You really can't blame people for not caring / being ignorant about "real" news

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Jul 18, 2013.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

Because so much of it is so depressing and draining. Or very convoluted (like politics). It just adds too much negativity to one's life sometimes.

And thus:
    [​IMG]

I understand that the Internet demographic is more skewed towards a younger audience, but this is just hilarious. We really do like our beautiful famous people that are a part of our entertainment consumption...because hey, entertainment is part of our joy and happiness, and is not a turnoff like trying to make sense of political bickering.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I can't blame people for being ignorant because it takes a little effort to actually read something with significant conten!?

It's so depressing and draining to inform oneself about something other the the behavior of some useless "celebrities" and their hairstyles!?

This could be the most depressing post I've read in a very long time. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to put themselves out to be informed about anything more important than Lindsey Lohan's latest bust.

This is beyond pathetic...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you somehow channeling me? I feel this is a post I could have written, but with a few more run on sentences. :D

OP, if you scrolled once over you'd find some articles with a bit more substance, not many, but some. I'm not certain the articles are there because Bing wants to be sure not to rattle anyone or if they're just there because they're popular. Like Yahoo!'s trending articles (top 10) and how the majority of them are often about celebrities. It doesn't really take any more effort to search for something more meaningful. In fact, I can get to NPR quicker than I can get to Bing by virtue of fewer characters. There I can read up on national news, world news, and even entertainment. (NPR has a pretty awesome music section)

Therefore, yes, I can most certainly blame people for being ignorant. It takes very little effort to inform yourself and in some cases, you'd have to be living under a rock to not at least know of certain issues going on today.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I get most of my news on apps these days. I really couldn't give a hoot about so called celebrities. Most of the time I don't even know who they are. I'm only 38 by the way.
    If you don't want to find out about this stuff, you have the choice to not click it. MR is my homepage, and if I want to go looking else where for my news, it's normally BBC or Sky on my iPhone.

5. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I'm just wondering what kind of tattoo Rachel Bilson got. :p

Who is she though? :confused:

Actually the most interesting story is the black hole gas cloud-look OP if you click on stories like that more often you'll find you "see" the other stuff vanish both on the page (thanks to your history) and more importantly in your perception.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

First of all, you are using bing. :D

Second, I believe search engines now adapts from your history searches. Meaning you searched for celebrities and "black holes" before.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    In this day and age when multiple sources of news, multiple takes on the same story, are not only readily available, but only takes about 5 seconds worth of effort to find, I find it very hard to excuse ignorance.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I should have known it was all Microsoft's fault! I guess nobody has the common sense to visit here if they want "real" news.

Damn you Microsoft! Damn you! :p

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, FWIW, I'm not sure "real" and "news" totally exists any more. I get the info I can get and hopefully its mostly accurate. I prefer BBC and NPR over most anything else, I think.

11. Scepticalscribe, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You are not serious, are you? You cannot be serious? What an appalling, deeply depressing post. Shrink is absolutely right, pathetic is the word. Beyond pathetic, in fact.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Oh, yes.And a profound and heartfelt amen to this post, too.

OP, that is a terrible thing to think, and to write. Horrifying.

For most of history people had no say in who ruled them, and limited access to any sort of information which would allow for them to have a say in how their own lives were conducted. Knowledge is power, which is why dictatorships, and totalitarian regimes the world over - not to mention many of the world's religions to whom education and knowledge are a constant threat - seek to curtail access to it.

Ignorance is no excuse, and revelling in ignorance is one of the most dreadful things anyone can choose to do to themselves. You can inform yourself, and you choose not to, simply because it is 'convoluted'. Of course, it is 'convoluted' - anything that has evolved beyond the structure of an amoeba is 'convoluted'.

As for your frightful sentence that entertainment is 'not a turnoff like trying to make sense of political bickering'..............well, 'political bickering' is the price we pay for encouraging the development of democracy.

Democracy means pluralism, the right to freedom of speech, association, of assembly and so on. Crucially, it also means the right of a loyal opposition to exist - that is, a body, or group, who are elected and who oppose the Government but are not deemed to be traitors or mortal enemies of the state or governing elite. This is why (and where) - 'political bickering' the right to disagree in an elected forum, or the forum of public opinion, takes place. The concept of a 'loyal opposition', that is, an opposition loyal to the state but allowed to oppose the Government on matters of public policy is a key feature of modern functioning democracies, and marks a huge advance in how we choose to govern ourselves in the western world.

Of course, some states don't have 'political bickering'; they silence, smother, or otherwise stifle political opposition. Sometimes, they murder them. There are states where it is illegal to mock the president, states where it is impolitic to demonstrate anything other than the most overblown declarations of affection; in such states there is no bickering at all, as everyone (in public at least) professes undying love and boundless gratitude to the tyrant who rules them.

I'll go further. The rights which we currently enjoy in the western world did not come easily; they were fought for, often in bitter, bloody battles, and viciously nasty philosophical disputes: Remember all those justifications for why those lacking property should not enjoy any civil rights? Or the arguments (often reinforced by religious quotations) about why women, by virtue of their gender were fundamentally incapable of governing themselves or exercising independent judgement? And surely, a forum mostly inhabited by citizens of the US will recall some of the truly ferocious rhetoric used to justify the indefensible history - and dismal legal reality - of race relations in the United States?

These battles had to be fought, physically, intellectually and philosophically. Very, very convoluted stuff indeed, because a key argument of those groups who held power - and sought to retain it - was that those who were less privileged merited their inferior position; philosophical argument, discussion and debate - in other words, 'political bickering' was the only way to challenge such arguments, and challenge their underlying assumptions, short of resorting to outright violence to achieve long overdue political and social changes. Rights that are not defended - such as the to right to inform yourself, - can easily be taken away. What was that quote again, the one about the price of liberty being constant vigilance?

How dare someone who comes from a wealthy, stable, country, where information is readily available, choose not to inform himself because it is 'too convoluted' and 'too depressing'.

Sigh. If the OP had been a student of mine, and came out with that sort of witless nonsense in a classroom, where ignorance is celebrated and thought derided because it is 'too convoluted, depressing and draining', he would have received more than a flea in his ear before departing from the classroom........

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Wasn't her bust big enough already?

13. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Aren't they synonymous?

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

15. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I can certainly understand not discussing politics with people, but not caring about 'real news' is sad.

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

"Real news" or otherwise cannot depress me. It's a "real" part of life and I choose to stay as informed as possible. I may not like the news articles, or agree with them, but I enjoy being engaged in the life I live and that of the world around me. I prefer to bring my own happiness :D

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Maybe my reading comprehension is different from many of you who have posted in this thread, but I didn't take the OP's comments as a confession, personal declaration, or justification, but more of an observation.

I can totally see how some people choose to ignore real world news because so much of it seems to be delivered in a negative manner. And yes, sadly many people do immerse themselves in the fantasy world of celebrity as a form of voyeuristic escape from reality. Whether it be watching the red carpet, reading the gossip column, or staying up to the "wee hours" of the morning to see the royal wedding, some are just obsessed with the lives of famous people and sincerely wish they could be like them.

While I would consider myself educated and fairly "in the know" regarding most news I don't spend any time watching 24 hour news networks like Fox, CNN, MSNBC, or the like. I rarely read a newspaper and don't watch the local news either. Most of my exposure is through the internet, listening to the radio, both national and local, and personal discussions with friends/coworkers. Like Jessica mentioned in her post, I just don't find much value in the overdramatized, entertainment driven, and intentionally controversial news that seems to dominate the media markets today. There seems to be very little objective reporting going on as everything comes across like editorializing and agenda pushing. I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as being unbiased anymore and I'm certain "common sense" is a long forgotten character trait.

For example, I have some family visiting this week and one relative watches a major 24 hour news network all the time. We have let this individual have free reign of our TV because we are good mannered people. Well, after being exposed for several hours to the "stories of the day" I found myself feeling grumpy. :mad: I mean, seriously, the stories that were being discussed/debated were just ridiculous. If felt like the shows were intentionally trying to get people worked up by just throwing out the most extreme viewpoints possible and speculating on details as opposed to genuine fact checking.

The older I get the more I recognize the value of my time. I want to be "informed", but I really don't have time for nonsense and I'm not looking for news to be my source of entertainment. That's just how I see it.