Your Opinion on Recycling, worth it or a waste?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SamIchi, Sep 5, 2010.

?

Do you Recycle?

1. YES!

54 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Nope

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. When it's convenient

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Don't care about this issue

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What's you opinion on recycling. Is it a waste and of time, or does it really help the environment? I wanna hear both sides to this issue.

I used recycle back at home, but when I went off to college, I stopped, due to multiple reasons. But I hope to me more conscious this year with being "environmentally friendly"

I've been reading more about recycling systems, and I just want to hear more opinions on this, and what people think and why they do or don't recycle.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I do whenever I can. General garbage goes to the dump but things like cans and bottles I recycle because I get money off them. Not much per can/bottle but when I collect them for few weeks, it gives me a nice reward. FYI, a box of beer (24x33cl) is worth 3.60€ when recycled so 6 of them and I can get one box for free :p

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I have those multi colored trash cans - it doesn't take any extra time for me to put recyclables into the blue one. Whether it genuinely helps the environment, I can't be sure, but I don't know of any reason to think otherwise.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Watch the episode of Penn & Teller's "Bull$h*t" tv show episode that was all about how recycling is BS. Most recycling winds up using MORE energy and resources than would be used by buying newly-made products. I recycle as much as I have to so that I don't get a ticket for throwing away recyclable material in with the regular trash. Yes, that actually does happen.

5. thejanssens macrumors newbie

You get paid to recycle? I have seen stuff like that on American TV programmes, but I didn't think it happened in Europe - I guess the UK is just unlucky...

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, technically we don't. When you buy a bottle of Cola for example, the collateral is added to the price, so if it costs 1.00€, 0.20€ is added to the price making it 1.20€ but you get that back if you return the bottle.

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think it does, i cant see any reason that it wouldnt help with the environment.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will recycle as long as the city or apartment complex proves something like that. I would even vote for a little minor tax increase to have them. But I will not collect stuff and then drive over town to take care of it. Just not worth my time.

I know right now recycling for a lot of cities it went from bring in a little extra cash to costing them money because price for the recycled goods dropped so much.

At my parents where I live now the city provides use with a green bin that we throw our recyclable in and once a week we put it out by the curb and they come and collect it. I find that way works great. Now our bin is mostly news papers and milk jugs but still it is really easy to do it. Trash goes in the can and recycled stuff goes in the green bin. Trash to the curb 2 days a week and green bin one day a week.

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Yes! There is a lot about recycling that is rarely discussed and the process is rarely scrutinized for what it actually is. The PC thing is to recycle and those who don't are bad. The process of recycling is inefficient and produces its own amount of byproduct lots of which is toxic and expensive to dispose of.

People should read McDonough's Cradle to Cradle to get an understanding of why systems and the way we manufacture things need a complete design overhaul and how recycling is simply a farce and barely even a fix. Designing things with the idea that they will never become waste is more efficient and better for the environment in the long run than recycling can ever be under our current cradle to grave manufacturing process. The book gives a great rundown on how reduce, reuse, recycle mantra is misleading and does not produce the results that people think.

I recycle because that is the best thing we have going right now, but I am under no delusion about ineffective the process actually is.

11. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I do it so Captain Planet doesn't come after me. :)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do! Well insomuch that I chuck in plastic in one bin, paper in another, general refuse in yet another. It doesn't really take much effort in the UK.

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I do it, because our local council collects it for us from the kerbside, so there's no excuse really.

Completely agree, actually.

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Where I live they gave everyone a blue waste bin. Just throw everything that is recyclable (they also gave a list of recyclable and non-recyclable items), put it on the curb once every two weeks.

No need to sort into different categories, it is done by workers at a processing plant somewhere. By making this as easy, they manage to get a higher volume of recyclerd products. Why not, after all? It demands so little effort...

15. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, we used to have to sort it ourselves where I live but now it's just one sack for cardboard/plastics, and a box for glass.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm proud of the government of pulling off, recycling has become a part of everyday life, I remember everyone being up in arms about it, but it's a bloody good thing! I've noticed instead of chucking out maybe 6 bin bags a fortnight, we're chucking 2... The rest is recycled.

17. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You're proud of the government for forcing everyone under threat of fines to participate in a program that makes you feel like you're accomplishing something good, when in actuality the program accomplishes nothing, and in fact may even have a negative effect on the situation.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Lets use plastic water bottles as an example. It might take more energy to recycle and reuse them instead of just making new ones, but that's worth it because you aren't then just burying a **** load of plastic bottles in the ground for eternity.

19. robvas macrumors 68020

Recycling is a joke. They don't recycle in my town, so my g/f takes a couple cans and jars and stuff to her parents house, who live out in the sticks. Then they send a huge truck out to pick the stuff up every week :(

I'm more about reducing and re-using. We recycle paper products at work just because there's so much of the crap though. At home...not worth it.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I used to before the garbage collectors started charging us to pick it up.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So it isn't best to not use something in the first place, then next to reuse it and finally to recycle it?

That seems pretty backwards. Germany did so widely 20 years ago.

22. brunetmj macrumors member

Well there will come a time when we won't have a choice unless we turn the entire country into a land fill.I think it's safe to say it's here to stay and we need to get use to it

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or worse - floating in the ocean and killing wildlife. Even better would not to buy plastic bottles in the first place/keeping them to a minimum.

We recycle a lot where I live. Green waste is collected and goes into making compost (which in turn is sold back to the consumer), and plastics, paper, glass, tins etc all go to the recycler for reforumulation. Once a year we've a local materials waste recycling day where you can take paints and chemicals and old batteries for instance. It's like a fair :).

edit: the poll results make me happy :).

24. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Recycling is a waste of resources and should be stopped immediately. Instead we should expand landfills!

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nice proclamation.

Got proof to back it up?