Young Woman Plans To End Her Life On Nov. 1 – Explains ‘It’s Not Suicide’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bmt134, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bmt134 macrumors 6502

http://www.inquisitr.com/1522881/yo...d-her-life-on-nov-1-explains-its-not-suicide/

(PSA: Don't read the comments found below the article.)

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't see the problem, she is ending her life with dignity & on her terms. not sure I would have the strength to do so

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, it is suicide but so what? It's also an exclamation of free will.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

agreed. you should have the freedom to end your life as you see fit w/o stigma being attached to it.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I also don't see what interest the government has in not letting a terminally ill person be humanely euthanized like we do for our pets. It all comes down to an ideological argument, it's something that apparently many lawmakers are morally opposed to. This might be something that can be quicker solved through the courts. People are suffering every day because of a lack of laws like the one in Oregon.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It is suicide, but it is in a situation where I respect her choice to commit suicide as I can understand not wanting to die a slow, painful, and inevitable death.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Or expensive death. Why leave your family a ton of bills if you know for sure you are going to die ?

My plan is simple. Body is just s carcass. Let science have it after any good organs are donated. No casket for me. Just another worthless expense taking up land.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think we need some new terminology. It is suicide but the word carries a lot of negative weight. What this woman is doing is proactive and positive.

There was a great article in The Atlantic recently about a guy who wanted to only live until 75. It was pretty compelling. Why live to 100 when the vast majority of us will suffer significant disability after the age of 70.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't agree with that so much. I don't think you should be able to commit doctor assisted suicide just because you reach a certain age. This is something that should be reserved for the terminally ill. Can't have depressed people going around killing themselves with doctors help.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It is suicide but I don't have a problem with it. I can't see any reason that it should be illegal.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He didn't want to commit suicide just no invasive measures, no drug treatment, etc.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

By definition, it is suicide. But I don't have an issue with suicide. Only the law does, which I find rather bizarre. I wish her a peaceful and happy death.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

After reading your comment, for some reason I keep hearing shouting voices, "Renew, Renew…"

[​IMG]

15. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Funny how perspective change when death is right at your doorstep. She came to the conclusion that her time was done and accepted her faith. Let her die in peace.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I have no problem with what she is doing.

17. dec. Suspended

dec.

There are plenty of cases - like this one - where assisted suicide is completely acceptable, she definitely appears to be in a mental state where she is 100% aware of her situation, her decision and the consequences.

Too late, I did... Seems like she's just praying wrong... ;)

18. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I agree that assisted suicide should be available for those that are terminally ill but nothing else.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But what about those who just want to end it?

20. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Help is available for those that just want to end it. No help can save a terminally ill person.

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No, a doctor should not be legally able to help those who just want to end it and are not terminally ill.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Why does it have to be someone terminally ill? There are some people, that for whatever reason just don't want to be here. Truthfully, it is their life. If the want to end it, shouldn't they have that right? Do we have a right to force them to live?

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No one is forcing them to live. They can still end their life if they choose, it is just no one is going to help them do it.

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Because it will hurt other people and suicide is contagious.

25. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Because for many of them it's not that they "just don't want to be here", it's because they have a disease. By letting them off themselves is akin to not protecting or trying to save anyone else with any other kind of disease.