You know you live in a small town when...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iSaint said:
for youth group one night soon, I'm going to take the kids around and take pictures of them with church signs. I haven't seen one that bad, but will post it if we find one.
Well, though, if you read that verse, you'll understand what the sign means. To me, the sign doesn't disturb me if it backs it up with the reference. There was a christian pop song when I was a kid that was called Killing My Old Man. :)

And I'm not a big fan of the church these days....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iSaint said:
for youth group one night soon, I'm going to take the kids around and take pictures of them with church signs. I haven't seen one that bad, but will post it if we find one.
Ha, we have a bunch of those around here as well....

As for it not being a small town, I moved here from Washington, DC - believe me the culture shock was more than expected...

I'll have to take pics of some of the better signs and post them in the gallery :D

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I grew up in a small town. Lived there till I entered the Air Force. It was amazing how it seemed that most everyone knew everyone else. I didn't know my present wife till I met her six months to marriage. Afterwards found out that my mother-in-law knew most of the people that I knew growing up. No secrets.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
In my small town everyone drives golf carts. In my town you can get anywhere without getting on a major road. As a result about 80% of the residents have golf carts and use them to get around.

People who come down here to visit are amazed.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mkrishnan said:
Well, though, if you read that verse, you'll understand what the sign means.
From Google (for those of us who don't tend to have bible passages memorized):
2 Corinthians 5:17 (King James Version)

17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
I suppose it's an interesting way to get people to read the Bible. Of course, all I did was pull a passage up via Google. I guess that others might, oh, open the book and read a bit more.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jsw said:
From Google (for those of us who don't tend to have bible passages memorized):
:D

My point was simply that the old man is your old way of living and not your father. ;) I like me some cleverness once in a while. And it could be worse...they could be out playing dueling banjos! :eek: :p

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
In my small town...

We ended up celebrating the Prom at the parking lot of the Macdonalds that was actually the only place to gather avery Friday after school.

Of course that was when I was an exchange student in Arkansas back in 1992.

Back then, everybody in the town knew what was in my girlfriends closets because her host mother used to look in her closet and tell every other mom in town!

My house was so isolated in the forest that we didn't even have cable, there was not internet back then.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mkrishnan said:
:D

My point was simply that the old man is your old way of living and not your father. ;) I like me some cleverness once in a while. And it could be worse...they could be out playing dueling banjos! :eek: :p
that is funny, yet scary.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
when.... you have bikini carwashes consisting of 14 year old girls in bikini tops and cut off jean shorts... and all the men around are like 40+.

frightening.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Mr. Anderson said:
I saw this ad in a local Penny Saver type magazine....
Am I the only one who wants us to start up a fund for Mr. Anderson to buy a bike from this guy, to see if he'll make good on his eating-a-June bug promise? ;)