Your friend has the new apps and you want them for free.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Dicx, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dicx macrumors regular

Dicx

Easiest way to do it:

Go to your friends Mac and copy over the Mobile Applications folder from

~yourhomefolder/Library/iTunes

Put that folder (it has the application plug-in in it) on your mac. Now have your friend authorize your mac as a spot for one of his iTunes playback devices.

Restore your iPod and voila, applications copy over. Now if your friend wants to de-authorize his account and you have to restore your iPod, the apps won't copy over. You will get an error.

This works really well if you have multiple macs and multiple iPods in the same house.

Later.

2. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

3. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

with a MAC

4. Dicx thread starter macrumors regular

Dicx

Yeah I don't have any PC's to test it on but it should be the same hopefully. Just need to find the directory structure and where the mobile applications folder is.

5. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Does the new Google Map application require 1.1.3?

Or can this great tip be used to install it on a jailbroken 1.1.2 iPod Touch that already has the other apps working well?

(It might be nice to get the updated Google Map app, with the faux-GPS capability.)

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Once 1.1.3 is jailbraked, you can just copy the new apps from the /Applications folder, someone will upload them... patience.

7. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Once 1.1.3 is jailbroken, sure. (That's assuming it will be. It's entirely possible it won't be.)

That's why I asked; can we install the new Google app onto 1.1.2? I'm going to assume no.

Besides, it sounds like the apps need to be authorized per device (just like iTunes Store purchases... songs, videos and games) so I doubt it will be as easy as just copying them into /Applications.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if you add applerepo.com to your installer sources you can install 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 versions of the apps on a jailbroken 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 ipod

9. Fofer macrumors 6502a

I am well aware of that, I have been running them since day #1 of my iPod touch ownership.

I am talking about not upgrading to 1.1.3, but possibly still being able to install the Google Maps 1.1.3 since that's the only one with an interesting update -- that of the faux-GPS ability.

10. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

Wow, id tell my friends who came to me with this to either eat ***** or buy it themselves. haha

11. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Sarcasm ?!