Your Favorite "unknown" Band?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i've actually heard of porcupine tree

subthree is mine, they may have broken up, they were kind of on hiatus the last time i checked... i don't think they've managed to lay any real tracks even, besides a couple of demo singles

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....just one? I could name dozens...... so, let's see....how about Experimental Aircraft since I was just playing one of their cd's. Cool band led by the very cool Rachel Goldstar/Staggs...her other project Eau Claire with Jessica Bailiff is also bound to be interesting - I ordered their brand new first release this week and hope to see it in my mailbox shortly....oh yeah!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
This thread will probably only work if there is information given... like where to find these obscure bands, and what they do.

katscan play dirty electropunk... actually, they're pretty well known in certain circles now...

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
All time favourite, Cocteau Twins! Anyone heard of them before? Kinda "spacy." They were around during the 80's (you guess it, I'm old!).

How about attaching pics of your "unknown band" as well as links? Just my 2 cents

Attachments

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
HED PE, cool band, also Third Eye Blind , i think they're pretty well known though...... others, Orgy, and OPM, Something Corporate....i think all of these are known, but no one i know knows about them....u guys might, fav band ever is third eye blind, blinded = best song :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
brap, Katscan sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to delve deeper.

Here's more:

Ozric Tentacles , though I imagine these trippy progsters are far better known in Europe than here in the States.

echolyn , passionate prog with some great musicianship. Try "Never the Same" or "Settled Land."

Voivod , metal with an interesting bent to it. Faves are the albums Angel Rat and The Outer Limits.

Minimum Vital , French prog rock with a decidedly Medieval flavor. Rock with harpsichord??

Dang, I could do this all night!

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Eevee said:
All time favourite, Cocteau Twins! Anyone heard of them before? Kinda "spacy." They were around during the 80's (you guess it, I'm old!).

How about attaching pics of your "unknown band" as well as links? Just my 2 cents
Duff-Man says...Cocteau Twins "unknown"?? Certainly not in my circle of friends! They were great...I am glad I got to see them live a few times. I wish Liz Frazer would get off her butt and be more active musically....but she does sing on the upcoming Yann Tiersen CD (guy who did the soundtrack for Amelie)....oh yeah!

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2005
One's pretty hard...Most the ska genre is unknown to most...Anyhow, here they are. I'm feeling lazy, as is my internet connection, so I only provided a couple of links :eek: .

The Planet Smashers --a hilarious ska band
Slapstick
Mike Park and his other bands...The Chinkees, Skankin Pickle, B. Lee Band

For rock, I've gotta add 6gig, kind of that '90s band rock that we all miss, not that new age rappity-crap stuff :D

Illegal Substance & the Freestylers are good bands to jib, ride, or jump your bike to. Some prefer to dance to them, but I find them great for those 11PM sessions on cement.

Most of these bands listed can be found at emusic.com. You can get 50 free mp3s from them by signing up. See my link in my sig, so you can help me as well.

JM

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Zion I, rap group.

I don't know anybody thats heard of them but today I saw a store that had one of their cd's.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
My favorite is not a "band" per say, though he does have musicians play with him. This mystery man is MC Lars, the best rapper ever, and I hate rap! You all should check out his song "iGeneration" on his site. This white guy has awesome music all based on the iambic pentameter, but with new school flava. haha. Trust me, just listen to it before you judge :) .

He is a college student and has gained a little popularity recently. He's on iTunes as well. I advise "Mr Raven," in which he raps edgar allen poe's "the raven" and mixes it with pop culture references. His music is a breath of fresh air. just give him a listen ;) .

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Divine In Sight

We're pretty obscure. For a band on iTunes and Towerrecords.com, anyway. If you ever wonder what a Christian version of Rush and Queen might be like with a chick singer, that's us.

Except the singer isn't a chick. She's me. A guy. Listen to some samples and you'll get the idea.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/divineinsight

Help me quit my day job!

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Third Try - they were a punk rock band out of temecula,ca...seeing as I'm from maine, its odd I found them, someone had disuised one of their songs as a Fenix TX track and I downloaded it, at the end it said who they were lol. Anyway, awesome band. btw, they broke up 3 years ago...about 1 week after I found out about them/downloaded 10 of their songs.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Eevee said:

You serious? They're huge! I love them, and so do heaps of my friends. I'm not even really allowed to like them (a little old-school), but hey, they're very talented. :)

D*I*S_Frontman said:
If you ever wonder what a Christian version of Rush and Queen might be like with a chick singer, that's us.

Except the singer isn't a chick. She's me. A guy. Listen to some samples and you'll get the idea.

Umm, I don't get it. Are you a chick or not? You might need some special self-reflection time... Either way, I think your album cover is really cool.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
it's been a looong time since i was able to claim bands that no one else knew...

but i did have a good time once knocking a high schooler i worked with at best buy down a peg or two on the indie rock obnoxious-meter....she mentioned something about the white stripes, kind of a "look who i listen to" name drop, and my response was, "oh, yea? i saw them open two years ago for sleater-kinney " which netted me a blank "who are they?"

I know sleater-kinney are way better known now, but back in 1996-7 i could have used them....:-/ yea. that makes me less than entirely uncool. :)

*bookmarks thread as cliffsnotes for new bands I might want to listen to...*