Your opinon on vaccination programmes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niploteksi, May 7, 2017.

?

Would you vaccinate your children?

1. Yes, it's my responsibility to humanity.

50 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. No, vaccines are fake and dangerous stuff.

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. niploteksi macrumors regular

I stumbled upon some news on the famous website inforwars, while I was snooping around for opinions on the French election.

Celeste Mcgovern was interviewed on the issues on how dangerous the vaccines are for children. Mcgovern is also behind articles like:
    "Vaccine Conspiracy or Racist Population Control Campaign: The Kenyan Tetanus Shot"
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/va...pulation-control-campaign-kenyan-tetanus-shot

This is the link to inforwars:
    https://www.infowars.com/bombshell-study-proves-unvaccinated-children-are-healthier/

"Vaccinated kids are more sickly than unvaccinated kids. Main stream Media have been bought by corporations."

I found it interesting to read the comment section of the news cast as well.

What's your thought?

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

We vaccinated all our kids on a slightly modified schedule. Meaning, when it was time for our kids to get 4 shots, we would only get one but made sure to make appointments to get the other 3. No need to load them up all at the same time, as long as we got them done, we were happy. I think people who are against vaccinations are misinformed and doing harm to their kids by not getting the shots. However, I don't have a problem with those who say we have too many vaccinations and are adding too many more, too quickly.

4. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Vaccines have worked so well, people have forgotten the horror of the diseases they prevent. The anti-vaxers are some of the most ignorant people I've ever tried to have a conversation with. Yes, you should question everything, including the manufacturer and any issue they may have had with their batches (HPV comes to mind there). It's important to educate yourself. But, know that vaccines are tested to the nth degree before they can be made available to the public.

5. VulchR, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not treatment is 100% safe, and the same applies to preventative treatments like vaccines. However, the benefits outweigh the costs (both financial and in terms of medical side effects) and the best you can say is that the extent being vaccinated is a gamble, it is an enormously safe gamble - one that is much safer than the gamble of not being vaccinated.

I'm getting old and I debated getting the flu vaccine this year. I didn't, and sure enough I got flu that caused serious complications with which I am still dealing. I wish had vaccinated myself...

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly what I did. nurse got mad because she had the other shots "ready".

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's not unreasonable, considering that complications tend to arise if their immune systems are at a low point, and those shots do contain small amounts of some very nasty stuff, which is (as far as I'm aware) meant to provoke a response to the injection.

On a side note, Infowars is all about confirmation bias here. A single study isn't sufficient to draw such a conclusion. If it contains significant data that is in fact actionable (as in their conclusions are well founded and can be used to form a reasonable null hypothesis for later studies), then you will see additional studies in this area.

Jones as usual is just jonesing for something to validate his nonsense.

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This is a trigger topic for me, considering how some deadly diseases like polio and smallpox have been almost eradicated thanks to vaccination and now some not-so-benign sicknesses like measles are making a comeback, including in Europe by the way (Romania and Italy have been affected for example), thanks to ninnies* like Andrew Wakefield. The Somali-American community is the latest victim.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...es-910a:homepage/story&utm_term=.5c2c8cd4bdd3

*The words I would use would be filtered but these people can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

9. Altis macrumors 68020

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

My thoughts are that when you read crack pot sites, you're going to receive crack pot views.

11. steve knight, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

There was just a outbreak of measles in a samalie immigrant population. One flake was telling them how horrible vaccines were. One woman had to hospitalization her child because of it. The worst part is her sister died of it in samalie. I am sure wwe will see more outbreaks because of the lack of science that trump supports.

http://m.startribune.com/in-measles...nes-still-plagues-somali-community/420131133/

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

13. niploteksi thread starter macrumors regular

I think this goes beyond "crack pot" views. These people are nearly rabid because people are getting vaccinated.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have to confess I'm a tad disappointed there aren't anti Anti-Vaxxers participating in this thread. But maybe I'm just perverse.

There are few things that make me madder than the Anti-vax people. I was lucky enough to be born just a few years after the Polio vaccine entered wide circulation. But there were a couple of kids in my primary school who'd suffered from polio. I, as a kid, had measles and rubella. And the rubella damaged the enamel in my molars so I still have a number of fillings as a result.

What the hell is the matter with people, thinking they have the right to endanger their kids, and our society, over crackpot science?

A pox on them all. Literally.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Few posts from antivaxxers

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2017 ---
    look at all the celebs that are now anti vaxx hell trump has blabbed about it and has had people on his team that were anti vaxx. well educated people are jumping on the bandwagon. I get antivaxxer posts on Facebook and it can be crazy I mean really.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But, but, it was going down before vaccines were introduced.

(Borrowing shamelessly from climate change denier arguments)

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think we should allow parents not to vaccinate their children however we should write the laws so that if your child that you chose not to vaccinate spreads a vaccine preventable disease to another child who's vaccine didn't work or had a legitimate medical reason for not being vaccinated you get charged with attempted murder if the infected child lives and murder if the child dies.

19. Zenithal Suspended

The problem with some of their kids is they either had their child when they were too old or because of conditions unknown because both father and mother weren't tested. There's an abundance of tests available before you conceive, during gestation and after birth. It is extremely rare that two people beyond the prime age of having children can have a child without any issues.

Celebrities are entertainers. If I wanted their opinion on anything remotely health related, no, scratch that, I wouldn't ask for their opinion. Do your act and jog off, is what I say.

20. Nefilim Suspended

"Please don't cry about Infowars" - some pathetic *******s.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Anti-Vaxxers are ridiculous. There is a special place in hell for people like Andrew Wakefield (fraudulent Doc who invented the vaccine-autism hysteria). I think spacing out vaccines is fine if that's what you want to, as long as your kids are vaccinated in a timely period. The idea of immune overload is debunked (unless your kid has an immune deficiency) and the amount of mercury in vaccines (if there at all) is infinitesimally small... nowhere near levels that would cause toxicity.

It wasn't long ago when children died frequently or were permanently disfigured from now preventable illnessses. To think these diseases can't come back is silly.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And that's what I really don't get about anti vaxxers even if it was true that vaccines cause autism would you really prefer a dead child to an autistic one?

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I get a flu shot every year now, got my shingles shot a couple of years ago, and just got my first pneumonia shot, with one more due next year. My sincere belief is that the anti-vaccine movement is based mostly on ignorance and grasping at straws.

Of possible interest-
    History of Anti-vaccination Movements

What I remember is the alleged connection between vaccines and autism. However according to the article:
    A large number of research studies have been conducted to assess the safety of the MMR vaccine, and none of them has found a link between the vaccine and autism.[19]

24. mollyc macrumors 6502a

I am a big believer in vaccines, and my kids have had most all of their shots. However, I will not let my kids get the HPV shot. I have seen way too many horror stories of adverse side effects (especially young girls) and for that do not believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I honestly believe (hope) that one will be pulled.

I also held off on the chicken pox one, hoping my kids would get it naturally and have better immunity, but they didn't get it by preschool, so I had them vaccinated for it. I didn't have CP until I was 16, and my husband never had it, so he had his vaccine a few weeks before our oldest did to make sure he didn't have any chance of contracting it from her when she was vaccinated.

I do think there are cases where vaccines are not in the best interest of specific people, but I am all for the idea of herd immunity and reducing as many of the deathly illnesses as possible.