Your idea of heaven?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Falhófnir, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Ok so I’m guessing there may be a few ‘Apple store where everything is priced free and updated hourly’ posts here, but I’m genuinely curious as to people’s ideas of what it’d be like - even if you’re atheistic, what to you would the concept be like? Traditional fluffy clouds, something so abstract a mortal mind can’t comprehend?

What inspired this post was recently hearing for the first time in a long time the patriotic song ‘I vow to thee my country’ - which whilst it [despite undoubtedly being a beautiful piece of music] actually seems to promote a sort of concerning jingoism, contains as the last verse possibly the most perfect description I think I’ve come across:

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
    Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
    We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
    Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
    And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
    And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

I think the impact is probably greater to actually hear it in verse, don’t know if that lessens the value of the words vs the tune, or whether they just compliment each other really well.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Tons of grilled meat, Brazilian style. Lots of bread, cheese and preserves. Beer and wine, plenty of single malt, too. Oh, and lots of cheesecake. I love cheesecake.

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Maybe it's the same life you're living now but where everything goes your way. I like the version of hell on Preacher, maybe heaven is similar but instead of living your worst mistake over and over, you live our your fantasies, both good and bad.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

NY Style Cheesecake with cherry topping. :D
    Great music, and prime cut tri tip stakes grilled to perfection in a garlic butter sauce with red potatoes and an ice cold Corona.
    And of course having friends and family there to join in the party.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Time to do all the stuff I don't have time for now.

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Last three minutes of Man United v Bayern Munich 1999 champions league final on loop

8. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

... much as I'm drawn to that idea,...

9. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

It would be like a day off is now. Just cuddling on the couch with my wife, watching my kids play.

Just kidding, it would be mountains of drugs and 24/7 BJs on demand.

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

11. 0098386 Suspended

I’d like heaven to be like what I have now; a nice house, family, everything’s alright really. The only thing I want more of is time. I’d love to have an eternity to be able to work on my projects. And then make new ones and just do them too! And in that time I’d also read all the books I crammed onto my kindle paperwhite, I’m not much a reader but I’ve collected lots of classics and ‘must reads’. So, on command, and voted for by family/whatever souls are nearby, it’d be nice to set the sky to be in a blissful sunset until we say so, so I can sit in the reading nook and read.

I used to say this in interviews all the time. There really isn’t enough time.

12. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Ultimately, the concept of heaven is the human desire to continue to exist, along with continuation of consciousness, ideally with a memory of what came before. We observe that matter/energy are continually transformed and continue to exist in this reality. We know we die a mortal death and as matter our molecules continue to exist, but this is not enough, we want immortality of self. Is that possible, why not? We don't know enough to make the determination one way or the other.

An intriguing story: Looking for Carroll Beckwith. Hoax or real? If real, it offers a path to existence beyond mortal death.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Humor or not my choices in my home are not your concern. Unless it affects your feelings, of course.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

No need to take offense. I've got beer, wine, tequila , and whiskey stocked, but heaven as endless rows of alcoholic beverages? This must be humor. :)

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Oh heavens, I’m not offended.

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Choices in my home are not your concern. Without emoticons it's hard to tell. I'm good with moving on. :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Would'nt a little company be nice? :)

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Sure the company of Elk, mountains, and birds

20. Gutwrench, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I haven’t forgotten what I said. I only laid your mind at ease that I wasn’t offended. I’m thoughtful like that.

21. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Heaven to me is some kind of endless library, like out of Borges. And it's located somewhere in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. :)

22. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

As I do not believe in "heaven", I find it hard to conceive of such a thing.

Reframed as a question as to what would constitute an ideal existence, books, a decent cellar, an antique but beautiful urban space, and the presence of those few people who are close to me and whom I hold in high esteem.

23. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

So utter solitude? ;)

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk