You will never guess what I saw in the Best Buy ad this morning!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Can you believe it? SL installation for $40? That's more than the OS itself! I don't know what kind of people buy this crap. It's easier than you can imagine to install OS X. And how are they going to make sure it's "ready when you get home?"

Attachments

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
BB has been doing this everything - even charging to rip your cd collection.
Are you serious? I'd like to see how many people actually buy this.

If everybody's CD collection is like my family's, it'll take hours to rip on nice settings.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I still don't know what the "ready when you get home" part means. Do they do this at your house while you go shopping or something?

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Lol to above post. No way would I trust people fiddling around and installing an ENTIRE OS on my computer... which contains all my digital information...

That's the price (haha) for not doing your research.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
You have to realize that a good portion of people now buying Mac's are people who think that by getting a Mac they don't have to worry about how the thing runs, or how to do the upkeep. Apple's marketing has convinced them that they turn it on, and it just works. So when it comes to installing an entire O/S, these same people are going to not want to hassle with it because they don't know what's involved, and $39 on top of a computer they just paid $1,000 or more, is not big deal. Best Buy saw a market, and they are going after it. Luckily a free market system gives us choices as consumers, I commend them for trying to make money for the company.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
What I want to know is whether they are selling Macs with SL already installed - and so the $39 is to open the box and create your user account. Or, whether they are providing an upgrade service to users with Leopard.

Does anyone know?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
What I want to know is whether they are selling Macs with SL already installed - and so the $39 is to open the box and create your user account. Or, whether they are providing an upgrade service to users with Leopard.

Does anyone know?
Well the MBP in the ad has Leopard on it, so it could go either way, IMO.

But I'd be really pissed if all they did is turn it on and create my user account. And that asks for some information I'd rather not give to a mindless Best Buy employee.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Can you believe it?
Yes I can believe it considering how many times I've read about people waiting for Apple to preinstall Snow Leopard before they buy a new Mac instead of just upgrading SN themselves with the included upgrade CD.

People who frequent tech forums like this one are usually pretty knowledgeable about computers but a good portion of the general public have a hard time even sending email properly. ;)