Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Hi all,

So I ordered my Quad Core i7 iMac online around 27th Oct. It arrived on Nov 18th. This was supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife, and I was supposed to only open it on the 25th Dec. However, this morning (Saturday 21st Nov) she was out, and I couldn't resist taking a quick peek.....

I never got a peek..... as the screen was dead.... It's not fun to listen to the Mac OS X startup video and not see anything.

I have tried CMD+Option+P+R to no avail.

Geez, this is frustrating.... Do you think a UK store (Kingston) will take it back even though I ordered online?

The only fun I have had today is to play with the magic mouse scrolling on Mac Rumors, using my other Mac!!

loiphin.

UPDATE: 7th Dec 2009

Yipppeeeeee!!

I finally have a working 27" iMac Core i7 sitting on my desk purring away.

I got it today, and was quite nervous unboxing it, expecting a cracked screen or DOA again. But luckily it all seems to be working fine. I did find that one of the polystyrene corners in the box had broken a bit. Geez, UPS must toss these boxes around like bags of cement.

I added another 4 gig of Crucial memory and it runs a treat.

The only problem I noticed so far is that I think I can see a bit of yellowing towards the bottom of the screen. But its so slight I don't really care. Have had so much sh*t trying to get the replacement that I don't want to nit-pick.

Now the only bad thing is that I have to pack it up and put it under the Christmas Tree... and look at the wrapped box for another 18 days

It's going to be a loooooong wait.

loiphin.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
OF COURSE THEY WILL.
You ordered it from Apple right?
Or even a authorized Apple store?

Then you must have the warranty.
take it back ASAP.
and they will give you a new one

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Yes, direct from Apple. Thanks! I will be there tomorrow first thing.

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah! I would have been sooooooo p*ssed opening it up on Christmas day and not been able to do anything about it :(((

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Hehehehe, I was just thinking about that....

Will tell her that I have been reading the forums and people have been having a couple of issues. So I decided to check it to make sure ;)

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I am typing this from one of the apple store machines in Kingston, UK.

They refuse to take my 27" imac Core i7 back!!!! They say the online company is separate to the stores.

So much for service !!!!

:(

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Just call Apple support and they'll give you a return authorisation number and an address to send it back to.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

They refuse to take my 27" imac Core i7 back!!!! They say the online company is separate to the stores.

So much for service !!!!

I know it's frustrating but it has always been this way. The stores will take your DOA Mac and repair it but if you want it exchanged or need a refund it has to be mailed back. :(

Just call Apple support and they'll give you a return authorisation number and an address to send it back to.

They will actually arrange to send a courier to collect it, you don't have to post it yourself.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Am going through the same thing. You'll have 3 options:

1. You send your machine back and wait 'x' amount of business days to get a replacement.

2. You have them send you a new machine, and you send the defective one back at the same time. You will have to give them your credit card number so that they have something to fall back on should you not return the original machine. They 'say' that there is no hold on the card, just have the number on file. Not sure about that, but it is the best option I think.

3. You send your system back as DOA, and they refund your money in 3-5 business days once they get it back. Then you can go down to the Apple store and buy an i5.

The Apple stores should be a convenient extension for online customers and a reason to buy directly from Apple, but they are not. The Apple engineer that I spoke with this morning, said that the process is going to be improved, but they are not there yet.

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Phoned Apple and got through to their returns department quickly. They explained I have to go through an AppleCare rep as a matter of procedure, even though I know the machine is DOA, and the local Apple Store confirmed this. Now been waiting 10 mins.....

dum de dum...

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
That's weird that the Apple store wouldn't deal with this issue.. or is that how it works in the UK? :confused:

My MBP exhibited the Nvidia video card problem and although I had purchased it online, I was able to hand it over in a Apple store - they accepted it, it was fixed and shipped back to me in 4-5 days at no cost at all (not even shipping - and it was 2 day delivery!)

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, it sucks that in the UK the online and retails shops operate as two separate companies.

Well, after waiting for about 20 minutes on the phone, I have been give a RMA number and am expecting an email from a courier in the next 48 hours. Only then can I send it back. And only once they have received it, can they kick off the new order.

Lets hope I get it by Christmas.

loiphin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Yaaaaaay!

Yipppeeeeee!!

I got it today, and was quite nervous unboxing it, expecting a cracked screen or DOA again. But luckily it all seems to be working fine. I did find that one of the polystyrene corners in the box had broken a bit. Geez, UPS must toss these boxes around like bags of cement.

The only problem I noticed so far is that I think I can see a bit of yellowing towards the bottom of the screen. But its so slight I don't really care. Have had so much sh*t trying to get the replacement that I don't want to nit-pick.

Now the only bad thing is that I have to pack it up and put it under the Christmas Tree... and look at the wrapped box for another 18 days ;)

loiphin.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Yipppeeeeee!!

Now the only bad thing is that I have to pack it up and put it under the Christmas Tree... and look at the wrapped box for another 18 days ;)

loiphin.

Imho I would use it for several more days before you pack it up under the Christmas Tree. While it seems like you have a good one, certain issues like the random shut downs and the yellowing screen becoming worse can take a few days. I would seriously reconsider and try to put in at least 3-4 days worth of 6-8hrs of up time on the computer. Once you past that 14 day mark, you will be hard pressed.

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

So much for service !!!!

Its shocking isn't it. I bought a 13" MBP a few months ago. It arrived with a dent on the back, so I went right to the Milton Keynes Apple store to see if they could swap the backplate. The manager had to check several times, but no - buying from Apple online is like buying from Amazon as far as they are concerned. He even made the point (nicely) about why perhaps I should by from them and not online in the future. I got it resolved over the phone but it was a wakeup call to me and much more inconvenient than I expected. :(

miren

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Random shut downs

My i7 worked well for ten days. It did have a yellow screen problem that I was going to live with. Random power downs started on day eleven. Apple called it DOA. I was told by two reps that the a new computer would be expedited, built and then sent to me 2nd. day. That was on Dec. 1st. so I was looking for a new one at my door on Dec. 4th. Now they are telling me that it will be Dec.21st. That will be a 3 week turnaround. I call that very poor service. :(

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
@loiphin

Hey, the same thing happened to me when I got my first i7---just plain DOA. But now I've got the replacement and so far (after 4 days) it's working fine, just a little hard drive noise low in the background.

Congrats on your new iMac, here's me crossing my fingers that both ours continue to work well like they should.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
My replacement is the same week. If they are delaying shipments to correct problems, that's a good sign.

My i7 worked well for ten days. It did have a yellow screen problem that I was going to live with. Random power downs started on day eleven. Apple called it DOA. I was told by two reps that the a new computer would be expedited, built and then sent to me 2nd. day. That was on Dec. 1st. so I was looking for a new one at my door on Dec. 4th. Now they are telling me that it will be Dec.21st. That will be a 3 week turnaround. I call that very poor service. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.