Your thoughts on 80s music?

TheAngryKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Auckland, NZ
It was a couple of nights back and I was reading up on the Duran Duran album I had bought, (really loving it) and I found this nugget.

The musical hook for "Rio", well-known among Duran Duran fans and synthesizer enthusiasts, was produced by an arpeggiator -- a software tool which can play the individual notes in a chord in a chosen pattern. It was once rumored that the synthesiser used to achieve this was a Roland Jupiter-8. However, it has been said by Nick Rhodes to actually be a Roland Jupiter-4 using the random mode on the arpeggiator with a C minor chord.
Which, (excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong) basically sounds like a synthesizer playing notes in place of a real person.

With that in mind, as it seemed to be a theme for 80's music, what are your thoughts on 80s music like Duran Duran's "Rio"? Was it mindless rubbish, or a great fusion of tech and human? :p

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It fuxing rox!

http://upc.*************/uploads/images_other/spandexrox.jpg

*does air guitar*

As e said, some of it was great, some… not so much. Over all I like 80's music. Bit of fun before everything went all grunge and emo depressive... not that there's anything wrong with that. :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think most of the pop music in my iTunes library is from the 80's. And next month I'm seeing Spandau Ballet (got VIP tickets and everything :eek:).

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Don't be talkin' s*** 'bout the 80s music scene. That's my shiznit, dawg!

Okay, enough with the faux urban stuff.

I am an electronic music enthusiast and self-taught synthesizer player, with heavy influence from 80s synthpop/new wave acts like Howard Jones, Depeche Mode, Devo and The Human League. I've even met Howard backstage after a gig opening for Culture Club during the late 90s Big Rewind tour (so yeah, I crossed that line too-- he's a nice fellow, no big ego), and still follow him and other performers from that era, such as Pet Shop Boys (whose latest album, Yes, is a return to form and a must-have). Many are releasing new material.

I am also a big fan of the Modern Synthpop scene, which draws influences from both early 80s synth/new wave and late 80s alt-dance like Red Flag, Cause & Effect and Information Society (yes, those "Pure Energy" guys-- they've reformed, with new material too!). The Modern Synthpop bands I like most are Provision, The Echoing Green and Cosmicity.

But I digress. Long story short: 80s music r0x0rz my s0x0rz. :D

As for the OP's original statement:
It was a couple of nights back and I was reading up on the Duran Duran album I had bought, (really loving it) and I found this nugget.

(story of Duran Duran's "Rio" Jupiter 4 synth arpeggiator riff)

Which, (excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong) basically sounds like a synthesizer playing notes in place of a real person.

With that in mind, as it seemed to be a theme for 80's music, what are your thoughts on 80s music like Duran Duran's "Rio"? Was it mindless rubbish, or a great fusion of tech and human? :p
There is some bad 80s synth music, granted. But the "Rio" arpeggio line is highly regarded among electronic music fans as an example of good synthesizer sound design. It is instantly recognizable, and provides a perfect bubbly pop soundscape without overpowering other instruments.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
For one who didn't actually experience it, the whole decade seems more than a little weird!

Clothes, Regan, and the music.

I do love some of it, but mostly not the synthesizer pop you're talking about.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
The 1980s was the greatest decade in human history. Here's proof: AOR (Album-Oriented Rock), New Wave, and Hair Metal. :D

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I find it funny how many people out there say the 80's spawned terrible music, but never seem to know any of it. I think music from the 80's was far better than the stuff coming out today. Yes there was so extremely cooperate stuff going on, but still was pleasing to the ear and had great beats (REO Speedwagon, Boston, etc) there was the hair metal which again, wasn't all that special but is fun to listen to (Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Poison) and then there are bands that will go down in history as all time greats. It all depends on what style you like. Some of my all time favorites that either formed or got big in the 80's are

The Police
Journey
Van Halen
Skid Row
Bad Company

TheAngryKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I find it funny how many people out there say the 80's spawned terrible music, but never seem to know any of it. I think music from the 80's was far better than the stuff coming out today. Yes there was so extremely cooperate stuff going on, but still was pleasing to the ear and had great beats (REO Speedwagon, Boston, etc) there was the hair metal which again, wasn't all that special but is fun to listen to (Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Poison) and then there are bands that will go down in history as all time greats. It all depends on what style you like. Some of my all time favorites that either formed or got big in the 80's are

The Police
Journey
Van Halen
Skid Row
Bad Company
Absolutely! I by no means think 80s music is bad, I really enjoy it for the most part. Agreed, today's music is much worse. EUGH, Autotune. :p

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
It's funny, I often ask myself this very same question. It's the music of my youth (yes, I'm old) so I can't decide if it's awesome or that it just reminds me of good times.

I tend to lean towards the side that it's just plain awesome :).

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I'm not a fan of the pop or country from that era, but the rock was some of the best ever created. I was born in the early 90's, so it was before my time, but I definitely love a lot of it. It certainly had a huge influence on some of my favorite bands that I like from the current era.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
... Some of my all time favorites that either formed or got big in the 80's are

The Police
Journey
Van Halen
Although not my usual "cup o' tea", these groups are indeed classic. One of the earliest synth riffs I taught myself as a teen was the intro to Van Halen's megahit "Jump". Playing that correctly in a musical instrument store is one way to prove you're a serious player, and not just some little kid that shouldn't be noodling around on a $3000 synth workstation. I guess it's the synth equivalent of "Stairway To Heaven" for guitar players.

... today's music is much worse. EUGH, Autotune. :p
Autotune was originally intended not to be noticed (you'd be surprised how many artists use it now for its original purpose, subtle correction). Due in large part to the producers of Cher's "Believe", that's all changed. The "extreme quantization" effect was cute in small doses in the beginning, but I agree that it's simply gotten out of hand.

Yojiirill

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Illinois
Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of the eighties. I like Michael Jackson, Metallica, and probably a few other things, but most of the music I like is from the seventies, nineties, and 2000's.

I think that the reason for that is because, from a demographic standpoint, eighties music was "the boomers' last stand". Once Nevermind came out, the sound changed completely, and while I can still get used to stuff from the sixties and seventies, the eighties stuff was transitional, so stuff (such as Iron Maiden) has always felt sorta awkward to me.

Oh yeah, and hair was probably another reason :p

nava

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Talking about Metallica, i saw a guy walking down the street looking like the baddest m/f in the world and he had a shirt on that said it all "Metallica IS PEST" ...yes with a p...LMAO!!! So everytime i see a Metallica fan it reminds me of that dude, hilarious.

Ok, bye.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i grew up in the 80's and 90's (born in 79), and with my dad being a musician, I got to hear all the good 80's music.

As with everything, it is all subjective. And to the person who said something about the clothes of the 80's being weird, what generation is buying up those ridiculous skinny **** jeans:) I guess tight jeans were from the 80s, but not to the extent of what they have today..and Macy's wastes soo much display space on that garbage [/end rant]

Back to topic, some amazing music came from the 80s..
G N' R, The Smiths, Bruce Springsteen (solo), Phil Collins, Hall & Oates, Journey, MJ, Foreigner (although they formed in the 70's), Madonna, The Cure, N.W.A, INXS, Depeche Mode, NIN, (as much as people don't like to admit this..) George Michael/Wham!, Duran Duran, Def Leppard, Tears for Fears, Bran Adams, Richard Marx, Christopher Cross, .. ..
I could go on and on...

I have a healthy mix of all different genres and decades of music. I am just fond of 80's, as i remember my dad playing the records of these artists, and then in the late 80s, early 90s, going to buy the CDs, that came in a huge box, and the cd was inside this huge package..I am sure others remember what the CD boxes used to look like...

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The 80s were my 20s. Lots of good memories listening to that music good and bad. Til to this day one of my favorites is INXS, Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys. And who can forget that Romeo Void track "Never Say Never."

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Ah the 80's ~ Michael Jacksons Thriller and Bad, Guns And Roses Appetite For Destruction, Public Enemy, The Police, Run DMC the list goes on...