Your advise on a strange iOS 4.3.5 after previous 5.0.1 update then restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eladm, Nov 24, 2011.

1. eladm macrumors newbie

Hi experts,
    I wanted to ask for your advise:
    I bought an iPhone 4 which was restored to 4.3.5 with baseband 4.10.01. My plan was to unlock using Gevey and wait for the untethered + unlock of iOS 5.
    After loading it in TinyUmbrella the only saved SHSH i received on the screen is "5.0.1 (9A405) .. ".
    Again - the phone "About" screen claims 4.3.5 with baseband 4.10.01 - i checked with the previous owner and he did upgrade to 5.0.1 before wiping the phone to sell it to me.

I jailbroke tethered using Redsnow and tried Gevey - which didnt work (I assume because of the 5.0.1 past).

Now I am faced with a choice:
    1. Upgrade to 5.0.1 using iTunes and sell the phone
    2. Wait for hopefully an unlock of the 4.10.01 baseband (and hope that the 5.0.1 past wouldnt cause troubles with the future unlock)
    3. anything else ?

I love the Iphone 4 (arent we all) and not sure what I should do. What would you recommend ?

Thanks in advanced !!!

E

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Would you please confirm few things?

1. You said, on the phone it has 4.3.5, baseband 04.10. Would you please check one more time to make sure it has baseband of 04.10?
    2. Which network are you on now? If you are in US and trying to use it on T-Mobile. Make sure you turn off 3G first before starting the Gevey process.

3. eladm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Crystal-RX
    Just checked again. I know, it's strange as the previous owner upgrade to 5.0.1 and I thought this should update the baseband. But it says 4.10.01 in the "About" screen.

Yes, I am in the US and on T-mobile. 3G was turned-off..

What do you think?
    Thanks
    E

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

The previous might upgrade the phone to 5.0.1 fw while preserving its baseband. He/she then restore it back to 4.3.5 prior to selling it to you.

Can you try to do a hard reboot on the phone? (hold power & home button at the same time for about 10-15 seconds, release them both, then turn on your phone normally. You need to boot tethered because you are on 4.3.5) then try Gevey sim again. If it is not working, then it might be the problem with the Gevey sim because Gevey sim will work with all basebands 04.10 and below.

5. eladm thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the gevey anymore, I tried it before buying and since it didn't work I didn't buy. We did try a reboot, but not a reset as you mentioned, just a normal reboot with tethered boot.
    Given that the Gevey doesn't work with my device, what would you recommend? Wait for a software unlock that will hopefully work on 4.10.01? Or if this is unlikely, restore to 5.0.1 using iTunes and sell it?

Thanks again

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

For sure Gevey work with your phone. I have 2 phones with baseband 04.10 in my family( 1 with 4.3.5 and 1 with OS5 fw) and Gevey works with them. If you want to make sure it works, there are lot of ads on your local craigslist where people advertise Gevey and they will make sure it works for you before you pay. You will have to pay a little bit higher in price than what you buy directly from store or internet.

If you want to sell the phone, my recommendation is to sell it as is and you will get a little higher price because of 04.10 baseband and 4.3.5 fw. Don't restore to 5.0.1.

7. eladm thread starter macrumors newbie

That is so strange, why mine doesnt work. I wanted to show you what TinyUmrella shows - see attached. Do you see the last line ? It doesnt say 4.3.5 but it says 5.0.1. Even though my iPhone is 4.3.5 100% - it simply says so in the "About". What do you think ?

Thanks again
    E

Attached Files:

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

No strange at all, once you save your SHSH with TU, it will start to save all future fw possible for you. So, even your phone on 4.3.5, TU shows it has 5.0.1 saves. This does not mean that your phone has been upgrade to 5.0.1 then the previous owner downgrade it down to 4.3.5 before selling it to you.

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

If that's the case, can you downgrade to a FW version that you have never technically had on your phone?

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yeah. For example, your phone was on 3.1.2 and you saved Shsh at that time and never update firmware until now. Since then, Apple has stopped signing all the old fw (only 5.0.1 now). Your phone will have shah save from 3.1.2 until now including 4.3.3. So, even your phone never upgrade to 4.3.3, you still can downgrade to this firmware because you have its blob save.

11. eladm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I understand - the only thing that puzzles me is how did the old owner (who is not a jailbraker) managed to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and then, when he restored the phone to Factory settings, got back to 4.3.5.

Anyway, I am taking your advise and will search on Craigslist someone that can try with me the Gevey again, this time use a Power Reset.
    I will let you know if successful. Thanks !
    Elad