You see how everyone tries to justify the rumors/leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

English is my second language so keep the grammar nazis away

Latest rumor: "still 8MP camera"
    Now here on the forums 90% of the people justify and defend this decision made by Apple(maybe not because it's a rumor). Yes, it is true that more MP without other improvements result in bader picture quality and higher disk space consumption.
    BUT if this is true, Apple only catches up to its competitors! Why not overtake them once again as in good old iPhone 4 days?

For years, we know that most of the iPhone parts are only worth something between 5-15$. You can't tell me that there is no single camera sensor that's worth 25$ and gives you great pictures with higher MP! Same with the battery!

But IMHO Apple doesn't want to do this because they found their cash cow to milk....my two cents :/

And this makes me sad because my 4S is ready for an upgrade AND I WANT A NEW IPHONE SO BAD :(
    Screw a bigger screen! I tested my friends 5 and the 4" felt amazing.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

First - you probably wanted the word "worse" instead of "bader" -- not a criticism, just mentioning it to help you since you said English isn't your native language.

Second - Why specifically do you want "higher MP"? All else the same, what exactly do you expect that to gain you? (it's a 27% gain in linear resolution BTW from 8MP to 13MP)

There's much more to image quality than pixel count. Especially when dealing with super tiny lenses and sensors. Pixel well size, sensor low light sensitivity, lens quality, max aperture, etc. I'd anticipate improvements there before significant improvements in MP.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So you are not going to get a new iPhone unless the camera has more MP?

I have the 4S and 5, and the screen alone is a huge improvement, not just the increased size, but the quality of the screen itself is much better on the 5. There are also a lot of internal hardware improvements from the 4S to the 5, which I imagine would be even better on the 5S. Camera MP just seems a small part of a smartphone to focus on -- when I decide on whether or not to upgrade my iPhone, I'm looking at how it will perform as a smartphone, not how it will perform as a camera.

4. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Actually the latest rumor is 12 to 13 MP, not 8. Many sites have this information/Rumor.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57579731-37/latest-iphone-5s-rumor-pegs-camera-at-12-megapixels/

5. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unless you wear polarized sunglasses, in which case the 5's screen is horrid relative to the less affected 4S.

7. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

The average person ( not someone that has any knowledge in photography ) will believe higher the Megapixel better the picture quality. It is just part of human nature.. bigger is better..

8. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

This was my intention. Thanks

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't really worry about individual specs of the phones I get. I look at whether or not the overall phone works the way I need it to.

10. takeshi74, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everyone does not. Some do.

Why should they only "overtake" in terms of MP? Other aspects of image quality are important as well.

Not sure what the point of this was. Where did you pull component costs from and why does $25 matter for the sensor?

11. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice