youngest age for a child to be using an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiegeek1225, Jul 8, 2012.

1. techiegeek1225 macrumors member

Just had this in mind, what do you think is the earliest age a child should be using an iPhone or iPad?

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

The threshold age seems to be younger and younger as time goes by..

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Depends on the child and how sensible they are. My daughter has an iPod touch which is a much cheaper option in case of any little accidents.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

Depends on the kid and how well you know him or her some might say 10 others say like 13 but like I said as a parent if you know your kid and trust them that's the biggest part. And I am taking about owning the said device not just using mom or dads. But then again you always going to see thoes kids who have parents with out a clue who buy the 5 year old an iPad and then thee kid breaks it and the parent wonders why.

5. techiegeek1225 thread starter macrumors member

It's true, it seems that kids nowadays are more into these latest technologies than books. Cannot deny that we are really visual... Can you recommend apps that are suited for kids?

6. kaielement macrumors 65816

And by the way I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 18 because my parents were like if you want a cell phone your going to have to pay for it and get your own contract but that was just because when I need to use a cell phone my mom just let me use hers and she never say the point in me being added to their plan. So I guess every parent is different

7. noteple macrumors 65816

The two yr old loves the iPad.

IPhone (3g) with out cellular about the same.

Most children thinks its a wonderful toy.

No concept that it's a $300 toy so both are in heavy cases.

Have already witnessed the iPhone thrown across the room like a ball.

But a seventeen year old can also toss it into the purse and then drop the purse 4 ft onto the floor at the mall.

Don't think it's entirely age related

8. techiegeek1225 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, so true! :D
    These are costly devices that should be used by kids responsibly, under adult supervision! :apple:

9. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

My son is 16 and is completely OCD over his phone. Puts it in the bulkiest cases and worries about the smallest scratch.

10. Shrink, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A $650 glass device for a child...

I know I'm old and out of it, but there is something...how shall I say this...decadent about that.

When someone can afford to buy it, support the necessary contract payments on it, and afford to break it - that is the age.

Sorry...the musings of an old man form a different time and era.:)

11. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

My son is 13 and he has had dumb phones since he was 10 or 11, this year i am going to get him a smartphone at some point

12. jplusc macrumors 6502a

My 6mo old plays with my iPhone and iPad all the time. Guided access in ios 6 is amazing. When I upgrade to the new iPhone this year my 4s will go to my wife and her 4 will go to the baby as a toy (with no cellular service of course).

13. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Whenever a child can pay for the phone and cell phone plan.

14. Indy21 macrumors 6502

My oldest son has an iPhone. He's 7 now but he had it when he was 6 1/2.

It's an old 3GS model with cellular deactivated. My brother gave it to me because he got a 4s, so I gave it to him and he was totally stoked!

He use to beg to use mommy and daddy's phone and now we don't have to be without since he has all of his favorite games whenever he wants.

It's great to just have the wifi option to as he can watch some of his favorite shows on Netflix.

I have a 1 year old as well, he may have his a little earlier than his big brother, lol.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I let me girls use my iPhone, they're 6. In fact they've been using my phone since they were 4.

They also have my hand me down iPhones with the sim chip pulled, so its like a iPod touch

16. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If your on GSM get him the unlocked nexus Its a lot cheaper and its more durable. The iPhone unfortunately doesn't seem to take a two year contract worth of abuse well. I see far too many cracked screens. Your also not locking yourself into having to have a data plan on his line for two years in case you change your mind.

17. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Or one of these

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_us/brands/babytoys/products/64176

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

iPhone after they've finished their freshman year in high school. An iPod Touch after they've mastered simple mathematics. Otherwise you're just asking for frustration later on.

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I kind of have to agree with you, old timer. :p

I got my first phone at 16, under the condition that I paid for my texting plan. When I got my second phone at 18, that extended to a share of the total monthly bill. And since I got my 4S a month ago, my dad and I split the bill, and I cover my 2GB data plan as well. It definitely keeps you accountable for stuff, as well as making you even more protective about the device you have bought with your own money.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your progression of responsibility sounds like a very sensible plan between you and your parents.

"Old timer", huh. No respect from you young whippersnappers these days!!;):D

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

I handed down my iPad 2 to my than 19 month old when I got new iPad. That's his to use everyday. And he's very good at getting to his apps. He will occasionally take my new iPad. But knows the white cover iPad 2 is his and my black new iPad is mine.

My kid is picky. I tried to hand me down an iPhone 3GS and he didn't want it. He wanted my 4S.

Kids pick up things quickly.

As for paying for phone service. Most of my friends with kids over 12 have iPhones for their children.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Kids should be phone literate ASAP. Figure 4 or 5.

Actually having their own phone. 14 or 15 at the earliest on a super strict plan.

23. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Just to add...my 2 year old has her own "iPhone" that's my old 3G, deactivated, in airplane mode. I've loaded kid music and a bunch of games for her. She's been able to "slide to unlock," find, and launch her own apps since she was 18 months old. It's really quite amazing. We have a simple speaker dock in her room, and use a music timer app to play her night-time "fall to sleep" music.

She also knows her way around the "family" iPad. Has more games/apps for her along with a bunch of kid TV shows (like Barney and Elmo). She knows which folder has her apps in it.

Whenever the iPhone 5 comes out, I'm sure she'll get my 4 too.

Just imagine how comfortable she'll be when she's finally ready for a phone of her own - the iPhone 15 (or maybe it'll just be "the new iPhone).

24. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I think the important thing is to not let a kid of any age spend too much time on devices. They should be resting their eyes and spending time with other kids to develop social skills. Last think we need is more anti-social kids social networking.