Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Is when a guy finally decides to purchase and iPad. Falls deeply in love with it. Brags to all his friends, family and everyone else about how awesome it is and encourages them to do the same.

Takes it to work. Shows it to co-workers who "OOOO and AWWWW'' over it. Out it on the trunk of a patrol car after reciving an emergency call for service. Forget that its there. Find it smashed on the main street of the city you work in near the smashed boxes.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm soooo pissed/hurt/crushed/mad at only me
I;ll post pictures soon.

ps. under the sharred glass, there is clear and obvious place for the front facing camera for iChat.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
ps. under the sharred glass, there is clear and obvious place for the front facing camera for iChat.

If you're talking about this:

WoJfDOpftUiAQm1i.standard

YIR2WoGKf5oVv1iC.standard

That's just the ambient light sensor according to iFixit's teardown.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Is when a guy finally decides to purchase and iPad. Falls deeply in love with it. Brags to all his friends, family and everyone else about how awesome it is and encourages them to do the same.

Takes it to work. Shows it to co-workers who "OOOO and AWWWW'' over it. Out it on the trunk of a patrol car after reciving an emergency call for service. Forget that its there. Find it smashed on the main street of the city you work in near the smashed boxes.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm soooo pissed/hurt/crushed/mad at only me
I;ll post pictures soon.

This is EXACTLY what my wife did to her iPhone. Was showing it off, lost it, and later that day found it in the street in her district. She had left it on her squad car roof and it finally fell off miles away. It has a broken screen. Apple charged her $199.00 for a replacement phone (this was almost 2 years ago, right after the 3G came out. Its a wonder it wasn't ran over, or someone else picked it up. I joke with her about paying more for her 8gig phone than I did for my 16gig.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Aw man, that blows!

If you were using it on duty, seems to me your dept oughta help out with replacing it.

Rob

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Aw man, that blows!

If you were using it on duty, seems to me your dept oughta help out with replacing it.

Rob

That's ridiculous. (If this is true), he brought it to work to show it off. His employers aren't responsible for his personal property that he chooses to bring to work....

If it's true OP, I look forward to seeing your pics....... and I'm sorry for your loss.:eek:

Hackint0sh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Reminds me of a friend who purchased a new verizon phone a few years ago. He clipped it on his belt on his way out the store door. As he jumped in his car (in the Verizon parking lot) the phone came off his belt and fell to the ground (without his knowing). He then proceeded to start the car up and back over the phone. When he heard the crunching of plastic, he got out to see what he hit. And there in the parking lot was his crushed (5 minute old) phone. There were a few of us in the car with him when it happened.

We LOL'd all of the way home. :D

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Reminds me of a friend who purchased a new verizon phone a few years ago. He clipped it on his belt on his way out the store door. As he jumped in his car (in the Verizon parking lot) the phone came off his belt and fell to the ground (without his knowing). He then proceeded to start the car up and back over the phone. When he heard the crunching of plastic, he got out to see what he hit. And there in the parking lot was his crushed (5 minute old) phone. There were a few of us in the car with him when it happened.

We LOL'd all of the way home. :D

This is what friends are for.................

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
That's ridiculous. (If this is true), he brought it to work to show it off. His employers aren't responsible for his personal property that he chooses to bring to work....

If it's true OP, I look forward to seeing your pics....... and I'm sorry for your loss.:eek:

yea, i already pay enough taxes (although I greatly appreciate emergency services)

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Problem is, even Squaretrade makes you wait 30 days before they'll cover any kind of accidents (which is kinda dumb...are you really gonna smash it in the first week because you had buyer's remorse?)

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
The department is in no way responsible for personal property nor did I use the iPad as an instrument of normal duty. I simply loaded it up in my trunk to show my buddies. I tried to get a damn iPad case from Apple Brandon, Apple Tampa and Best Buy, not that it would have helped today, but brought everything in the original box as means of protection.

After we cleared our call, I was going to show the original person that I had intended to at an off scene where we were hanging for a free min. I opened the trunk and it was gone. First response was that they were playing a prank on me. After grilling them I realized they were not and that the last place I remember taking it out was the parking lot of the department.

Needless to say, I went back and retraced my steps. I found the top and bottom of the box on opposite sides of the street from each other then the iPad, face down in the street with tire marks on the back side. I turned it over and saw the horror. I found everything that came inside the box (minus the USB and charger) but lost the receipt. I even found the stickers.

I spoke with Apple and pleaded my case. I have an appointment with the store manager on Wen. They were empathetic but I don’t expect much.

THIS WAS MY FREEKING FAULT!!!!!!!! It pisses me off to NO END. If someone would have stolen it, I might feel a little better.

sigh....pictures are on the way.....

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
How the heck do i upload photos?? I've attached and uploaded but....

Attachments

• mail_2.jpg
    mail_2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 196

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
nm to the above. Here are the rest

Attachments

• mail__.jpg
    mail__.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 123
  • mail_4.jpg
    mail_4.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 115
  • mail_3.jpg
    mail_3.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 141
  • mail_2.jpg
    mail_2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 128

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
No, it was run over at least once. There was tire tread on the box and the back of the iPad.

Idiot me.......I deserve it.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
No, it was run over at least once. There was tire tread on the box and the back of the iPad.

Idiot me.......I deserve it.

Try taking it to the Apple Store and see if you can at least get a refurb for a cheaper price. Just be like uhh... "It came in the mail like this."

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yikes!

Sorry dude........ that sucks. A lot.:(

No, don't lie as the poster above me suggested.

Tell the manager what happened, (perhaps while wearing your uniform :D), and maybe he'll sell you one at a discount or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.