Your experience with your first iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I guess since the new generation of iPhone is coming out in a few hours I'd like to hear the different stories behind your first iPhone! Like how did it feel using it? Did you immediately love it or did it have to grow on you?

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I got my first iPhone back in April. The iPhone 4S. I was extremely excited.

I was originally thinking about getting the Galaxy Nexus instead (Luckily I have my Nexus 7 to tide over that Android Urge now), and the Verizon guy of course is going to push the Droid RAZR at me (Which as I look back on now, I'm laughing at that device, though the new Droid Razr M and Razr HD are really nice, and I do like the Droid 4), and I settled on the 16GB White model (and now owning a white model, I don't see how anyone could use the black model. Like seriously, I'm sure that a lot of white iPhone owners, but not all, could vouch that after using the white iPhone 4/4S for a long time, the black one just looks weird) and I instantly fell in love. I still absolutely love my iPhone. Do I wish I had more complex features, yes, I do, but I still absolutely love it.

When my upgrade comes by, it will be a tough choice, choosing between an iPhone again or maybe something different. Windows Phone 8 strongly interests me and those new Lumias are beautiful (and reportedly heading to Verizon), so by upgrade time, the iPhone will be rivaled for me with WP8 devices (Since WP8 is the only other phone OS that actually plays nice with the Mac the best, with Windows Phone manager connecting with iTunes pretty well), but I can say that I love my iPhone, and I always will love the iPhone.

:apple:

3. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I ordered my original iPhone in Sept 2007 right after the $200 price drop. I ordered it online, and can remember watching the fedex tracking all the way from Shenzen, China. Took 4 days. It was agony.

It was the single most exciting thing I can remember purchasing. There's just something about how perfectly the touchscreen worked that was almost too good to comprehend. Up until that time, the only touchscreens you had experience with were the crappy ones on commercial infrastructure like ATMs.

Even something as mundane as using the calculator or setting an alarm was fun as hell. And having the internet pretty much 100% accurate in your pocket was insane. Granted, flash was much more prevalent then, but you could deal with it. I don't think I used my ****** acer computer for like a month because I was so enamored with the iPhone. Eventually I caved and got my first Mac a few months later. Been 100% apple ever since.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree, after owning my white 4S (and the white GS3), I do not like my black 4S for work.

------------------------

My story, when I got to college, I had to get my own phone plan before the start of my sophomore year. Perfect timing for the original iPhone... Ahh the days of Edge network, no app store, and an 8 GB iPhone. I had recently gotten my first MBP, so that was the start of things to come for me. I enjoy the Apple Ecosystem, everything works together so nicely.

----------

Same here, but I got my MBP right before my the original iPhone, but it was the same for me, i was obsessed with my phone.

ADDITIONAL: And right as the specialness of the iPhone wore off, the 3G came out, AT&T allowed me to upgrade, and we got the App store. That changed things for sure. It was awesome.

5. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Got my first one back in 2008 the iPhone 3G.

I was on Sprint and was one of those people who always just got whatever the cheapest phone available was and never got into blackberries or other PDA phones that people were using at the time. I had largely ignored the original iPhone launch in 2007 and couldn't fathom people paying $400-$600 for a phone.

Then one of my coworkers came in with an iPhone 3G shortly after it launched and showed me how he could pull up and browse full desktop webpages on his phone. Showed me the email client, and most importantly the messaging app. This was around the time I noticed texting was becoming more and more popular and a lot of my friends loved to text and it was hard on my Sprint flip phone. And this was all touchscreen! It blew my mind at the time.

Two weeks later I canceled Sprint and got me an iPhone 3G. Fell in love with it and could never go back to a dumbphone again after that. I felt like it was the greatest device ever made at the time. That iPhone 3G was the last time I kept a single phone for over 2yrs. These days I'm known to switch phones every 6-8 months.

6. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

In the midst of so many "Switching to Verizon?" and "What address does Apple ship to?" threads, this was a breath of original content fresh air.

I got my first iPhone in 2009, the 3GS. I was really scared about texting because I was coming from a BlackBerry and I could type on that thing with my eyes closed. It was a learning curve, but within two weeks, I was typing faster on my iPhone than I ever had on the Berry. I also loved how comfortable it was in the hand - like a smooth bar of soap. I miss that form factor sometimes. I also wasn't very familiar with touchscreens, the closest I'd come to that was ordering at the Wawa. So I was naturally blown away by the responsiveness of the screen.

7. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Ordered the 3G before leaving on a business trip and it was waiting for me at the AT&T store when I got back. I immediately fell in love with the thing. Downloaded a bunch of apps and must've drained the battery twice on that first night. The browser, iPod functionality, and the apps were just unprecedented at the time. And the 3G speeds blew me away!

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My first iPhone was the 3G then the 3GS, then 4 and now 4S. Most likely I'll hold my upgrade since my full upgrade isn't up till May 2013, will most likely wait for the next generation tho (not the coming one).

9. kannesss macrumors 6502a

10. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I bought the iPhone 2G in February 2008 right when they introduced the 16 GB model. I'd just finished work on a side project that netted me exactly enough money for the phone. After years of ancient plastic candy bars and flip phones, it really opened my eyes. The 2G feels archaic now in some ways, but there was really nothing else like it back then.

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Got the 1st Gen from Apple when I was an employee. Wish I still had it actually.

12. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

My first iPhone was the iPhone 4. I normally hate my phones with a passion by time 2 years has rolled around and it's time for an upgrade but I still love my iP4 to this day. It's the first phone I have been 100% satisfied with.

13. emmanevada macrumors member

My first iphone was the 4S that I got on release day last year! I was an avid blackberry user for the previous 3 years, and believe it or not, I was pretty much the only teenager who didn't WANT a touchscreen phone! However, after getting sick of my bb lagging and crashing constantly, I decided to step it up and order my first iphone, the white 32gb. Now, I am so in love that I have decided I will definitely be ordering the 5 tomorrow, no matter what it looks/performs like! No other phone manufacturer compares.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My first iPhone was the 4S in January this year.

It was and eye opening experience. After 3 years of slogging along with android, the iPhone was exactly what I was looking for.

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I absolutely loved my iPhone 3G. Thought it was the most amazing device I ever held.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

My first was the 3G. I had an iPod Touch, and a phone that could barely access the Internet, but nothing like the smart phones of today. It was a clamshell phone... Can't remember what brand. I was so excited when I finally finished up my contract with GTE Mobilenet, and could switch to AT&T for the iPhone.

And I know people make fun of this, but it truly did change my life.

17. tys macrumors 6502

I bought my first iPhone for $600 on the 4th of July, 2007. That was the day DVD Jon released the hack that allowed you to activate the phone without AT&T service.
    I went to the local Apple store to check it out and after playing with it for about 90 seconds I knew I wasn't leaving without one!
    I was under contract with T-mobile so I used it as an iPod touch while waiting for an unlock. Sometime in the fall, I couldn't take it anymore, paid the hefty ETF and switched to AT&T. Even after my $100 "early adopter rebate" that was one expensive phone.
    Worth every penny, though, and my nephew still uses it!

18. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I got my 1st gen in 2007 and although it was cool, it took a while to grow on me. Same issues for the most part as what is still in iOS....mostly the lack of being able to customize much of anything. The ring tones and text and email tones drove me nuts and is what pushed me to originally jailbreak for the first time. After that, pretty much jailbroke every other phone as soon as I got it home or as soon as there was one available.

19. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Ah, the good ole days when the first iPhone experience was fresh and new. I stood 3rd in line, got my original 8gb iphone and zipped the 6 blocks home to activate it from my computer... I beat the activation overload that happened that day, thank goodness.

Touch screen was cool as was having a pretty much full fledged web browser to use as was the cover flow function with the iPod. Totally cool to have all these functions wrapped up into one device!!

At the Transformers premiere on July 3rd, like 10 people were asking to see my phone in the theater before the previews kicked in so I let them check it out. The phone had lots of interest behind it and nobody had really seen them too much at that time.

I've had every iPhone on launch day and that should continue with this launch. Looking forward to it but it was cool to think back to the original launch.

20. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

My first iPhone was the iPhone 3G. (Second-gen iPhone). I got it in 2009, so the 3GS was already released. I thought I'd save $100 by buying the 3G. But, I soon regretted that decision, because the iPhone 3G is SLOW!

In 2011, I upgraded my iPhone 3G all the way to an iPhone 4S.
    I plan I selling my iPhone 4S to help pay for the full price of the sixth-gen iPhone on Sept. 21 2012.

21. irDigital0l Guest

upgrading to my first smartphone, iPhone 4 Verizon from my previous Env2 was huge.

22. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My first iPhone is my current 4S. Got it last fall. Before, when I had my LG env3, I always said "I don't need a smartphone, I don't want an iPhone, everyone has one, I'll never use it", etc. Holy moly was I wrong. I remember when I first got my 4S, I couldn't get over the fact that having a smartphone was like having a mini computer with you at all times. Blew me away. Still blows me away. Nothing against Android, but when I was phone shopping I was on the fence, Android or Apple? And after playing with various phones, nothing else gave me the feeling that the iPhone did.

I'm a fan.

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

My girlfriend gave me my first iPhone for my Birthday some years back- a brand new 3g. She took me to the AT&T store, she bought it, we activated it and we drove up into Central California for the day.
    Along the way, we wanted to stop to eat, so I did a search on the phone (she drove so I could play with the phone:)) for various restaurants. I downloaded apps, used the internet as we drove, read restaurant and hotel reviews, got directions to all kinds of places we wanted to go, and we had a blast! (Oh, and the phone was cool too!)
    The phone made a spontaneous birthday weekend trip a lot more fun because we had so much information at our fingertips...

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

After seeing one of my army buddies using the original iPhone before we left for Iraq in late 2007, I became very interested in it for my first smartphone. I ended up waiting until around January 2009 to buy the iPhone 3G (after I had already starting using my first Mac ever as well). I instantly loved it but had been using the iPod Touch previously so I already knew my way around it. Been using each iPhone ever since. It's always done exactly what I needed and I've been lucky enough to never have to deal with any lemons. They've all been flawless to me at least. I've never owned any other smart phone so I honestly can't say whether I would like anything else better, but just from using a friends or using one in a store, I think I'm glad I've stuck with the iPhone.

25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

First one was the 2G bought off craigslist for $400. It had a minor dent on the corner but Apple replaced it for a faulty battery and I got a practically new conditioned one. I'd have to say that was one of my best tech days ever.