Your 30 second Apple Watch review. (must have owned 14 days or more)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by audirs5, Jun 2, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Would love to see feedback in a few sentences from users who have made it a part of their lives.. hence the 14 day rule.

2. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

Owned for over a month. It has fantastic build quality, great software (however with a few bugs here and there). Not essential to my life, however it has motivated me to workout a little more and track my fitness patterns. Great for notifications and taking the quick call here and there. Overall, a great little addition to the Apple family, however, hopefully increased function with more software updates. :)

3. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Owned since launch day and overall very happy I purchased.

Does everything it's advertised to do reasonably well: I get email, text, and call notifications regardless of where my phone is, hourly reminders to increase my activity level, tracking and daily assessments of how active I have (or haven't) been, and haptic directions so I can use the Maps app without advertising myself as unfamiliar with the area I'm in.

My few complaints are that there are insufficient band options for the Sport models, fully hands-free input is spotty in its reliability, some battery-saving measures (face turning off, HR monitor only activating when using Workout or remaining entirely motionless) are a bit OTT, and in general there are a few things (faces, text responses) which should be more customizable for "the most personal device" I own.

I'm looking forward to seeing where future software (and later hardware) upgrades are going to take this product category.

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Since launch.

Looks fantastic in person, all models do. Integrated very nicely with my life. Timekeeping looks great, notifications are subtle and smooth, but the fitness tracking (while not perfect) is the best feature, imo. Great motivator to keep moving, and the rings really make you want to accomplish your goals each day! It's not the perfect wearable, but it's a darn good one. To summarize based off of what Tim Cook said, I could definitely live without it, but I wouldn't want to.

5. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and will likely upgrade next year (especially for GPS). ATM, the watch seems buggy. Sometimes I seem to miss notifications. The heart rate monitor takes too long to measure unless you're in the workout app. But overall, text and email notifications on my watch are really nice and I actually find myself replying from my watch because Siri works so well.

Favorite feature: Running without my phone. Calibrated the watch during track runs and find it is less accurate running on park trails where elevation varies (watch said my 5 mile run was only 4.85. I'm gonna try calibrating it again on the trails). I use bluetooth sport headphones and don't have to strap my phone to my arm. I'm so tired of wearing my phone.

6. shanshor macrumors regular

It's the only device that I don't use. You forget it's even there.

And I mean that in a good way. Every other device I have is what I would call an 'active' device. Desktops, notebooks, tablets, PMPs, and phones are only useful if you're currently engaged with them. After all, if you leave your Macbook open on your desk, it won't accomplish anything by itself. That's how AW is different; it's a passive device. You don't get value from it by staring at it all day or by downloading the newest apps. It's not a phone. It's similar to when the first iPad was revealed, no one expected to sit down with it and write a 30 page essay on a touch display with underpowered software. Just as iPad couldn't replace a PC; the watch won't replace any of your devices. It's another device. It's starkly different than anything you own, and that's a good thing. Apple nailed the philosophy of the smartwatch. The rest will come.

7. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

Disappointing.

As a watch person it's kind of fail. Having to fling your wrist like a madman just to look at the time is awful. If you're doing any kind of sport and want to glance at your watch at your stats its really really hard, you have to run and keep your wrist super level while you fling it up to get the display to work. Or you can use your other finger to get the display to turn on.

All my issues revolve around the display not being on LONG enough and it being a tad difficult to turn on.

Apple dropped the ball hard by not allowing users to set the display timeout.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Best iPhone accessory I have ever purchased and its worth the money.

Really I cannot complain. I love my Watch. I never wore a watch before, and at first it annoyed me because it was weird having something on my wrist. Now, its always on me from when I leave the house until I go to bed. I never realize its there nowadays and I love the gentle taps it gives me versus the loud, yet some how still undetectable, vibration of my iPhone. I notice a lot of people are saying they don't like it because it doesn't do much. I disagree. It's a watch, not an iPhone. It's a companion device, not an entire device. I've seen people spend more on watches that are just that, watches. They do nothing more then tell the time and look like a nice wrist ornament. The Apple Watch brings the brains, and beauty in one simple to use package. They did it with the iPhone. Now they did it to the Watch market.

Apple Watch owner since 4/24/15.

9. Prattdizzle macrumors member

Prattdizzle

I have never worn a watch and now I have my apple watch I have no idea what I did prior to this. It has become my go to device for messaging and phone calls. Siri is possibly the greatest voice recognition system out on the market right now and she has been implemented on the apple watch perfectly. Furthermore my watch gives me taps that at first I thought were weak however now I have gotten so used to them I notice taps every time without even thinking about it.

Honestly it is one of the best devices I have owned. So much so I made a Youtube video about my watch

Enjoy and I hope this helps.

10. echo4sierra macrumors member

echo4sierra

didnt use siri much before the watch-now i use it for so many things-calendar events, adding reminders, timer, messages. love haptics-can sneak a peak without looking at phone. breaking news from NYT is awesome. and telling me to stand up and move around-at first was kind of a nag, now i love it!

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Had mine 3-4 weeks now and I have to say after not having a watch for 17 years it's weird not having this thing on. The simplicity of what apple has done is perfect!

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I just wish Hey Siri worked better lol.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do you have an issue?

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah half the time Siri won't respond and if I wait for it to respond and it does, it doesn't let me finish speaking before it says "Sorry". I find it easier to just hold the crown in and activate it that way.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Can't say I've had this issue to be honest. I roll my watch wait for the screen to show up and say the magic words.

16. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Had it since launch and I love it. I miss it when I don't wear it.

17. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

If your resting heart rate is accurately depicted in that video, you MIGHT want to go see a doctor dude...

18. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Very nice review ... suggestions for your next. Set your camera for a fixed focus so it stays focused though out the video. Also have clean nails. :)

19. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

The SS watch is beautiful. The screen bezel is mostly invisible and is great, as is having a sapphire screen. I'd be seriously hosed without it. Notifications and haptic feedback are just way too cool. Like using twitter, little bits of information everywhere and if I am interested, I can find out more.

Modularity and the ease of which it can be accomplished is just stupendous. Change a band to match your clothing or activity? Sure, takes only 15 seconds! Relaxing and want a simple, gorgeous display of time and jellyfish? Heading to work where every second counts and need a traditional face? Going to the gym instead and want a quick overview of time & activity? Awesome, only takes 5 seconds to change! It is like having several dozen different watches in one. That's f%&king awesome!

Oh and need to clean the crown? Just rinse it under the sink! (nearly had a heart attack doing that).

Although there are issues, this is an awesome Gen 1 and future software updates should be very exciting!

20. utekineir macrumors 6502

21. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

TL,DR:
    Now that the newness has worn off I still love it. It is more about using two devices less than I used one device previously than being a whole new device. The HR monitor is fairly accurate until you do something intense or with bent wrist. The third party apps improved with 1.0.1 but need to be native. The build quality and finish are typical Apple. Apple pay is cool... if you could actually use it anywhere.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My biggest complaint about my watch is the notifications. If I am moving around I do not feel the haptic "pats" over half the time. In a less than quiet area the little "ding" is not heard either. I can not see Apple fixing this and the watch disables all of my phones notifications so I depend on the little red dot showing on the watch face.

This morning, woke up and took watch off the charger and after two or three hours I noticed my watch is not getting ANY notifications from my phone! Yet my phone remains silent. This is getting scary as I got to be able to hear that I got an email or text from my customers. I am resetting my AW again to see if it starts working again.

Not sure what to do if it does not:(

23. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

Amazing ! I can never live without going forward. Cant wait till version 2/3/4 !

24. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Had mine two weeks tomorrow.. Hope I qualify (I have come from several other fitness watches with some smart watch capabilities though...)

The good (over other devices I have used):
    Haptic feedback so much more subtle than a vibration especially in a meeting.
    Turn by turn directions for walking in the same regard is discrete (even if I had two quick succession right hand turns at lunch and my watch felt like it was having a seizure).
    Actioning notifications is a big thing for me - e.g those text messages I get from the credit card company, mobile phone provider telling my bill is ready (all paid by direct debit) can be cleared.

The not so good:
    Not always on display when exercising outdoors makes it more difficult to see progress.
    3rd party apps can run slowly, expecting improvement when they are native
    Fitness app on phone is currently dire. Do a 5 mile walk? No splits, heart rate graph, etc. much as I hate some of the Garmin modern interface, the apple one needs to take a look in that direction.

25. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Since launch, it is a beautiful piece of tech gadgetry/jewelry. Not essential to my life but it does increase the quality of my life in terms of convenience, a central point of all communications as a first stop. Like others, it encourages me to be more active and makes workouts more enjoyable. I love it, and it is weird to not have it on my arm at this point.