Young Christian woman executed by Taliban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by madoka, Oct 20, 2008.

1. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081020/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan – Taliban gunmen killed a Christian aid worker in Kabul as she was walking to work on Monday, and the militant group said it targeted the woman because she was spreading her religion.

The dual South African-British national, who worked with handicapped Afghans, was shot to death by gunmen who drove by on a motorbike in western Kabul, said Interior Ministry spokesman Zemeri Bashary.

The Taliban claimed responsibility.

"This woman came to Afghanistan to teach Christianity to the people of Afghanistan," militant spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told The Associated Press. "Our (leaders) issued a decree to kill this woman. This morning our people killed her in Kabul."

The aid group SERVE — Serving Emergency Relief and Vocational Enterprises — identified the woman as 34-year-old Gayle Williams. A spokeswoman for the group in Kabul denied that its workers were proselytizing, which is prohibited by law in Afghanistan.

"It's not the case that they preach, not at all," said the spokeswoman, Rina van der Ende.

---------------------------------------
    Attached is a pic of the woman murdered.

I guess moderate Muslims were too busy protesting a video game to care or notice:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/religious-outcry-sparks-littlebigrecall/1257227

The "social platforming" game is already gathering rave reviews, but it hasn't proven popular with one Muslim group, which issued a complaint to the game's publisher Sony concerning one background music track. Performed by award-winning Malian musician Toumani Diabate, the song quotes two verses from the Qur'an. Many Muslims consider the mixing of music and scripture to be deeply offensive.

Although the game is already pressed, packaged, and reportedly sitting in the back rooms of many worldwide retailers awaiting its original Oct. 21 debut, gamers eager to get hold of it will have to wait at least another week while the offending content is expunged. Updated versions of the game are expected to be shipped to stores during the week of October 27.

Attached Files:

2. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

For the love of all thats holy....Why on earth does an educated person put themselves in a position of going back into time to be proselytizing to a people in a country that will KILL YOU if caught....??? :eek::eek:

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Why are we expunging two verses of the Qu'ran from a videogame? Do you honestly think a game would be delayed like this to remove "offensive" Biblical content? "Offensive" scientific content? Completely absurd and ridiculous.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mission accomplished, W! Mission accomplished! :rolleyes:

We shouldn't. Let the whack-jobs' heads spin like tops.

5. stomer macrumors 6502a

In most situations, I would agre with you.

I think Sony is probably looking at the situation pragmatically. In the end it's just a whole lot easier and safer for their employees if they just remove the music.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm not sure if I should be surprised at how the OP linked the two stories together, or at the response from everybody else for Sony making an informed business decision. :rolleyes:

7. madoka thread starter macrumors 6502

madoka

I'm guessing Sony wouldn't remove offensive Bibical or scientific content due to low fears of retaliation. Can't really imagine a Christian suicide bomber or scientists who kidnap and behead their captives.

8. madoka thread starter macrumors 6502

madoka

Sorry. Yahoo has the two stories right next to each other on their frontpage right now. The video game story was "featured," while the girl getting murdered was treated as just a news blurb.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And in the end- that's how the wackos win.

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, exactly. Extremists and terrorists are like small children in that sense - if you cave in once because they threaten to throw a wobbly, they'll know they can push for more next time.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I doubt what you said in the first post was also on Yahoo. :rolleyes:

When I read the story, a beta tester for Sony informed this that this could be offensive and they decided to take action. They decided it wasn't worth it to their reputation to include that.

That lady's murder is horrific, and has nothing to do with the other story. Maybe you should give each its own thread to have each topic discussed properly?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh-huh. What a load of crap. I'd rather be dead than placate the Taliban. Once again, how is Afghanistan better now?

Thanks again W, for taking your eyes off the prize and going to avenge daddy's rep instead.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Preach, no, teach by example, yes.

That's why she was killed.

14. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

There's already a thread about the game here... although if that thread continues along the same lines as this one I'm sure it would have to be moved here anyway.

With both sides in the story about the woman saying exactly what you'd expect from them, I have mixed feelings. It's truly deplorable of the Taliban to have killed her, regardless of what she'd allegedly done, but - if she really was - attempting to preach Christianity in a country like Afghanistan is ignorant at best.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But this is the same crap that was going on in Afghanistan before we invaded. How exactly has it gotten better? Oh wait- it hasn't. We've been too busy wasting time, resources and lives in Iraq.

16. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Without being too desensitized over this issue - I have to say she got what was coming! :rolleyes:

17. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I don't really think I can say anything to that other than wholeheartedly agreeing.

Although at the risk of going wildly off-topic, the way you said "before we invaded" really reminded me of this.

Well, you've no danger of that happening ;)

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can't watch vids at work. What's it about?

19. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

A sketch about football from That Mitchell & Webb Look... amusing but totally irrelevant, so just forget I ever mentioned it ;)

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I recognize that the connection between the two stories is tenuous at best, hence I chose to ignore it and focus on the news story. The civilized world should not be held hostage by religious extremists of any creed, and a video game recall at this point is illegitimate self-censure at the behest of a radical group that is increasingly finding itself capable of steering the masses through acts of terror. Freedom of expression is one of our most fundamental freedoms, and we should not be willing to give it up so easily because we are afraid someone may "take offense". No form of expression or speech should be subject to religious approval or measured against religious violence. Furthermore, no reasonable organization should be in a position where it has to withhold it's product for fear of the safety of it's employees from radical and violent ideology.

21. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

In related news from the last two days, about 30 bus passengers were killed by Taliban in South Afghanistan last week. Today, a suicide bomber killed two German soldiers and five children that happened to be close by (link in German).

The war in Afghanistan is waging now for more than 7 years (!), and just like the Soviet Union, the NATO (to avoid saying "we", although I mean us too) needs to realize that the Taliban can not be defeated by military force. As long as the political and religious leaders of the Taliban can control the people in that region, they will use their ideology to strengthen their position. For those leaders, the war is a godsend. Not only does it offer a common enemy to fight against, it also worsens the economic situation for the people, driving them more deeply into dependency.

The question for the Western countries is whether to retreat or not. Unfortunately, I see no good future for Afghanistan either way.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

^^^ Where are you guys getting the "terrorist group threats" regarding the game? out of thing air?

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. Well said, my handsome Canadian friend. ;)

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Muslims already said they were "deeply offended". There is no reason to change a game because some group or another is "deeply offended". No one would expect that to happen for Christians, now would they? Why should they do it for Muslims?

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Except that 1 billion people is not a terror group, and any business who's brand very well known in the world (Sony?) would be careful to ensure that its image is not damaged because of a computer game. I think Sony was smart in avoiding the whole issue by choosing not to offend people.

/end off topic posts?

Edit: if we are gonna talk the game, we should take it to this thread: link