You Suck at Photoshop: Iran missile edition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You've probably seen this by now, but if you haven't:

[​IMG]

The above photo appeared a couple of days ago, and purports to be the launching of four missiles from Iran. However, it didn't take folks long to spot something amiss with it...

[​IMG]

Just above is the original version of the picture, before the Iranian propaganda ministry got busy on it with Photoshop. Notice the one missile that didn't really fire.

I doubt many of us need it spelled out to them, but here's a third version showing exactly where they copied and pasted the photo:

[​IMG]

I mean, that's so freaking obvious it's laughable.

Now tell me...how am I supposed to be scared of a country that's not even good at Photoshop? :p

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not so much concerned by this as I am by just how many news outlets jumped on the story and ran with the obviously photoshopped image. Fact checking seems to be less and less important.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Not only that, but the entire missile launching seems to have been....

This is kind of funny. :eek: they sure fooled me.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The most telling aspect to this whole story is that, once again, the US appears to have no significant or reliable human intelligence sources who could tell them how many missiles were fired or what type of missiles these were. Types and numbers reported by the Pentagon have varied widely. Bear in mind that this is the standard of intelligence information upon which the US would rely in the event of someone wanting to launch an attack.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Methinks that the Iranians should leave the manufacturing of "evidence" to the US.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I suppose fear makes money in the media...

7. djellison macrumors 68020

The thing is - they don't suck at Photoshop. This image was picked up and ran by many newspapers and websites. It fooled them for a while at least ( which is all a Photoshop job can ever do)

What they suck at, is launching rockets.

Doug

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And that's just the way they like it.

What they do know will remain secret, unless it furthers their goals in the theatre of operation.

Otherwise, they will continue to use public perception to do their work, as provided by the "media".

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You KNOW the radical warmongers will deny this photoshopping occurred, and will continue to pronounce this as rock-solid evidence that we need to invade Iran ASAP.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And any 10 year old who has spent a day on an internet forum will be able to prove it was a Photoshop ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's as if they don't want reliable "humint" because it might upset their propaganda.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Unfortunately the 5 year olds running the US will shout and scream the loudest.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

?Que? Our newspaper ran the original 3-fer photo that was clearly labelled as a screen capture from Iranian television.

My question is -- where did the photoshopping take place? Given that the original was broadcast.... Isn't it just as likely that it was shopped somewhere downstream of the release?

How much do we know about the photos and stories that run in our media? How much can we trust the media outlets? I suggest not much and note very.

When national magazines photoshop OJ Simpson's face for the cover, to make him look blacker and more 'dangerous', and regularly add/subtract body features from celebrities to make them more atractive, what's an extra rocket or two? Especially if everyone will reflexively blame those stupid Iranians who can't photoshop worth a d%mn.

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Ahmadinijhad is just a big bully. just like the ones you encounter in 4th grade. he's all tough talk with absolutely nothing to back it up. his country hardly has any military what so ever; all he has is the threat of nukes and huge control of oil.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

And GWB is just the perfect playground playmate.
    :rolleyes:

16. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well Bush is that special child that constantly needs attention

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that's what we don't know.

The "four missile" shot was the one that was in all the papers. Was that the official photo released by Iran? And is so, how did someone happen to come by the original version of it? Did an inside source in Iran send it out? Or did the guy who shot it forward the picture to both the Iran government and to other news sources?

In which case the Iran government is doubly stupid to think that the original wouldn't show up somewhere.

BTW, I'm not doubting you, but that looks awfully good for a frame grab. Are you sure it's from a broadcast, and not a photo? (Maybe Iran got HD. :D )

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here's a slightly different one (showing three missiles) that appears to be a TV screen grab.

17227-5373.jpg

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just as easy to chop the before picture in with the actual event.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there, fixed that for you ;)

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

C'mon guys, don't be so harsh. Iran has strict internet censorship. How do you expect the Revolutionary Guard media wizards to sharpen their skills without cracked.com Photoshop contests?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Aren't you saying exactly the same thing in effect? :confused:

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hmm, yeah, I guess that's not much of a card to play. It's not like anyone wants oil...:rolleyes:

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

both the 3 and 4 missiles pics are photoshopped.

THIS is iran's real secret weapon, and why they needed to enrich the uranium:

[​IMG]

be afraid, be very afraid....

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yea I saw this on the news. I thought it was pretty funny.

Meanwhile in Iran someone getting their head chopped off for this.