You think it would be possible to get £400 for my iphone 4 after the 5 comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jul 15, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

How likely would it be to be able to sell my iphone 4 for around £400 pounds after the iphone 5 is released? I know may you could sell it for around that but if i wanted to take it into carephone warehouse for example what do you reckon i could get for it by sep time if the iphone 5 is out? any ideas?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Your guess is as good as the rest of us.

Kinda like wetting your finger and sticking it up in the air !

One thing is for certain is that you wont get anywhere near what it's worth.

I paid £504 for mine and currently places like CEX are offering to buy for £267.00 or trade in for £333.00 and then they sell them back to the public for £445.00 ! {Correct as of 15/7/11 for Grade a}

Firms where you send off your fone are averaging at around £265.00 !

You could try well known auction sites but your probably going to get a better deal from friends or colleagues.

I would advise that you hang onto your ip4 until the specs and looks of the ip5 have been officially confirmed to see what it brings new to the table.

Im awaiting the ios5 update which has the opportunity to bring new and exciting function to the ip4.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Certainly not 400 euros you will get less than that now.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'd be surprised to find anyone buying in euros (€) if the OP asks for pounds sterling (£)! ;)

£400 may be a bit high, if Apple continue their pattern of keeping the previous generation available when the 5 comes out they may well sell the 4 at around that price.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The op is talking about £'s sterling not euro's !

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

I likely won't sell it and will just wait till i can afford to buy one outright as my partner wants my iphone 4 when i get the 5. Which considering i'm getting married next summer money wise it won't be possible for a while.

Just want to see what options I have really.

Guess it depends how much they improve the phone and wether it will be worth upgrading.

7. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

I check o2 and carphone warehouse trade in offers every now and then, the prices just seem to keep dropping. I think waiting till new one comes out is bad idea as they will just be really low.
    I'm interested in what the original iPhone will fetch in about 30 years

8. Azmontana macrumors regular

Azmontana

I reckon you'd get around £350-400.

I sold my old 3G before the iPhone 4 came out (about a week before) and I got £350 for that. Bare in mind that it was two years old too.

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

When I received my IP4 (launch day) I then put my 3GS up on eBay with a buy now price of £300. When I checked on eBay 8 mins later it had sold and the money was sitting in my paypal account.

Fastest thing I have ever sold, but it did make me wonder if I should have asked £350 for it.

Saying that I had a brand new IP4 and £300 extra in the bank so I wasnt complaining :)

10. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I'm selling mine on a forum
    No fees and you get top price. I've been offered £410 for it last week.

Don't use cex or those trade in places they're a rip off and you'll never get a good price.

11. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

http://www.o2recycle.co.uk/

This is the best way to sell your phone with no bs from cex or private buyers. For example my phone IPhone 4 16gb I would get 268£. O2 do not mess about either. If your phone is in good condition you get the full price offered!

12. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

That's an awful price

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

400 pounds sterling translates to about 615 Canadian dollars and I know that in my city it's impossible to get anywhere above $400 for a used iPhone 4 considering a new 16GB retails for $659. $400 Canadian is 260 GBP.

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Woops, they look so similar I can't really tell a difference. My point that I doubt you can get 400 euros still stands.

15. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Asking for £400 now is a bit too much compared to what I've seen others go for, so I would say no.

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Nope we just replied at the same'ish time dude.

17. drpellypo macrumors 6502

They are going for £400 on eBay. To sell for less somewhere else is madness. Mine has two days left ofnauction and already up to near £300. I think the price will go down from here on in though.

18. drpellypo macrumors 6502

It doesn't work like that sadly. To buy a contract free iPhone 4 in the UK it costs £499 which is $768. And that's a reduced price because every network in the UK carries the phone now. When it first came out it was something like £529 iirc. You also have to factor in the eBay users that can't be bothered to look around the shops so will pay more for the simplicity of eBay/paypal.