Your Plans for iPhone 6

What are your plans for the iPhone 6?

• If it's larger I'm not getting it.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • I'll get the 4.7".

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • I'll get the 4.7" and then get the 5.7" if/when it's released.

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • I'll wait for the 5.7" if it's been confirmed.

Votes: 43 18.6%
  • I'll wait for the 5.7" even if it hasn't been confirmed.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 15 6.5%

• Total voters

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
If I had the choice between a 4.7" and a 5.7" iPhone I think I'd probably choose the larger one. But... If what they say is true and the larger phone is delayed I'll probably end up getting the 4.7" on release day and keeping it for 2 years.

I'm mainly curious how many people would be willing to hold out a few months for a larger (5.7") iPhone, even if it hasn't been confirmed.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
If it hasn't been confirmed by Apple that a larger (than 5") phone was going to be released after a 4.7" there would have to be some very credible sources saying it was coming for me to feel comfortable waiting.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
two things: one, there may not be changes at all. two, knowing apple they wouldn't push 5.5 screen on phones. i don't get the 4.7" either because that is an awkward number on paper...we'll see how it fits in the hand if it comes out. i wish they could go the 5" route since majority competitor flagship phones are 5" also it'll future proof it.

i've held and used a 5" before and i say that is the perfect size to end it all. it was kind of big but iphone being ios and top notch build quality, i think i might like it very much.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Given those options and the phones have identical specs and features I'd go for the 4.7".

If the 5.7 has better specs and/or features I'll need to play with it for a while to see if I like it.

Personally I don't see a 5.7" iPhone happening with the iPad mini being kind of close in screen size albeit the Mini not being a phone. However someone that buys an iPhone 5.7" model will likely have no use for a Mini and never consider buying it.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
i have an upgrade in September and i'm still on at&t's unlimited plan. i'll definitely be getting the 4.7"

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd rather they keep the existing 4" size, but if it's 4.7" that would probably be my limit.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am very happy with the 4" screen on my 5s....one of the main reasons I like iphones. Unless there is a must have feature I will just stick with the 5s.

If I upgrade, I will pick the smallest of the new phones.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
As someone who previously owned the Galaxy Note 3, I will say that it was just too big. While the screen was really impressive, it was just close to impossible to operate with only one hand. I think the only way I'd consider the 5.5 or 5.7 version (whichever it ends up being) is if the specs just blow away the 4.7 version, but I highly doubt that will be the case. My upgrade is in December so hopefully we'll have a good idea of what we're looking at for both sizes by then.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Going to hold out for the 5" device. Don't want to go for it unless it's at least over 1" bigger than my current iPhone. If they DON'T release one bigger by at least an 1" then I guess I'll get whatever they release.

Baa.

Ps. Having said that, Apple would need to confirm a larger phone was coming at their 2014 iPhone event for me to wait. If a 4.7" device is the only device confirmed, I'll go for that.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I am very happy with the 4" screen on my 5s....one of the main reasons I like iphones. Unless there is a must have feature I will just stick with the 5s.

If I upgrade, I will pick the smallest of the new phones.
I agree here. I may stick with my 5s for the time being. Although I would probably favor the 4.7" screen if I did decide to upgrade.

For me, it's all about how a bigger phone feels in my hand. When the 5 was announced, I told myself I wouldn't get it, and I eventually caved after I played around with it at my local Apple Store. I highly doubt I would go for the 5.7" screen though.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Still undecided. I'm leaning towards the larger one though. My upgrade isn't until October so I have a bit of time to hold out and see what happens.

cwwilson

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't even think it's possible to answer this. We haven't seen the official reveal so who knows what's at stake. I am certainly liking what I'm seeing from the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8. Those are the premier Android handsets right now so hopefully Apple steps up their game and makes an iPhone that blows them away. Apple's been playng conservative for far too long.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It really depends I'll probably get the 4.7'' one but if I like the 5+ inch one there is possibility to lean towards it. Looking forward to see them :)

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Still undecided. I'm leaning towards the larger one though. My upgrade isn't until October so I have a bit of time to hold out and see what happens.
I wish people would stop creating threads speculating on a larger iPhone that will never be released. It's only going to lead to disappointment for some people later in the year. Apple will not release an iPhone that is larger than 5 inches because it's not a good experience for consumers. Apple is in the experiences business and they exist to delight.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm on the fence, I've just switched over to a Nokia Lumia (5" wp8 phone) and its been a great experience. As for the iPhone 6, I'd consider it, if were coming in a larger display like the Lumia Icon, with that said if the rumors were correct, I'm concerned about how thin its going to be. I think apple's love affair with thin products is getting to the point where it affects the overall strength.

Finally if a larger device is rolled out, will it be using the same resolution or a higher resolution?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I wish people would stop creating threads speculating on a larger iPhone that will never be released. It's only going to lead to disappointment for some people later in the year. Apple will not release an iPhone that is larger than 5 inches because it's not a good experience for consumers. Apple is in the experiences business and they exist to delight.

Your speculating in speculation. A large percentage of posts in this forum are talking about the what the new phone will be. It's all pure speculation until it's announced. No one here knows. It's a hobby, don't take it so seriously.

The Note 3 sold 10 million units in two months. For something with a poor experience that's a lot of phones for a device on its third generation of poor experience.

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
Bigger screen and bigger battery is a most for me to get the so called iphone 6, or else ill stick with my 5s and my 5 for backup phone!

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
I don't want 4.7", it's not continent to carry around. I prefer tablet with larger screen but a iphone with 4.0-4.3"