Your prediction? Will OS and App Store on the new ATV4 also come to ATV3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by oneMadRssn, Aug 6, 2015.

?

Will the OS with app store on ATV4 also be released for the existing ATV3?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2015.
  1. Yes - The ATV3 will also get the new OS and App Store!

17.1%
  2. No - The ATV3 will not be updated with the new OS and App Store.

25.2%
  3. Partially - The ATV3 will get a token OS update with some new channels, but no App Store.

57.7%
  1. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Lot's of prediction threads going around regarding the upcoming ATV4, figured I would add one that also relates to our beloved ATV3.

Do you think whatever OS ships on the ATV4 will also be released as an update to the ATV3? In that, will the ATV3 get the new OS as well as the predicted App Store for it?

Personally, I think the ATV3 will get the new OS and App Store, but some features will not be available only on the new ATV4. For example, the ATV3 will not get the multitasking picture-in-picture feature, where you can browse the menu while continuing to watch content in a smaller floating box (like in iOS9). Or the ATV3 will not get the gaming features of the new OS. Or the ATV3 will not get the Siri features of the new OS.

So based on nothing but reasonable imagination and past Apple behavior, what do you guys predict?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

At this point it's safe to say every Apple TV owner is upset with Apple over their extreme neglect of this device. There has Been so many predictions of imminent announcement for every Apple Event. Only to yet again be disappointed.

So like many others, I have given up with wish lists and predictions. And have a 'I won't bother getting my hopes up' attitude when I see another article with 'insider knowledge'.

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

I really hope so--my atv needs an amazon prime instant video app.

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

That will happen when Amazon puts on their big boy pants and pony up 30% revenue to Apple

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

Apparently coming of age as a man involves a struggle against common sense. I usually use my iPad, but I don't like to share my personal tablet with others in my household.

6. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

considering the ATV is basically an iPhone 4, i do not see any reason why it shouldn't be able to run apps from an appstore.
    I do understand ATV1 was ditched so easily, as it was running on "difficult" hardware, but the ATV2 and ATV3 is basically iPhones

7. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

How? the ATV3 has no storage, so the app store will do you no good. The OS will be pretty similar, but app running capability will not work as you can not install / save anything.

8. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I think the ATV3 might get a GUI update, and probably more channels or an app for Apple's TV service if that happens, but I don't see it getting the full app store. That would strictly be for the new device.

As I mentioned in another thread I could see Apple coming out with an Apple TV Stick that would work just like the current ATV3 and only run the built in apps and stream/airplay stuff. That would compete with the FireTV stick and the Chromecast and probably sell around $50-60. But the new ATV4 with the app store will be a bigger box like the current one and will cost more.

9. M@C macrumors member

10. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The ATV3 has 8GB of storage. Currently it's used for the OS, channels, and streaming cache.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=125840

11. twintin macrumors 6502

Yeah, but that's what it will be used for in future OS updates too. For user app storage it mst likely will be claimed it needs 16 GB or so is my guess.

12. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

There are plenty of 8GB iPhones out there, with App Stores. While I think we all agree it's far from ideal, especially for games, it shows 8GB is enough for iOS and a few dozen streaming apps.

I'm not saying 8GB is perfectly enough, but I don't think it's too little to have an App Store.

13. M@C macrumors member

Yes I know this, but it's for caching only, not storage.

14. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's currently for caching only. There is no technical reason this allocation can't be changed in an OS update.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I do not see why they would not allow Streaming Apps like is there already. Like Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now and Showtime. Amazon Prime seems to be very important to most of us. Also, Sling TV App would like to be on the Apple TV (I ask them and they were very interested in getting on the Apple TV). And there a lot of other streaming Apps on the iPad that could easily be added to the Apple TV if there was an App Store. However, I do agree that it would be hard to add serious gaming without more local storage. And you would also need a good gaming remote.

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Why? First, you can get Netflix and Hulu without Apple getting anything unless you subscribe thru iTunes. And, I think Apple is now charging 15% for HBO Now and Showtime. Lastly, Amazon Prime is FREE with your Prime Subscription that you pay for on the Amazon Web Site. So, really nothing to be purchased on Apple TV. Unless you are talking about Amazon Instant which no body is asking for. No reason to add that when you can buy and rent TV/Movies on iTunes. And, Netflix and Hulu also do not buy or rent TV/Movies.

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Amazon Prime is both a subscription and a store. It's the store side of things that Amazon doesn't wish to share revenue with Apple. Remember a lot of AP video content is for sale.

18. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

But the same rules apply to the iPhone app, and Amazon has no problem having a streaming-only app for the iPhone without the for-sale content. Amazon can do the same for AppleTV. After all, Amazon is trying to sell more Prime memberships right now.

Also, the whole 30% revenue share with Apple has always been sort of strange to me. I understand that something purchased using the In-App-Purchase API must pay Apple 30%. But at the same time, there are plenty of store apps that sell physical items that don't pay the 30%. For example, Amazon's own app, Best Buy app, Groupon app, eBay app, Touch of Modern, etc. None of those stores pay the 30%. I can order a brand-new DVD on the Amazon app without Apple getting 30%, but I can't order that same movie as a download that is delivered using the Amazon servers and payment processed by Amazon without Apple getting 30%?

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I understand you can and that is why I was talking about just the PRIME ONLY content similar to Netflix. I know Prime Members can also access Amazon Instant but I am saying that part would not be available on the Apple TV App. Here is a comparison between Amazon Prime and Amazon Instant. Amazon Prime Members get a number of benefits for the $99 per year. I think Amazon is very interested in getting as many Prime Members as it can. Not sure that the Movie Rental/Purchase (Instant) would stop them from wanting to make the Prime Members Happy. Maybe not.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/11/amazon-prime-vs-amazon-instant-video

20. 2010mini macrumors 68040

When Amazon bought comixogy the first thing they did was shut down the ability to purchase directly through the app. They did that just to not share revenue with Apple. On the iOS device, if you want to watch non-prime content it directs you to a web browser. That is easier on a mobile device than on the ATV. It would be super annoying to have to leave the tv and go purchase you want to watch

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

If they gave us VUDU and Amazon we'd be set... Still want 7.1 audio for at least one of them.

All we need is playback....

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

You know this how? Because you have examined the source code and had lengthy discussions with the AppleTV and iOS engineers and that is what they told you?

23. cynics macrumors G3

One technical reason is if you use it for storage you can no longer use it for caching.

24. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I know this because I have an engineering degree, and can use my powers of deduction and critical thinking. o_O :)

Look at the facts:
    - ATV runs a modified version of iOS
    - There are other iOS devices that have 8GB of storage and the same A5 SoC
    - Those devices can have a few dozen streaming apps easily, and those apps stream 1080p content just fine.

It's not all or nothing. It's not like you need the full 8GB for cache. The space can be allocated as needed. I can have 500MB of free space left on my iPhone and it still streams Netflix shows and movies perfectly.

Or maybe they can do it similar to how it's done on the Apple Watch. 4GB is dedicated to Apps, the rest is reserved for cache and OS.

25. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Given that the Apple TV didn't get an update with iOS 8.4, and doesn't yet support Apple Music, and the rumours that updated hardware was due at WWDC but delayed... my guess is that the OS is ready but being held back since it contains identifiers for the new hardware that Apple isn't quite ready to disclose.