Your "Tether" Experiences?

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
With the news posted on macrumors, has anyone tried the new Tether app that works on non-Jb'd phones through HTLM5? Is it worth it for $30/year? Can ATT/Verizon possibly stop it?

jlwilsonjr

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
Murfreesboro Ar
I downloaded it this morning. I couldn't get to work at first but I went to lunch can back and tried again and it has since worked flawlessly. If its legit the 30 bucks a year is well worth it as the hotel I'm currently staying at charges 9.95 per day for wifi!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I downloaded it this morning. I couldn't get to work at first but I went to lunch can back and tried again and it has since worked flawlessly. If its legit the 30 bucks a year is well worth it as the hotel I'm currently staying at charges 9.95 per day for wifi!
You didn't mention how many days you stay at a hotel or what carrier or what data plan you're on so this is probably worthless, :) but it wouldn't take many hotel days to match upgrading to a tethering plan or mobile hotspot.

jlwilsonjr

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
Murfreesboro Ar
You didn't mention how many days you stay at a hotel or what carrier or what data plan you're on so this is probably worthless, :) but it wouldn't take many hotel days to match upgrading to a tethering plan or mobile hotspot.
I usually spend about 50 nights a year traveling:mad:. I use AT&T with the grandfathered unlimited plan. Was able to log right in this morning really liking it and the speeds match the hotel wifi for general web surfing.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Works fine as always. MTNL Mumbai 5$ per month 500 Mb data.
Or $15 per month for unlimited data with absolutely NO FUP.
Internet download speed is 2 Mbps constant anywhere any time in Mumbai.

Pretty much awesome experience.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_CA) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tethering worked for me out of the box on my iPhone 4. Is this a regional limitation?