 5 in plastic, how much more valuable does it make the iPhone 5 which is made of actual, real aluminum?

Yeah, yeah, scuffing, I know. But at least it's metal!

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

APPLE doesn't care about you cheap android users

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Some people might prefer the 5C design, though. Hard to believe, but it's true.

16. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

The 4S is also insanely expensive off contract. If they's sell that for $300 I'd be a happy camper. I agree completely with OP.

17. cirus macrumors 6502a

While I think the 5S is a nice phone for the most part (could be 4.2-4.5 inches imo) the 5C honestly looks like a piece of crap. The shiny plastic and curvature of the phone screams 'teenager/tween/kid/fischer-price'. Honestly look at that picture and tell me the 5C doesn't look like a kid's toy.

[​IMG]

I mean plastic is fine if you do it well (well done plastic can approach metal in that 'premium feel'). You can have a nice professional looking plastic phone with a textured feel instead of this piece of crap. Seriously Apple, what happened? The only half decent colour there is white, everything else I could see maybe a teenage girl using but me? No way. (Seriously what about black/brown/beige/silver).

And Apple, you should have know better that to try and copy MS.

[​IMG]

18. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I don't think Android users care about the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s. The fingerprint reader is the coolest thing I seen today. Now repeat that last sentence a few times and then rethink your comment.
    Apple did nothing to steal Android users away from Android. It might be the other way around.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

+1 You said it best. The best strategy IMO that Apple should have taken was to transition the current 5 offering both the 5C and 6. There is no rule that they couldn't plan for this ahead of time. This would've made a whole lot of people happy, offering price conscious consumers an upgraded 5 with that polycarbonate material, and offering their savvy consumers the 6. It's a win-win situation for both consumer groups and Apple.

20. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

ipod-nano-color-palette_large.jpg

21. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

The 5C will not sell well, it's still $99 with contract, it should be free!

22. taedouni macrumors 65816

In my opinion I think that the 5c should be $450. They'd sell so much world wide. If apple really wants to improve their worthiness as a company then they should understand that the best way is to get a lot of people to use their devices. The 5c is pretty much a rerelease of a one year old phone with cheaper components. They can afford to drop the price $100 in order to eat up the market share.

23. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

The whole 5c thing is an absolute joke.

I have a lot of friends who were really excited about a budget iPhone model. So they'd have chance too go back to apple from android. Not everyone has enough to pay apple premiums, either buying outright or signing up to a 2 year contract.

So a budget iPhone had a lot of people excited. But it never happened. Apple had THE perfect opportunity to steal customers away from budget android models. And epically failed to do so. Opting instead to charge £469 for a plastic phone. Who is going to buy that?

Does it fit the people after a budget option? Hell no, apple must think everyone has the same pocket change they do.

Does it fit those after an upgrade for their iPhone 5? No. It's the same phone, in plastic.

It's only £80 less than the 'full fat' 5s. So why in the world, if you're spending £500 on a phone would you not go a little extra and but the 5s.

The 5c had zero place in the market right now.

I'm honestly baffled a to why they even bothered with it.

As for the 5s. Nothing amazing. Sensor is cool once any kinks are worked out. Typical apple incremental upgrade. But I like iOS. I don't get on with android and windows and I wasn't expecting anything special. I'll happily upgrade once the jailbreak is out.

24. mlg1998 macrumors newbie

I never understood why people say this. Whether you pay full price or subsidized price, you're still paying the same amount for wireless service, are you not? And for those that have no problems fulfilling a contract, they have saved hundreds of dollars in the end, unlike what is said above.

25. aluren macrumors 65816

This was supposed to be the phone to conquer the emerging markets and I failed to see how that price point will do this. What is the difference between the strategy of the 5c versus previously with the lower priced last year models?

Another is the fact that they want to eliminate the 30 pin connector, yet they chose to keep the 4S. It makes absolutely no sense.