Your heart stops as your phone lies there on the ground in the place you dropped it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rikbrown, Nov 28, 2010.

1. rikbrown macrumors regular

Worst feeling in the world!

For me, it was hearing a crash and my girlfriend's exclamation of "aaaa". Fell out of the case - onto a wooden floor - as she was bringing it to me.

The next few moments after dropping any phone and turning it over to inspect the damage feel horrible!

LUCKILY, in my case, the cheap ass screen protector that got put on it free by the place I bought it from saved the day. It had several horrible scratches and I was terrified they'd follow through to the glass... but they didn't!.

I'm never leaving a screen protector off a phone again. They protect you from clumsy partners!

Worst/most relieving horror stories anyone?!

2. 0wnage macrumors member

Oh, I know the feeling alright! I put my phone on the center console as I got out of the car to fill it up with gas, and I forgot about it when I got done at the pump. I drove, went over a speed bump, and it got knocked between the seat and the console and slid all the way down to the metal railings. I thought my phone was going to have scratches like I've never believed -- but it had none. At least none to the naked eye.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

4 or 5 times off my windowsill onto my wooded floor, once on the bus and once on concrete, no case or screen protector, no problems.

4. deeesea macrumors 6502

drunk, threw iphone 4 across the room aiming for a couch. Missed. Woops. Didn't phase me though, it's just a phone and it still works so ehhhh

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Dropped mine this morning as I tried to put it back on my bedside cabinet - I missed completely and it hit the wooden floor with a sickening thud.
    It certainly woke me up pretty quickly, and I quickly checked it over for any signs of damage. Fortunately, it escaped without a mark on it, but it was a worrying couple of seconds!

6. d0r1en0 macrumors member

d0r1en0

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the otterbox defender. Not worried here.

7. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

This has happened to me several times. No worries, I have Invisi-Shield (Actually, it's these guys' Stealth Armor- They're in Irvine: http://www.fusionofideas.com/digitaltechtoo/. I put their protector on all my iDevices- It works GREAT!

8. ADMProducer macrumors regular

You also have a bulky and ugly iPhone.

I've dropped mine quite a few times on various surfaces. Every time the front and back plastic protectors save it. However, the bands around the iPhone are looking bad now, just slightly scratched from using the Apple bumper. I now don't use it.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Haha! That's the spirit! As long as it works!

I've had my iPhone 4 for 5 months now and stopped being OCD with it. But luckily, no drops on carpet or concrete yet. Worst thing I did by accident is sitting on it for like 2 seconds on a couch which happened last night as a matter of fact. Has a durable case, so no probs. Really no big deal and I am a lightweight. When I had a Gen 1 iPhone, I would drop it on concrete and sometimes get that same horrid feeling for a minute. It was caseless. Then I would just shrug it off and move on. I have a cous who is far worse with his phones. He would drop it on cement the first day he gets a new phone. The front of his iPhone 3G is shattered enough in the bottom right corner that you could see the liquid crystals move from side to side when he turns it.

I guess getting a brand new iPhone is like getting a new car or new shoes. Once that new car smell goes away, your OCD goes away with it too and you just use the car to get you to places. Honeymoon phase goes away. After a few months or drops, same thing with an iPhone. Can't stay perfect forever in the real world if you plan to use it alot.

10. M87 macrumors 65816

I dropped my iPhone 4 onto concrete shortly after I got it, it landed face down too without a case. Not a single scratch on it.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Treating your phone like that, you probably wouldn't even take the time to check if there were actually scratches :eek:

12. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

playing catch with a football jumped up to make the catch wearing baggy shorts iphone flew up and out dropped face first on concrete smashed screen was a horrible day.

13. deeesea macrumors 6502

Life sucks sometimes haha, my friend dropped his phone from elbow height to the table and smashed the screen, I've had my old 3G thrown around quite a bit too...but that was cos I hated the phone..:D

14. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

My 3GS fell out of my purse one time onto a concrete floor. Dented the right lower corner a little.

A few days later I was taking it out of a case and putting it in my armband for a walk, and dropped it onto the gravel. Hit the same spot, dinging it a little more and actually chipping the betzel.

As much as I would love-and try-to keep it pristine, it's just not realistic if I actually use it. Accidents happen. Life happens.

I'm just glad it works.

15. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Ugly is an opinion, I think it looks awesome. I love the rugged look.

My defender has saved my @$$ countless times, and if it saves me from having to pay $200.00 again, Then I don't care if it's pink, or the size of a brick.

I hate dropping phones, Luckily learned my lesson with my 3G when it was in a Incase Slider that if you want drop protection, Go with an Otterbox. :rolleyes::)

16. Malsi macrumors regular

I've actually thrown my iPhone 3Gs at my cars dashboard. I only do it when I'm extremely upset. I know, it's blasphemy that I even mention this, but it's only a phone, it's replaceable. Whoever it was that pissed me off isn't.

17. richpuer macrumors 6502

left the phone on my lap whie driving....got to my destination, jumped out of my seat and whack goes to iphone4 to the pavement. This happened to me twice this week...once landed face down, second time was face up...only thing i have is the griffin thin reveal case...the sound it made when it dropped was barely heard...not like a loud crack sound like it would make if u had no case..boy this thing really works..not a scratch on the screen

18. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

I pray I don't have to post anything in this thread! Ever!

19. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Bumper works

I always wondered if the bumper makes a difference. I can confirm it does, after dropping my iPhone onto concrete (and yes I am normally very, very careful and not such a retard).

A friend of mine dropped his Iphone in a similar way and has a crack across the corner of the screen.

20. ryanrich macrumors regular

lol, same here. I dropped my original iPhone a few times but it was pretty sturdy... No incidents with my 3GS or iPhone 4 luckily!

21. richpuer macrumors 6502

any kind of rubber bumper should absorb a good amount of the impact from a normal 3-4 foot drop

22. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I can just imagine dropping it in a toilet...im sure that'll cause some heart attacks lol

23. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

The Bumper Is A Life Saver!

My two cents.....After playing some games on my macbook forgetting I had my phone in my lap....I suddenly stood up and my phone fell directly on it's side luckily I had the bumper which saved the day:cool:

24. toypadlock macrumors member

it's always a trade-off. i have it naked because i wouldn't have bought an attractive phone if i was going to put it in that otterbox thing (i just looked it up and it's absolutely hideous).

so what if it gets a little scratched (it hasn't yet) - i'd rather that than never be able to enjoy the way it looks because of its case.

i mean look!

[​IMG]

BOKE

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

Worse feeling for me is actually losing my phone. I lost a couple prior phones as it either slipped out of my pocket or it actually got stolen. It sucks when you have to buy another one at full price or just downgrade to a crappier phone. Then you have to re-do everything again. I have a stepsister who ended up losing her iPhone 4 and iPad within a month when she had it. The prob with her is she is a show off. She has to report it to everybody on Facebook that she got a new toy. Nobody really cares, but she needs to fulfill that ego. The price you pay for showing off and having hundreds of so-called "friends." She ended up downgrading to a cheaper phone as she couldn't afford buying the new 4 at full price. Lesson learned.

Be grateful you have a phone. Worse feeling than being OCD about it. Better to have an iPhone 4 whether flawed or not than not having one at all. Luckily, I tend to be grateful with it and try to be careful. No drops on concrete or carpet so far. As long as it works and I haven't lost it yet. The holster case has been very helpful keeping me aware on where it is at all times.