Your response to people who "hate paying for everything"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rever3nce, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I work retail and sell majority of Apple products or iphones" and the number one response I get when people want something else is " I hate paying for music". I completely understand where they are coming from, but since when has music been free?

I have some co-workers that also hate paying for music and I did a test, I own a vehicle with a 7 channel 250W stereo system with 1 12" sub, downloaded a "Hip Hop" genre song and put the "Gtunes" song on first.... volume was almost full blast and could barely hear any bass at all and highs were not even good sounding at all. Same song off iTunes and I could barely have it 1/4 of the way volume without feeling like my windows are gonna break from so much bass.

Sorry for the ranting, but I just don't see why people "hate the iphone" for such a silly reason or hate paying for things as little as .99 to $1.29 per song. Yet they will buy their 2 year old a $169 3Ds and $39.99 games.

so my question is , whats your response to people like that?

Once again, sorry for ranting and not trying to say "I am right" or anything, just confused as to how people see things.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Because there's a different mentality when something comes of a credit card even though it's equal to the one dollar coin in someone's pocket.

For a reason I don't know.

5. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

6. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

You can still acquire music from sources other than iTunes. As long as its a compatible format, iTunes wil manage your music for your iDevices.

That's what I tell my customers anyway.

7. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I tell them that, but they already have "I have to pay for EVERYTHING I do" in their heads. Then again, my customers thing that iphones still can't receive picture mail :rolleyes: They insist that you have to go through email instead

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

The ability to buy just one song instead of having to pay $15 for a whole cd that might only have one or two good songs is a blessing. And for the most part we have iTunes to thank for that.

There are a lot of people involved in getting that music up there. From writing and recording to production and marketing. People gotta get paid. You make a good song I have no problems paying for it. Same goes for movies.

A lot of young people grew up in a world where there was never not a way to easily steal music. It shows.

9. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Thats exactly what I mean. This morning I text someone "Get me off of iTunes" (being sarcastic) she said "why?" I told her "I just spent like $30 worth of music! :D" and she freaked out when I said "Paying for music" , she said she gets her music for free all the time and doesn't see why I pay for mine. It drives me nuts when I hear that. I would like to see these people work for free. Oh but she just went to some country music concert and payed like $120 for tickets :confused:

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...in her defense, at least some of the $120 she spent on the concert will actually go to the musicians. Even more if she buys a shirt or other merchandise there.

It's pathetic how little the artists make from iTunes (or CD's for that matter).

11. rever3nce thread starter macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Yeah I know what you mean. Just mind boggling to me when she's willing to spend that much for 2 hours of which I am sure was super fun to her, but .99 cents or $1.29 is "crazy" to her to spend on music.

12. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What has paying with music got to do with the iPhone? :confused:

14. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Last time I checked... many iPhone users still "steal" music. I'm not sure if it's prevalent only to non-iPhone users? I know jailbroken iPhones and some other devices can download illegal content right on those devices, but that is just a very small fraction of users.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

16. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

The "iTunes Volume" part is not really true. iTunes gives high quality 320KBPS audio, and people can just download 320KBPS songs off the net.

17. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Iphone users do it too. My daughter and all her friends share music all the time. All you have to do is copy it from wherever into your itunes folder and then sync it to your iphone - and you don't have to be jail broken to do it.

Personally I pay for my music (maybe a guilt thing with me) but its the next generation that are the ones that assume "its all for free"!

18. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Since when does window shattering bass imply that it's good quality music?? No offense, but you guys that ride around with with that earth shaking bass, thinking it sounds good, is way, way off. Whenever I see one of you I just have to laugh. It's horrible...trust me.

19. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

iTunes. Since an iPhone is the only smartphone that comes with it.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It depends what type of music you're listening to. Bass and hiphop go hand in hand, but I agree that there is a limit. I like rumbling bass but only if I can still hear and enjoy the song.

Also OP, your song sounded crap because you got it from a crap source. You can get free music (illegal or not) that sounds great and has never seen iTunes in its life.

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats what I was thinking.

22. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

In fact you get better quality music from illegal sources. All iTunes music is lossy, not that iPhone natively plays flac files anyway but then iPhone/iPod never was the best way to listen to music.

23. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

To the people that "Hate paying for everything." Quit being so cheap. :cool:

24. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Is this just about music or about buying stuff for your phone in general? Because I get a lot of that attitude with apps from Android people. What the conversation always ends up turning to is that they claim they refuse to pay for apps, they'll only do free ones. Consequently, they usually don't have many apps at all. Not that there aren't tons of free ones, but they just don't find many useful apps. I think its because if you refuse, as a matter of principle, to pay for apps, you miss out on a lot of good ones. When we compare, I always have orders of magnitude more apps than they do. And yeah, a lot of them weren't free, but they're useful, or fun. So tell me again why you paid $200 for a device and $100 a month for service and you won't spend another $20 a year on various apps? :rolleyes: