You might consider waiting a couple more weeks (August) for Tax-Free Weekend

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by southnc, Jul 17, 2011.

1. southnc, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

southnc macrumors member

I know many here are looking forward to purchasing updated MBAs, Mac Pros, (etc) next week; but, for many of us, Tax Free day is quickly approaching on August 5-7, which could save a quite a bundle depending on where you live.

For those of us in North Carolina, for example, you can purchase a computer up to $3500 and peripherals up to $250 Tax Free! That would get you a maxed-out MBA, and even a basic Mac Pro (also being updated). This applies to local Best Buy and Apple stores, as well as their online sites.

Of course, there are the out-of-state entities, such as Amazon. But, they may add shipping and you still need to wait for delivery.

Just thought I'd provide a heads-up to those of you not too intoxicated with getting a new computer next week. :)

Here is a link to the various tax free days per state:
    http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Great info. Hopefully the new ones will be out by then.

Where you at in NC?

3. JHG722 macrumors newbie

JHG722

One of the perks of living so close to Delaware :D

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

OP thanks for the info. Unfortunately not all of us will have the opportunity. I live in Illinois where it is blasphemy to celebrate such a day.

Here is a quick list of states that have a 2011 tax free weekend or week. These are typically aimed at helping low-income families justify the costs of computers and schools supplies during back-to-school season; incase anyone wasn't familiar.

Alabama
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Louisiana
    Maryland
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington D.C.
    West Virginia

Search to find your state's specific date.

5. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

6. KPOM macrumors G5

From what I can tell, New York's "tax holiday" is just the partial restoration of a general sales tax exemption on clothing. It used to be any item of clothing under $110 before it was eliminated last year. Now it's back, but the cap is $55 (except in NYC where the city's 4.3875% portion is still exempt through $110).

I couldn't see any sign that they are planning a tax holiday for computer equipment, and, of course, NYS is very aggressive about making online retailers collect sales tax and going after individuals who don't report out-of-state purchases on their tax returns (to pay use taxes).

7. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

We have it but upside down

Us it's free tax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sensamic macrumors 68030

And if there is no STOCK on that date on the physical stores??? :D:D:D

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm glad that my state (Missouri) has thismday, but I never get to take advantage of it.

Does the iPad count?

10. southnc thread starter macrumors member

Yep, looks like Missouri has a similar deal to NC and, yes, I would presume the iPad would qualify. Good question, though.

11. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So does Florida do this?
    It doesn't list computers on their list?

I would definitely upgrade it if there wasn't tax!

12. southnc thread starter macrumors member

That is a good question.

The answer is you still get it tax free as long as it is ordered during that period.

I purchased my current Macbook online during Tax Free weekend 3 years ago and it was delivered afterwards. But, I still got it tax free. :cool:

13. Click4Dough macrumors newbie

At this rate, it may not be released untill then anyway. Honestly i am not sure if i believe any of the rumors that it is coming out this month. Do i want one, yes, but i can wait...

14. TheEmpty macrumors member

Only a few of those have computers. Just control+f computer or your state on this page: http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/Sales-tax-holidays.htm

15. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

There is a limit in the state I am in, $1000 for computers and $500 for computer accessories. Only the Macbook and the Macbook Air low spec qualify (unfortunately, I want the Ultimate).

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

17. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

My mother and father both live close to New Hampshire (no sales tax).

Got my iPad 2 there hehehe

18. skelaw macrumors member

South Carolina does not have a maximum on computers. I know what I'm doing all of that weekend!

19. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

yea both links don't show NY. bummer.. i would've waited til august. maybe

20. TheEmpty macrumors member

It has already past, it was on clothing only. I can't find the link, but google is pretty great. "sale tax holiday new york" should help you get your results.

21. southnc thread starter macrumors member

WoW! Since I live in Charlotte (near the NC / SC border), I might buy there instead for a more formidable Mac Pro, if it gets updated by then.

Otherwise, I believe you can buy multiple computers in NC, provided they are on separate transactions under $3500.

22. CHSeifert, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I live in Denmark, Europe and we don't have these tax free days - what the heck is it and WHY ?

To stimulate the economy or just a part of the regulation :??: :?:

23. jpi macrumors newbie

This is so funny to read. I am from Austria and we have 20% sales tax and no tax holiday! and people from the US complain about way smaller taxes! (just a funny observation, no offense ;)
    But I study in Missouri so I will be taking the advantage and buy a new Macbook Air on those days! :)

24. KPOM, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

KPOM macrumors G5

They are mostly gimmicks. Supposedly they are done around back-to-school sale time to "help low-income people" with their purchases. During recessions they are sometimes tried as "stimulus" measures. They have little effect on total sales since people either push up or push back planned purchases.

25. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If you want a $1200 computer, you only pay tax on the value over $1000, meaning you only pay your tax on the $200.