Your favorite parts of the 1st Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Sep 27, 2016.

1. MarkusL macrumors 6502

My favorite part was afterwards when Trump told reporters that he won the debate, and then I came to PRSI to see that even the Trump fans are admitting that he didn't.

(I didn't watch the debate itself.)

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Jerry Springer's tweet.

Hillary belongs in the White House. Donald Trump belongs on my show.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

4. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

When trump lambasted Clinton about the failure of the conflict in Iraq and then chastised her for the Obama administration for reaching a diplomatic solution with Iran. He's The perfect republican candidate.

The truth of the matter is republicans want an unstable Iran just so they can use it as a political pawn piece to stoke fear in their base and get more votes. They couldn't care less about Iran and its just food for the military industrial complex. Its pretty sickening.

It also shows how the people who are critical of Hilary and praise trump but then negate it by saying "oh don't look at me I'm not a trump supporter" are full of ****.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Hillary in JAIL
    agree with the rest, hell Springer is part of what is wrong in Murika, he glorified stupidity & pushed it to the next level.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

Hofstra University has people you can talk to.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... Didn't Dubya, and indeed his father, have just a little to do with that? Get real.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

she voted for it and helped burn the rest of the M-E.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There's a flip side to that: 30 years of US voters getting what's coming to them. Aside from getting people to vote in the first place, it might be nice if people stopped voting stupid. With so much information technology at people's hands, it amazes me how they choose not to use it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    You assume the ME wouldn't have ignited into flames anyway. I doubt seriously that the protesters in Syria cared about what Hillary, or anybody in the US, thought about the abuses of their government. Dictatorships are not sustainable. Eventually they all fail.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I don't care if it ignited on it's own at all, their country/their problem. us propping up dictatorships that suit us and removing those we don't like just get repercussions that get plenty killed here as well as our soldiers not to mention the trillions in debt that we are currently in.

12. vrDrew, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

In the cold light of day (which around here is looking like the first fall-like one) I'd have to say the highlight was Hillary Clinton's riff on Trump and the Miss Universe contestant Alicia Machado. The one that, some twenty years ago, he called "Miss Piggy" and "Miss Housekeeping."

Skewering Trump on his insults and rudeness was going to be a surprisingly delicate act. A smart politician can't really complain about personal attacks lobbed at them. We don't really feel much sympathy for "Lyin' Ted" or "Crooked Hillary." We also don't have a lot of sympathy for wealthy celebrities, so Trump's nastiness to Rosie O'Donnell or Megyn Kelly wasn't going to be a particularly effective mind-changer for Hillary Clinton.

But sometime in her lengthy preparation for the debates, Hillary Clinton (or someone on her team) came across the story of Trump's revolting behavior towards Ms. Machado. The names he had called her publicly. The video footage of Trump mugging for the camera as she sweated on an exercise machine. And recognized that this was the perfect weapon to hit Trump with. A great many people (men and women) feel very sensitive about their weight and physical appearance. And they feel deeply the psychological pain that mean remarks from bullies like Trump leave.

Hillary Clinton deployed this rhetorical smart bomb with pin-point accuracy. And as Trump visibly fumed in the background, added the kicker:

The United States President has an almost unbelievable range of "weapons" at their disposal. I want a President who has the empathy; the knowledge; the wisdom; and the good judgement to use them as well as Hilary Clinton did last night.

Update: You can always tell when a smart bomb strike has been particularly effective when battle-damage assessment shows a secondary explosion emanating from the target.

Which Trump conveniently provided by whining about his microphone immediately after the debate; and compounded on Tuesday morning on Fox and Friends by again attacking the former Miss Universe contestant.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

They did. But she ownes Libya.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm now concerned that Trump might have schizophrenia. I mean - the "many people are saying" voices in his head, the paranoia, delusions, and other strange behavior. I hear that Haloperidol and other drugs for treatment can cause difficulty breathing.

/snark

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Funny - I thought the people of Libya owned Libya. If you believe Clinton can remotely control people, then she's got a lock on this election. Qaddafi was a dictator and megalomaniac - he was bound to fall sometime.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He warned the world that if he is overthrown the region would descend into chaos. He was right. Hillary advocated for his ousting and she laughed about his murder. No trial. Nothing. Even Saddam had a trial. How long will it be before she is laughing about American deaths and murders (assuming she hasn't already)?

What kind of person acts like this?

18. Robisan macrumors 6502

No, he didn't. Trump advocated for going into Libya, boots on the ground, we'd be welcomed as liberators and we should make them pay us for expenses. Right here, on video:

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ugh. No, Gadaffi warned that removing him would trigger unrest.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Turning NATO into a protection racket where we shake down the rest of the developed world is a super idea. I can't see how that could possibly make us less likeable.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    He's unhinged. He lied quite a bit. He's out of his depth. He actually bragged about not paying taxes.

The fact that there is even a race is an indictment of how stupid people are.

21. Robisan macrumors 6502

ROTFLMAO! What would you expect him to say? C'mon in and remove me, everything will be flowers and roses?

In any event, Trump was all for going in, guns blazing, troops on the ground. It's right there in the video.

22. macs4nw, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

There was almost exclusive personal attacking on both sides, with almost no discussion of important issues, though HC briefly brought up some of her plans. Trump definitely didn't score with the women he so desperately needs by his frequent and sometimes annoying interruptions.

Regarding your temperament issue, I disagree. They both have bad tempers. HC has a vile temper as well judging from anecdotal evidence by amongst others, the Secret Service. She's just much better at hiding it.

Not worried about Trump getting us near the 'brink'. He's too smart and personally has way too much to lose to contemplate that. Besides he'll negotiate us out of harm's way. I've read that according to some military analysts, he's in fact much less likely to get us involved in a major military conflict than HC, by a 20-80% difference. Clinton however has the edge by a large margin in experience with all things government, and dealing with foreign issues as they arise.

Here is my dilemma. Trump is too brash, outspoken, straightforward, spontaneous and arrogant to be an effective president; it takes after all getting along with Congress to get bills passed. Clinton on the other hand is too far in the other direction: no spontaneity, insincere, too rehearsed, too glib, and untrustworthy to boot. Additionally, Trump has the advantage of representing much desired change in Washington, while HC is left defending the status quo.

I seriously wish there was a third viable option. As it is now, any vote for Libertarian or Green will just help one of the two frontrunners.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He doesn't really care about the presidency. He told us last night when he said that whether it's through his new property or the white house, he'll have an address on Penn Ave. WHO SAYS THAT? lol

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow...it's like trying to pick your favorite child...Too difficult! Plus there are so many things to pick from!

But if I had to pick just a couple, it would be these:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A rich guy not paying taxes while some person struggles to pay bills while still paying their taxes just isn't a good image. And saying that he is smart for not paying anything implies the rest of us are stupid.

And complaining about people being prepared for things is truly bizarre. Yeah, we should all just wing everything. :rolleyes:

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Makes you wonder if the guy had ever heard of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, because with enough people pissed off at him for a comment like this, he could share a similar fate.

BL.