Your thoughts on the Tony Dungy / Michael Sam media storm?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I was surprised there wasn't already a thread about this topic and if so then I apologize for missing it.

Do you have any thoughts about the Tony Dungy / Michael Sam situation? I've seen a lot of venom from various people on both sides of the argument including some big name media personalities. The whole thing seems blown out of proportion to me and serves as more of a commentary on the sad nature of our present culture and how we handle controversial issues.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no problem with what Dungy said. However, in our polarized culture anything other than unequivocal support of homosexuals is going to get you tarred and feathered.

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

It might help if you posted a link(s) so that those unfamiliar with the scenario can read about it.

4. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

How about a google search link? I'd rather not post a specific article as sometimes people get off track in attacking the specific source with arguments of bias and what not. If others want to post specific links to support their perspective then feel free.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&hl=en&tab=lw&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=Tony+Dungy+Michael+Sam

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Eh, he really didn't say much of anything. Like most stories in this age of 24/7 news cycles it was probably overblown.

I think most of the venom came from the fact that he was an ardent supporter of Michael Vick getting a second chance to play after prison and it seemed a bit hypocritical to say he wouldn't draft someone because of the possibility of "distraction". Which is exactly what Vick was when he returned to the NFL.

Ain't freedom of speech grand?!

I think as we continue to gain our rights, this won't happen as much. But, I also think it's as much of the culture we live in as the actual subject matter.

Look at what happened with Stephen A. Smith this past week. If you're in the media or talking to the media, you really are held to the fire for statements that you make.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That's fine with me. I honestly have no idea what the situation is...excuse me while I educate myself

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a part of the forum rules. The point of it is that if your reading came from a specific source, it allows others to see exactly what you read.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

to me the irony of dungy's statement was that he put emphasis on the media-fuelled "distraction", when his own very statement was then only thing the fuelled said media-fuelled "distraction".
    in other words, what made it a big deal was that he thought it was a big deal and said it in public. if he had no qualms with a player being gay, he wouldn't have mentioned it and nobody would have picked it up.

so basically this was a non-issue made into an issue by him and the media. kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You are sadly mistaken if you really believe that Tony Dungy's mentioning of this made it into a big media deal. It was a big media deal the second Michael Sam said he was gay.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not really about Sam's homosexuality, it's about both Dungy and Sam coming from backgrounds with a history discrimination in the US. The reason Dungy is getting flak is because, as a matter of pragmatism, he wouldn't have drafted Sam because of the media circus that will swirl around him yet having a black player or a black coach in the past would have generated the same media distraction. People assume black players/coaches would/should go out of their way to support others that are discriminated against out of some feeling of kinship but that's just not how it works.

I understand Dungy's answer from a football perspective and if he was white I doubt this would be a thing.

To be honest, I think it was a poor choice by Sam to agree to letting the documentary cameras follow him around as it just keeps the media pressure amped up. By the same token I'm always surprised by the NFL teams that agree to be part of the Hard Knocks show on HBO because of the added distraction.

11. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I understand and I've read numerous articles, blogs, tweets, comments etc. on this issue. It's also been all over sports media on both radio and television. I think the google search link I posted will work just fine to help those who might be unfamiliar with the story as it would be quite difficult to post a link to literally everything that I've seen regarding the situation. Additionally, I don't have one specific source in mind that I want to reference as the foundation of my OP. Like I said before, forum members sometimes get distracted by the source of someone's information as opposed to the subject at hand. I'd rather avoid that kind of bias and have a pleasant and meaningful discussion instead. :)

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I really don't care what Dungy said.

Sam will get his chance to make the team and play, as will many other openly gay players to follow.

Tony Dungy will just have to get used to it.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well to be fair, it was a big deal for a few days during the draft (that kiss! :eek:), but has it really been that much of a big deal since? Camp started last week and there hasn't been much mention of him.

This brought it back front and center.

That said, he answered a question that somebody asked him.

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Dungy was addressing the media attention that comes with drafting the first openly gay player. Those that are calling Dungy a bigot or homophobe know he is neither of those. I am a Liberal but I admit, sometimes Liberals are just looking to stir up the drama on these types of social issues.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I am not bothered by what Dungy said.

But I do have to ask ... how do we know what Dungy is or isn't?

That's a level of knowledge that I would not claim to possess.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think what he said was that big a deal but he could have phrased it better. I think the reason he got **** for it was because he has a history of not supporting gay marriage and raising funds for some "family" group.

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Why is this even an issue? Why isn't this just "Michael Sams", another professional football player?

Everybody has to have a niche in society. We saw it in the '50s and '60s with race relations. Now we’re seeing with sexual orientation issues. Just like the blacks from MLK's time (and before, an no doubt since), they just want to be accepted as people. Why not the same for the gays? Why do they have to be special, singled out or celebrated? You want to be treated fairly? Then earn the respect of society.

Just go about your business without involving me, my family and the 6 o’clock news. I honestly don’t get it. You want to be gay? Fine, go be gay. Just don’t shove your agenda in my face. And I’ll keep my personal convictions to myself, as well.

18. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I think this is an important point. Tony Dungy didn't seek out the media to share his opinion. He was asked in an interview and, instead of dodging the question, he answered it.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Fair point. What I should have said is, to me, Dungy portrays himself as a professional who is all about what you can do on the football field, and not what your personal life consists of.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No one would care if Sam was the next Lawrence Taylor

As it is, Michael Sam's game needs more work.

It's about money and high value commodities tend to outweigh personal or societal biases ultimately when it comes to sports.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i strongly disagree.

i commute and drive a lot. i listen to the radio and although i mostly listen to NPR, it tends to get repetitive, so i also listen to other radios, including talk radios and sports radio.

the story had already died and the Sam situation was a completely non-issue, not mentioned at all or barely cited, until the dungy comments.
    i get what he was trying to say, and that he was answering a direct question, but if he had answered: "not a big deal, wouldn't have made a difference to me" it would have not been a big dal, because nobody -media in primis- would have not cared for a non-story.
    what made it a big deal was that he said it was a big deal

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets not forget LT was caught having underage sex. So he isn't the great role model.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you could have made similar comments to Dungy's about Jackie Robinson playing for the (Brookyln) Dodgers.

There were arguably other players with similar potential as Robinson at the time. And playing those white players would have saved the team the "distraction" of having a non-white player.

But it was the right time. MLB at the time needed Jackie Robinson in much the same way as the NFL of 2014 needs Michael Sam. No one can guarantee that Sam will be successful in the NFL, any more than you could have guaranteed that Robinson would succeed.

I don't hate or dislike Tony Dungy for saying what he undoubtedly believes. But I'm glad there are those with the courage to think differently.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Who said anything about role model. No one cares.

Mike Vick? Remember that guy.

Either you can throw, catch and run to an extent that makes you valuable and worth dealing with, or you aren't.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

while i agree with the concept of what you are saying, from a sporting perspective they are not really comparable. in no way Sam has the same potential as a prospect as Robinson did.
    maybe Sam will also win rookie of the year, MVP, all star and championship accolades on his way to the Hall of Fame, and certainly wish he does, but those are not realistic expectations at the moment