You really dont know how magical the iPad is until you buy another tablet..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleGoddess, Jun 1, 2011.

1. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

The last 2 months I have bought 2 other tablets the transformer and the iconia, both times I was very disappointed in the feel and honeycomb.

I know honeycomb Is a infant yet,but heck I really appreciate all the work that has gone into my iPad.

Thanks Apple.

2. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I have to ask the obvious question… What made you want to buy those other tablets in the first place?

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I picked up a Blackberry Playbook as an "in between" smaller device. It is so incomplete. It is solid, the screen is gorgeous, the Operating system is excellent, the GUI is smooth. BUT.....

What good is a Tablet without APPS?????

4. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

If people main complain about competing tablets is just apps then wait a while. The iPad is so well developped because its been around for so long and attached itself to the iPhone appstore. If we give more time to other App Stores the differences between tablets will become more blurry and all of a sudden there won't be a wide margin leader like the iPad.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I started with the iPad 2. The got the Acer Iconia with Honeycomb 3.01. Then got the Asus Transformer which now has Honeycomb 3.1 on it. Of course I knew there was nothing magical about the iPad when I bought it, but Honeycomb on those two tablets proved it. iOS 5 hopefully will bring some new magic to the table.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I had icons to tap on years before the iPad/iPhone/Touch came out. Nothing advanced in iOS yet. Nicely packaged though. Now the iPad just needs to seperate itself from the smaller devices, and Apple needs to show it really understands UI/ergonimics relative to scale.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Android devs have had a year to start building apps for Android based tablets. They have had more than 6 months to build specifically for Honeycomb. What is there to show for all this time? 101 tablet specific apps!!!

Problem is, devs don't want to spend time and effort for a system that doesn't produce $$$$ for them. Not to mention the risk of another fractured Droid based device. It is a well known fact that Android users spend little money on apps compared to iDevice owners. If I were developing an app for a specific ecosystem, it wouldn't be Android.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

People keep saying things like this, but there is little evidence to support it. Lets look at the facts:

On day 1 of the iPad there were over a hundred optimized Apps for it. A year later there are more than twenty thousand.

"Android Tablets" have been around, arguably, for six months. Looked in the Android Market for Apps recently? Slim pickings, indeed. But the problems go much deeper than simple number of Apps. Google played that game with Apps for Android phones - with the result than ~ 90% of the "Apps" are complete garbage: wallpapers, ripoff games, etc.

The problem is that Google is ultimately all about selling advertising. So their entire emphasis is on ad-supported Apps. Which is fine for the makers of Angry Birds, who can count of a few million eyeballs to pay the bills. But its not so good for makers of smaller "niche" apps. The sort of people who need five or ten thousand people to pay five bucks each to pay for six months of their work. Google has NEVER demonstrated the ability to sell this sort of product.

Then you have the problems of "openness" - which is sort of shorthand for "makes it easy to install pirated copies." People complain about Apple's "control" - but it does at least ensure developers get paid for every copy of their Apps that get installed. And then you've got the bugbear of fragmentation: Too many flavors of Android, running on too many different sizes and formats of Tablets.

So, bottom line: The number of Android Tablet Apps will certainly increase. But it is NEVER going to come close to matching the QUALITY of iPad Apps. And without quality Apps, your $500 tablet simply becomes an (expensive) portable e-mail reader, web-browser, and video player.

8. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Correct, on Day One the iPad 1 had more tablet-optimzed apps that ran well than Android has even now. And iOS on the iPad 1 was already smooth and ready for consumer use. No excuse for Android still trying to catch up.

9. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Indeed. Although it took a while for competitors to get a viable alternative to the iPhone on the market and Android only recently started outselling the iPhone. So in a few years time Android tablets may be outselling the iPad. Perhaps Apple will have moved onto something else by then.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Android is also cheaper than an iPhone and available from all carriers, which iPhone is not. So those numbers may be skewed due to those factors.

11. AppleGoddess thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I wanted to be able to update without buying another. Mac as this is really all I need.

12. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Indeed, the most recent survey shows Android's growth in the smart phone market has stopped. Will it now recede? Stay static? Start growing again? We'll see as the months go by, but I think Android fans are going to be quite displeased by what I think is coming in their world.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I think iOS makes the difference. I've looked at some of the new things coming out, but would never buy, mainly because they don't have iOS.

That makes the iPad so different than the others.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Samsung tab came out somewhere around 6 mths after iPad 1. The android OS has been around since 2008. There are no excuses.

I'm tired of people acting like iOS is years older than Android.

15. AppleGoddess thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I don't want this to become a Apple vs. Droid thread I am just giving my thoughts, and I am now again very happy with my iPad.

16. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Oh yeah, Android's hundreds of cheaper phone models on every carrier have begun to outsell THE iPhone. I'm not impressed.

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The smartphone and tablet markets are entirely different animals. Android leading the smartphone market by sheer brute force of numbers(disparate devices, throughout all carriers), will not translate to tablets, because a phone is something everyone needs.
    Everyone wants some form of touchscreen action, so price becomes a major factor.
    Tablets are not necessary in any way, shape or form. They're luxury(in necessity terms), so any average Joe who wants one, will firstly look at the iPad, thinking it's priced at a premium, like MacBooks, but then they realise it's price is highly competitive, so it'll be a no-brainer of a choice.
    I stand by my belief, that for the forseeable future, the tablet market(for average consumers) will mirror the mp3 player market ie: iPad, then the 'others', regardless of what Android does.

18. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

my friend got a galaxy tab 10.1 in the google event. I like my ipad but I didn't really think it was that much better than the tab. both are pretty amazing, I love the functionality and flexibility of android but I love the elegance and simplicity of ios. wish I could merge the two

19. BookMan1979 macrumors newbie

I can understand some possible reasons:

Maybe the person had the money to do it.

Maybe the person sacrificed certain necessities to do it.

Or maybe they wanted to test it out. After all, knowledge of both products is valuable in helping others decide what they want.

I wonder if some people think it's stupid to buy an "inferior" tablet. Or stupid to buy more than one tablet when only one will do.

And how specifically is the question obvious?

20. BookMan1979 macrumors newbie

No, lol, I bet excuses are there... the question is: are they any good?

21. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I'm surprised you didn't mention how crappy of a build the transformer is. Very very cheap.