You might want to hold off on purchasing iWork apps (iWork '11 related)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cav23j, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cav23j, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

cav23j macrumors regular

props to Stuipdboy1000 on the heads up
    under Quick Links
    you can see iWork '11

[​IMG]

seems like Apple might have an iWork 11 release soon

Apple edited the picture on the website to take out the '11 but it was there earlier

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Will people buying iWork apps now get upgraded for free? Is this sort of functionality built into the store model? If it was, it would be a great stunt, offering free upgrades in a few weeks to everyone who bought an iWork app.

Unless they pulled an iPhoto and 'upgraded' you to something hugely disappointing...

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

maybe Apple has a media event in the near future (by the end of january) either announcing ipad 2 or verizon iphone and they will announce this too. maybe Apple pulled it from the mac app store at the last minute to announce it at an event. either way that picture doesnt lie and that very much says '11. whoever was in charge of that picture made a mistake.

EDIT: its also weird how when you launch the app store it shows that same picture as posted but there is no '11 where it is there. almost like it should either say '09 or '11 was pulled right before the launch

4. cav23j thread starter macrumors regular

they are seperate versions so unless if they offer everyone free upgrade to 11 which is highly unlikely then you will have to re-pay

5. rkahl macrumors 65816

If you don't get free upgrades, then what is the purpose of the update application notification?

6. cav23j, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

cav23j thread starter macrumors regular

you don't get free upgrades from versions jumps
    everyone that had iLife '09 didn't get iLife '11 for free (it cost $49)
    you only get future updates for iWork '09

and also apple fixed the website picture so it doesn't say that anymore

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

I'm not too sure about that. This new sales approach is totally different. For example family bundles... you no longer have to purchase family packs for iLife or iWork. You just have to download it to multiple computers at the cost of 1. Besides once iWork 11 is released why would they offer updates for iWork 09?

Another thing I don't understand. If I bought Aperture 3 in the Apple Store it would cost me $199, if I buy it from the Mac app store its only $79.

A lot of questions out there still.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's a slight misrepresentation of Family bundles. The reason is simple. Let's say you own 3 Macs - an iMac and 2 laptops - you can download an App on each for the one price, but you must use the same iTunes account on all three, as in they must each be yours. So if you have a situation where some family members live in a different house, say in the past you bought a family pack and went over to your in-laws and installed it on their Mac too, then they probably don't have the same iTunes account. Same with kids, you may not want your CC info, etc on your kids machines, even h.s. or college students, to go buying iTunes tracks and Apps willy nilly. They may have credits you have provided them, gift cards, etc. That's where it gets tricky. But if you have 2 or 3 Macs for you and your wife or something, then that's where it is easy.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To be fair, though, the Family Pack's that Apple sells explicitly forbid installing the software on machines in another household, so your first scenario doesn't really apply. The second is definitely accurate though. Multiple computers in one household doesn't necessarily mean they all are using the same Apple ID for the Mac App Store.

jW

10. cav23j thread starter macrumors regular

they won't
    the update notification system isn't there just for iWork
    they just released an update for iWork '09 2 days ago

11. rkahl macrumors 65816

I just purchased Pages 09 alone. Even if they release the new one next week at a purchase price of $19 I'm not really going to complain. How many word processing programs with such a reputation goes for $20?

12. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

My guess is that if iWork '11 comes out soon (like within the next 45 days) it will be free to those who just bought iWork '09 on the MAS. If it comes out later than that, it will likely be a paid upgrade. Just guessing though.

13. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

I'm really disappointed in this. I've been waiting for the App store to open shop so I could buy Pages. I personally think they'll charge another $20 for the 2011 version, so I guess I'm back to waiting (if it's true that iWorks apps will be updated in the next few months). Apple could do a better job of explaining whether a free upgrade will be offered if we buy '09 now.

14. phonk macrumors member

One question: Aren't apps purchased at the Mac App Store like every other application?
    Purely hypothetical: Couldn't apple just update the app you purchased through the App Store OUTSIDE the App Store (via normal update in the application, like every application before the App Store). Or does every update have to come through the App Store?

15. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Found this at Apple.com

Updating apps that were purchased from the Mac App Store

Software Update does not show updates available for software that was purchased from the Mac App Store. To update your purchased apps, open App Store on your Mac, then click the "Updates" view at the top of the App Store window. This will show all available updates for apps currently installed on your Mac.

16. phonk macrumors member

Mh... with "Software Update" they mean the OS X Software Update (that one right under "about this mac" and above the new "App Store"), right?
    But why shouldn't it be possible to update within the app itself. Or to generate a key within the app to download an upgrade outside of the App Store. Or the many other ways there are now to upgrade an application to a new version.. But that might screw up with the updates within the App Store.

On a second thought: My App Store recognized my preinstalled iWork. But it did not recognize Panic Transmit (which is also available at the App Store).
    I'm a bit confused about the integration of apps/files/code coming from outside the App Store...

17. catchdry macrumors newbie

If you go to the apple store online you can see a "new" stamp on the iWork picture. But all the information is about iWork '09 though. Hoping for a new version soon:)

18. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I can see the update to '11 being free for Mac App Store buyers and being an upgrade/Mac App Store only for '09 users. Seems fair enough to me

19. msavwah macrumors 6502

was pretty bummed no iwork 11 as thats what I really wanted.

I'm NOT buying iwork 09 and expecting a FREE upgrade to iwork 11, even if its a week later.

I'm waiting for iwork 11.

Sure they have offered the new ilife on the cheap for those who bought a mac within a week or two of the new version.

Still that was not FREE, and this is a new method of getting software.

There is no reason to believe there will be FREE upgrades.

Updates yes, upgrades, no. It's possible they could do it, but there is no reason to expect they will do so.

20. cav23j thread starter macrumors regular

well that's not fair to someone who went into a apple store today and bought a hardcopy

21. cav23j thread starter macrumors regular