Your government at work, 578 million for a school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Come on, what is your problem? That is only $137,000 per student. California and LA are swimming in surpluses, so it really isn't a big deal.

Oh, wait......

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is why our education system is failing our kids. The huge amounts we spend are spent in the wrong places. :rolleyes:

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

The Ambassador? Really????

I can just picture it: The civics teacher teaching his/her kids that our country is in trouble because of racist republican tax cuts. From inside the ambassador hotel. :p

5. Queso macrumors G4

Considering how much they waste on fighter jets or missile systems this really is a drop in the ocean. At least a school doesn't get used to kill people.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I really want to see how they could of EVER justified spending that much money on a school. To me this just is screams why the state is bankrupt.

7. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I agree. They should immediately cut costs by removing the safety measures that caused the price to inflate. It worked well for BP. I don't see any potential problems for LA. It's not like the site is prone to earthquakes or methane leaks. And even if it was, anyone who gets sick or hurt and can't afford healthcare should just get off his or her lazy fanny and get a job. They certainly wouldn't have a case for a class action lawsuit that far exceeds the pricetag of $578 million.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

More like, LA County School Board is my government? :confused:

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't recall the Governator ruling over Louisiana. Then again, it'd be best let him run the state than the joke that is Jindall.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you missed the point. This project should of NEVER even started. It was already way to costly on day 1 before they started added in everything else.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds like that school board needs serious reworking.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Does the $578 million include the cost of land? It does seem pretty high, but land in LA might be really expensive.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did you go to school ;)! If so can you take us through the working of this figure?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know how you can say that it costs $X per student, when the cost of the school is a one time expense, and it's going to serve hundreds of thousands of students over its lifetime. This school could still be around in 60 or 70 years.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Exactly. Seems people have some trouble figuring out simple mathematics when it comes to infrastructure. It's equivalent to saying that a bus that seats 50 people is too expensive per person.

And that's not to mention a school with all it's buildings and grounds can serve a far greater population than just the students.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"In addition, several years ago, officials decided that new safety measures were needed at the Ambassador complex, which sits atop an oil field. A system to keep explosive methane out of buildings added $33 million in costs."

Sounds like a good place to build a school. Why didn't they just build a oil rig there and make some money?

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

$578,000,000/4200students =~$137,000/student*

*Granted this assumes that these students never leave and no more are ever ever admitted over the life of the school lol

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How anyone can be defending this obvious waste of money is beyond me.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sounds pretty similar to every school with a large proportion of teenage boys.

Hopefully they're aiming at a higher graduation rate :D!

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is how I determined it. Granted more students will go there, however one-half BILLION dollars for a single high school is beyond absurd.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

According to the LA Times story, the school's site was the Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard, so yes, I think the land was certainly part of the overall cost.

Moreover, it looks like a combination of increasing construction costs—much of this due to requirements to keep as much of the hotel as possible—revisions at the planning stages, new safety measures, and the economy dramatically drove up costs.

That said, the school is prohibitively expensive, far higher than even a Boston-area project that cost $200 million; the median cost for a high-school was $25 million.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Who would have thought that you'd lower yourself to being intellectually dishonest for the sake of politics. Or perhaps I'm being unfair and it was a rudimentary mathematical mistake.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No intellectual dishonesty was intended. It was just a quick calculation, that is all. But I guess that the estimates per student in the article that hulugu are intellectually dishonest as well since they have the same type of figures.:rolleyes:

In addition, if the $25 million median cost for a high school is correct then spending over 20 times that is just unbelievably stupid.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I disagree, it's criminally stupid.