Your Next Phone Will Probably Cost You $1,000

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/next-phone-probably-cost-1-100007982.html
    first world problems........................anyways who is ready for a new iphone?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I picked up a Note 8. ($930 plus $86 in sales tax) :p
    I already have an iPhone. I've learned to never buy the first gen of a new iPhone model, so I'm skipping this release.

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm doing next year's iPhone. Been on the 2 year upgrade cycle/habit since the iPhone 1. The subsidy thing doesn't really phase me, or at least hasn't yet. You really shouldn't be an Apple person if you are a penny pincher.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    This isn't a first gen. It's the between model historically. But every iPhone adds something the previous model doesn't have.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The iPhone X will be a first gen device.
    It deviates significantly from previous models. It's not just the display that is changing. Key security and interaction capabilities are very different from current gen iPhones.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'll give you that. After tomorrow.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'll probably just get this years Pixel XL which probably won't break 1K, if it does then I'm out

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Not thrilled about the alleged facial recognition. It doesn't bother me from a security standpoint necessarily, but if that is the best of the bells and whistles it'll be lackluster, at least to me. I don't see how a machine recognizing my face can improve my life.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Just wait until Siri goes in "Trump Mode" and begins insulting you based on your facial features :)

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That would be funny :D

I'd almost buy an iPhone just to hear her comments

10. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I really am trying to think of what new feature(s) would make me pay a grand for a phone. I guess this comes at a time when I'm actively working to stare at my phone less. So there may not be anything that entices me to throw down that kind of bank. If I could plug it into a screen, have it run a decent version of OS, then I'd be all over it. Besides that, I can't think of anything. Just me, though.

11. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Only because people believe that they have to spend that to get a lot of featured they'll never use or care about. Especially those that feel they have outdated tech in a year or less.

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I've owned my 6 plus since launch. So I'm ready for a new one.

Don't see the need to upgrade every year but mines long in the tooth now.

I'm kinda excited but tech doesn't thrill me as it use too

14. CE3 macrumors 65816

“Hey Siri, schedule my facial next Saturday at 10am”

“What’s the point? You’re barely a 6 on a good day”

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

16. LizKat, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hanging onto my SE for now. If later on I do go for the 2nd iteration of what's coming out tomorrow, I'd probably get the phone from Apple and bring it to the carrier same as I did with the SE. AT&T still has a 15% discount on my line charge figuring someday I'll cave in and get on their Next plan. I like a bill that only runs to 73 per month incl taxes, fees. Plus I want to get my iPad upgrade and use iOS 11 with it before bothering with another phone. otoh that's what i think the night before a keynote. I got popcorn ready and hid my credit cards from myself.

17. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I'll keep my 7 for the moment. Not going to pay a grand for a phone. I don't care what must have feature it touts.

18. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

My 7+ does everything I need (even more!) and I'm on a 2 years plan. I'll skip that one - and it already cost more than 1K anyway!...

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

My 5S will be four years old this fall. Its showing occasional battery and random reboot issues. So I'd like a new phone. And I feel like splurging on the X.

20. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I have the 6S and I'm disappointed that they seem to be retiring the "S" phones. These were the best: sure, they're not as exciting as the new design phones, but they give you the new design refined and perfected. I'm going to be buying the "8", which seems to essentially be the 7S: it will cost less and it will still have Touch ID. I'll be skipping the iPhone X.

21. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Not happy about it but I will end up forking out what it costs to buy one unfortunately

22. 0007776 Suspended

Homestly I might give up on smartphones when my 7+ dies. They don't last long enough for the money you have to fork out, and it might be nice to go back to a non smart phone.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah, I think I'm on record a few times saying my next phone is going to be the little clamshells they used to hand out as defaults with a cell contract back in the early 90s.

The thing is my nextgen kin all say don't go there, since none of them even talk on the phone any more... they text, or use assorted social media messaging instead. Phoning one of them eventually nets an invitation --possibly insincere :D -- to leave a voicemail message.

Gonna try to make that SE stand up to the jokes as long as possible; I got a nice grippy case for it.

24. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

I have zero need for a smartphone. Wouldn't buy one at $100.
    Prefer to waste cash on iPads.