You wanna hear what an Apple Genius told me today when replacing my iPhone 4 again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

This is the third iPhone 4 I've had since launch and when I told him what was wrong [proximity sensor, bluetooth disabling, signal] he said that this is the last iPhone 4 that he could exchange for the same reason. I said WHAT?

You can't sell me that has these problems and not replace/exchange it until I get one that works, correct?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Just get one from Apple over the phone. They test them before they send them out(or so I was told).

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

He can say whatever he wants. If it's defective, you can exchange it.

4. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

They could be keeping tabs on exchanges on a Genius booking basis.

5. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

It may be an internal limitation on their little genius software they use to submit the replacement request. I'm sure phone support would hook you up. Some guy posted earlier that he was on replacement #7 (amazing to me...)

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I would have politely told him that he would be either exchanging or fixing untill it was done right. Or just return and re buy. Almost always a loop hole.

7. tangokim macrumors member

just got my i4 replace due to yellow spot on screen when using in the sun for period of time. the apple guy told me these are normal n if you get that yellow spot due to how it was built and that's how ip4 was design. wtf? i cant believe it either but at least they replaced it.

8. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Why didn't you ask why?

There are so many reports here at what people get told at the Apple store, and no one seems to ever ask the obvious questions, they just accept it and leave.

9. tangokim macrumors member

i ask him why, but he kept saying that's just how the ip4 was design. he also told me that these ip4 is defective n they get a lot of return.lol

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"...before I quit and hang myself." was probably what was muttered under his breath.

11. otis123 macrumors 6502a

He is most likely tired of exchanging phones for you. A lot of people just don't get it, working retail sucks. You are entitled to a defect free working phone, but it gets to a point where enough is enough. I had to order my phone because I couldn't find one in stock, and except from the attenna issue it's flawless.

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I went to Apple last week to exchange my iphone due to a yellow screen discoloration and when he handed me the new phone the home button was loose. So I asked him "Is it possible to get another phone because this one's home button is loose, if you don't mind?" He replied "It is within spec, I can give you another one but I can't guarantee the new one won't have the same problem" I said "yes please exchange it out if you don't mind". He then said "Ok I can give you a new one and I do mind"

I don't know what his problem was...he is paid to help the customers out and he cocks up an attitude. At least I got a new phone :)

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah, it sounds like an episode of Lost. :D

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Nah don't worry about it. With my 3G they said that to me to as i replaced it my 3rd time. I came back again because that one had some issue too (i think it was a light leak on the bezel which was crazy annoying at night) and i just never mentioned the last exchanges and what not. they exchanged. done and done.

hopefully it'll be like that for you too (if you have another issue)

15. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Lol. Don't worry about it. Some genius in the UK said that to me with my 3G.

Little story for you. I swapped my original 3G because the back case cracked. No problems, they swapped it outright.

I have what I think is a perfect 3G until I use the phone in bed that night and notice a massive light leak running top to bottom on the left. Book another appointment.

The genius then takes my leaking phone in to a dark room and tells me he can't see anything. I said you've got to be kidding it's obvious. And showed him with my hands cupped around it. He stood his ground and said he will swap it for me but these were his words:

' We will exchange it this time, but this is a official warning now *points finger at me*, we will not swap any more iPhone 3G's under your warranty'. I sat there with my jaw on the floor. I just said whatever, if it's defective, it's defective and I have a right to have a solution.

Funnily enough, I never needed to take that 3G back.

16. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

wow this thread is just for me. when i got my 3Gs I constantly had battery issues and the "genius" would always scowl or give me attitude and this one kid had the nerve to say real condescending to me, "alright now this is your last one ok? have a good one." he should've been fired on the spot. It now makes me dread to go to the apple store cause these douches got this holier than thou attitude. apple really needs to fix their customer service and ditch the attitude.

17. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

No, I meant why didn't you ask why there's this supposed limit on how many times you're allowed to exchange a defective phone?

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Yeah, I dread going to the Apple store too since the people probably recognize me now. Good thing I have 2 Apple stores reasonably accessible so I can spread out my appointments. Too bad they can probably see my repair history and think I'm just trying to get replacement products when the QA is just plain bad.

19. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Hopefully I dont have to go back but at least I've got four to choose from in my area.. :)

20. itryanditry macrumors member

Can't return and re-buy after the phone is swapped out once.

Once, I sat next to a guy who was swapping out a phone for the 8th time at the Genius Bar. He did seem more or less like a hypochondriac. :rolleyes:

and with all due respect to the OP, I'd say swapping out the phone even as many times as you have is a bit much. (Hasn't even been a month yet, hoss.)

Proximity sensor and signal? Those are two things that are known issues with the iPhone 4, one of which is being highlighted in the media and blogs like crazy. If I brought my iPhone 4 in for simple "signal" issues, I'd likely have the same thing happen at an Apple Store.

Future ref, though - having AppleCare on the phone allows you to have an advanced replacement type thing. I did it with my 3GS and AppleCare sent me a phone first before I had to send them my 3GS for analysis. It coulda been anything (restore, actual hardware issue) but I got to keep the new phone regardless. Maybe go that route if you're a multi-swapper. Or have multiple issues on four separate handsets. What have you.

21. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Can't the replacement just be tested in the store before accepting it? Do they allow that?

If they won't exchange it, just return it.

22. cwerdna macrumors 6502

You sure it wasn't there from the start and would've gone away by itself? See http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4s-yellow-spot-issue-goes-away-with-a-bit-of-time/.

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I have a wiggley home button and a yellow spot on left corner part of screen. Im afraid to get a replacement bc my reception and proximity is perfect.

Any ideas what I should do?

24. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but certainly in the UK that policy would be very illegal. If a product is defective, then you are entitled by law to a repair or replacement at the very least.

25. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

same in the US, and if something is shown defective more then 3 times they are requried by law to return the product for you if you wish...

It's amazing when I see threads like this because I have had no problems with mine, and neither have any of my friends...