Your Experience running a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Oct 8, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I have a Verizon iPhone5 I was going to trade for an AT&T network iPhone5 but was told I didn't need to do so.

I was instructed cutting down my AT&T iPhone4S sim to the micro size and simply inserting it in the Verizon iPhone sim tray would allow me to use this iPhone on the AT&T network.

Before doing so I thought I'd run it my the members here who may have read differently or have first hand experience, good or bad, in attempting to do so.
    Thanks!

2. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I haven't done it personally, but keep in mind that while it *should* work on AT&T's network, the Verizon iPhone 5 will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network. I've read that it will, however, work on AT&T's HSPA+ "4G" network and their older 3G and 2G (Edge) networks.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You can use a Verizon iPhone 5 on the 3G HSPA+ network, but NOT on the LTE network. Verizon uses different LTE frequency bands than AT&T, and the LTE hardware for each model is set up differently.

If you plan on sticking with AT&T, then I would get an AT&T model iPhone 5.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks for the replies.
    I do plan on sticking with AT&T (not that Verizon isn't a great cell company here in San Diego, but rather it is expensive for a single plan and AT&T offers better pricing for two or more lines...).

There is LTE in my area yet wonder how much of a "slow down" between this service and 3G/4G.

Also, how would I go about exchanging this iPhone? I purchased it at Radio Shack with a new Verizon contract- paid the fee to get out of the contract having ported the number back to AT&T (who waived the cancelation fee on their end).

I can't image Radio Shack would allow me to exchange a Verizon iPhone for an AT&T model without signing up a contract in their store (an unnecessary process, obviously).

I know this dilemma sounds a bit convoluted, but any help would be appreciated.