You think you miss Google Maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kannesss, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

2. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

Uhh you guys do realize just because google had these features doesn't mean the iPhone would have them? What real updates did google ever have to the maps app of the iPhone?

I think too many people here miss the real big picture of the departure of google maps. Now apple has the chance to create an in house mapping app they can update and grow. It's their first version of the damn thing for Christ sakes.

It also means if Apple isn't stepping up to the plate google can now have their own app that can be updated on their own schedule as opposed to waiting for iOS updates.

3. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

If apple gets this, i would be so surprised, and i would pay for it. It just sucks timing wise, since they did sorta have a year left with the contract, in which they could have developed apple maps further. either way, this is a cool feature, they now have on google maps or is coming soon. And that seems unlikely with apple maps at the moment, unless they release a huge update for it

4. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Wait wait, your base is that they messed up due to Ocean View. It's a gimmick at most....and always remember that Google Maps v 1.0 really stunk

5. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not ocean view mainly, just that they could have developed their own maps app, up to google maps par atleast, and still used google maps on the phones as easily.. It's just jumping the gun, for small reasons that don't seem to make people happy.

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

Has anyone noticed the tagline at the end of the video?

"Hello World."

Seems like the blows are steadily getting below the beltline

7. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

every phone company is going to use apple maps mess-up as a huge campaign.

8. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I'm with you on that, I think people are taking this maps thing too far. Google maps on iPhone was pretty arse end for navigation, no turn by turn etc. I only used it twice, Tom Tom was my solution two years ago.

Btw this king of thing will be available in Google Earth surely ? Which is already a iPad app.

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I actually used Apple's maps for the first time today (not the messing around with it, to reproduce the problems people have posted)... and it wasn't bad.

I used the turn by turn on a 60 mile drive and it worked perfectly. At least as well as turn by turn on my wife's Galaxy Nexus. I completely understand that, for some areas and certainly abroad, there are huge issues. But I was pleasantly surprised. It got me there and back again.

10. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

I'm loving Apple maps, its amazing, and the turn by turn is brilliant.

Apple is just starting out on the mapping, and have done a wonderful job kickstarting.

I will not be downloading Google Maps when they produce an app, I'm more than happy with the Apple version.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.