Your tax dollars helping Baltimore. $16M food stamp fraud.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Aug 30, 2016.

1. 1458279 Suspended

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How is this possible without having people who are receiving benefits in on it? What is the scheme here? You let me scan your EBT and we split the money? If so, shouldn't we have some participants going to jail as well as the owners? We do track who's EBT is being swiped right?

The bad part is that kids are probably starving at home.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'm sure it's easy for them to track the when, where, and how much for each EBT transaction. But I don't think it would be easy to prove which transactions at a specific establishment were fraud. If the merchant was keeping electronic inventory and scanning in each product, and had a record of each transaction and the exact sale of product, you may be able to. But something tells me the kind of store that pulls this fraud probably isn't keeping the best inventory or track of each transaction sold.

Yup.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People committed crime. People got caught.

Cool. Looked like the system worked.

What's the problem then?

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually the store owners got caught, the people alleging they can't afford food for their kids got away and will continue to live on the public dole, exploiting their children and raising another generation of ********s.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds to me as if they nabbed the key figures.

8. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Ok, looks like the link was for a different story, I thought they were the same story.

Here's the link, looks like it's in Buffalo:
    Buffalo store owner accused of trading food stamps for money

It looks like there is a public apology of some type if you fast forward to 0:20 you can see their apology. So maybe we should all forgive and forget?

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

More like lock up and deport.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not all scammers are people ripping off their kids food stamps.

Food stamp fraud suspects to make religious defense argument

http://bigstory.ap.org/05f010d549394cdab529c7e81ed9a628

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

$16M in Food Stamps fraud seems pretty insignificant compared to the the BILLIONS of Medicare/Medicaid fraud.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Isn't that nice. Two Muslims flipping the bird and saying "F**k America."

13. jerwin, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

jerwin macrumors 65816

Sometimes what people need most is cash. It's politically untenable to admit this, but sometimes lack of cash is what keeps people from keeping and finding a job.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

A shame private industry isn't there to help prove government wrong, they're either offshoring everything, devaluing everything/putting out slave wages that in turn force workers to use other programs since there aren't enough jobs (you know, what people otherwise say for every other inconvenience), or trying to find ways to fleece the people.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Or colleges engaging in grade inflation, not enforcing their own rules, diluting course quality, etc, to fleece millions of taxpayers more than a thousand billion dollars since the great recession started since it was obvious people would go back for more college training because companies still demand people have college degrees, bigger ones than ever...

Bet corruption is everywhere, but let's be as one-dimensional about that and never blame the supply side. After all, when you're blamed, it's always your neighbor across the street that's to blame.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    These folks never mention corporate welfare. Must be okay, then... ?

15. Limey77 macrumors regular

This is exactly why these EBT cards are a waste of time. As others have said, sometimes what you actually need is cash not food. And it might even not be for drugs and alcohol but perhaps to repair a car, buy a train ticket, take a college class, get credit for a cell phone, buy an outfit for a job interview etc.

So these stores offer people 50c-80c on the dollar for their EBT's and once again the poor get screwed while the wealthy (at least comparatively) get richer.

It's a shame there isn't more desire to actually help the poor rather than punish and ostracise them.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How are any of those things the responsibility of the government to provide?

17. Limey77 macrumors regular

Who ever said they were the responsibility of the government to provide - I certainly didn't.

BUT if you allowed people on food stamps the dignity of receiving cash rather than an EBT then they would have the personal choice (a right wing ideal) on how to spend that money.

Perhaps they don't need any food this week as a friend has provided for them or a relative.

The issue is that by giving these cards not only do you stigmatise the poor, you also lessen their choices and reduce their options. Does your employer get to dictate where and how you spend your income or is that up to you? If you're an employer do you dictate how your employees spend their pay check?

Then why should you, I or the government dictate how a poor person spends their benefits - we can't possibly know their personal needs better than them.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

When you are provided something there is no personal choice.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There's one other choice if they don't want to be stigmatized, get a ****ing job like everyone else paying for the ****ing EBT cards that you are using. Join the military, go mow a lawn, if the illegals can find a job with no ID, no money, and no connections what is your excuse?

Of course their choices are restricted, they have been proven to not be able to make good choices, thus their need for EBT.

Like the moocher friend who complains what type of beer he is drinking out of your fridge FFS.

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

An here we have the prime example of why this problem exists and is abused by those damned capitalists.

It is exactly this treatment of those less fortunate than you that has led America to the place it is now in.

The current system debases people, removes incentives and refuses to allow people the most basic of human rights. If you actually want people to get off of state benefits then EBT cards are the worst thing you can do - as this news story so aptly shows.

Sadly as the two posters I have quoted show, there is some deep need in some sections (mainly right wing) of American society to punish the poor just for being poor. They're not happy with them just being poor, they need them to beg and grovel for every morsel and want to keep them down, just so they can feel better about themselves.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think you missed the point, we aren't asking them to beg and grovel, we are asking able bodied people to get a job and contribute to society. Most of the people I know have been working at least part time since they were teenagers, why should someone who has decided to check out get all of the same freedoms?

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not going to quote the above bunch of posts, but here's my 2 Cs: a bunch of years ago, my dad stopped going to volunteer to hand out food at a local food bank. When I asked why, he said he was sick and tired of putting food into really nice cars (more expensive brands than he ever had). I brought this up at work and a coworker told me, you don't understand, a nice car is a symbol of pride for some people, especially in poor neighborhoods. They can't really be proud of the dumps they live in so that's a way of showing people that they have some pride. I told him pride would be selling that car and providing for your family. I'm all for helping those who need food. I get it, there are too many kids going to sleep hungry, who can't focus in school because they are hungry, families that live in food deserts, etc. But middle ground here folks, get rid of the nice car first before you ask me for help.

23. Limey77 macrumors regular

You're making an awful lot of fallacious assumptions.

Yes I admit there will always be a very small percentage of people who are happy to just freeload off of society. However the majority of people on welfare only want to improve their lives and not have to rely on state aid.

Things like the EBT make it much, much harder for these people to succeed and do nothing (as this case shows) to stop people abusing the system in one way or another.

It is simply not worth the cost to wheedle out the few abusers. A much better policy is to treat everyone with respect and dignity and allow them the same choices as all other Americans rather than actually making them second class citizens.

The EBT cards are just a ****** ploy to appeal to conservative voters to say "look we're making sure people on welfare don't buy drugs with your money"; despite ALL the evidence that shows that people on welfare are less likely to use drugs than the general population.

It's a standard thing in America that everyone feels the need to be superior to others and the poor and uneducated make the perfect scapegoats.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Links to ALL that evidence?