Your generic weekly school shooting thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, May 25, 2018.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Posting generic face palm image.

Well, image a generic face palm image, getting too repetitive to post one.

3. cube macrumors Pentium

4. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

If only Republicans were as passionate about living children as they are about unborn clumps of cells and regulating wombs...

5. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Well they haven't developed bootstraps until birth - once they've got those, it's up to them to pull themselves up (and not get shot)

6. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Here's the person that should be talked about. Jason is not just a good teacher, but a brave one, too. He managed to put a stop to the 13 year old shooter and put his life on the line to do it. He was shot 3 times and has undergone surgery for his wounds. He was my sons science teacher at this school when he went there. Both of my kids attended this middle school (it's only a couple of miles from our house). This is a sad day. That school, and the rest of them in our town are actually quite secure. All doors locked, have to be buzzed in at the office, cameras everywhere and an armed cop on site all day. It's pretty obvious that this is another case of a kid stealing firearms and acting out some deranged fantasy. The authorities are not releasing his name (yet), probably due to his age, but I'd be just as happy if they never told the public his name. He was likely looking for fame. Hope they deny that to him.

Two other high schoolers are also in jail, as they thought it would be cute to text threats (a bomb threat and a shooting threat) to the high school. This resulted in a lockdown and SWAT teams being called to the high school and loads of worried kids and parents. Kudos to the school system, though for continuous robocalls keeping parents updated on the happenings.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...topping-school-shooting-according-to-students
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    Here's some news on it and how it unfolded.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...g-home-of-noblesville-school-shooting-suspect

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

If only liberals/progressives cared more about protecting our living children than blaming the NRA and wanting to ban AR15 assault fully semi automatic rpg launcher rifles for shootings, maybe we could be on to something.... The federal government needs to provide funding to ALL schools and harden them. Those cute “no guns allowed” signs seem to not be working.

8. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

The NRA is a terrorist organization. Until conservatives embrace common sense, the slaughter of our children in schools will continue. What exactly is your definition of “hardening our schools”?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let’s make schools prisons!

10. Vanilla Ice, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

At my county fair, we walk through medal detectors. Deputies and undercover walking around. Yet people are safe and having fun. Or attending a Lakers game, same thing. Are those an example of a prison?
    Seriously? What terrorists member of the NRA have committed mass murder?

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Send my respect to him!

Santa Fe was a few miles down on the same hiway (Hw 6) as where I live.
    Soon everyone will know someone in line of fire.
    Not sure you noticed, but some of the schools where prepared for this (locked doors, secure entrance procedure, metal detectors, etc).
    Even Sandyhook, where the shooter simply shot his way in.

Schools are starting to look like prisons.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

Orange County fair? It's always had heavy security, especially after 9/11.

13. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Where and when is the Orange County fair? I’ve never been. Also I think the person you’re replying to is in LA county. I’m in Long Beach so I’m kinda right in the middle.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

It's a Google away but looks like it begins in July. I remember it being in the spring a long time ago. It's pretty fun.

15. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah I just checked it’s in July-August in Costa Mesa. Half hour away. Definitely gonna check that out

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'd head out early for the sweet parking. And unless things have changed, I recommend the giant funnel cake with the scoops of vanilla, hot fudge, cherries and caramel sauce topped with cinnamon toasted walnuts.

Unhealthy food withstanding, I used to love the giant corn dogs they had. I think they used Dodger dogs but I'm not sure. They used to have fantastic sausage rolls, too. Don't forget the kettle corn or the spicy variety they make onsite. Fluffy, crunchy, light, etc. Just don't eat too much or that fiber will pass through your like a bullet train.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'll swap buildings with any prison. We treat criminals much better than children.

We have a metal detector at the door where the kids enter in the morning. If someone comes in late, he just walks in the front door. No metal detector. And honestly, I'm more afraid of some of the parents than our kids!

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Both LA and OC have a strong LE presence.

Hello fellow Long Beacher!

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

Sad. It's getting very hard to feel angry or disappointed about these events. I'm not one to feign horror either. I'm not sure I'd call it apathy either. You simply live with the idea that this has occurred and will always happen until something sensible is done that appeases both sides.

Are any of the parents the "I feed myself and my family with 16 oz of delish Jimmy Dean and not this pansy 12 oz of sage and thyme crap!"? Please tell me you remember that prolific radio rant.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Stoneman Douglas students were not happy that a grocery store chain has been proving support to the Republican running for governor, who is a staunch NRA member. So they started visiting store locations and holding "die-ins".

I am not quite sure what to feel.

21. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Smh. This is not a good way to protest.

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

Well I've heard that Publix's grilled chicken sandwich is fine when you're in a pinch.

23. sevoneone macrumors 6502

I don't know... It seems to me that schools, kids and guns existed together in this country for a very long time without too much trouble. The people on the far ends of the debate are too interested in proving the other side wrong to realize that the solution has nothing to do with more or less guns and probably everything to do with the same lack of ability to be rational human beings.

I can't imagine what it is like to be a teenager these days. Your entire life is basically a social event that never ends and there is no escaping the positive or negative effects. You and every one of your peers carries the means to glorify, vilify, praise, denounce, embolden, embarrass, bring up, bring down, humanize or humiliate each other at a moments notice in their pocket 24/7. It's a social nuclear football in the hands of inexperienced, hormonally unstable, narcissists whose only template for "normal" human discord is the current political **** show. Why is anyone surprised these kids, living out an arms race of mutually assured social/personal destruction might turn to real weapons when threatened?

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde