Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
Well here's my situation. My Army National Guard unit will be activated next week monday, August 16th to spend at least 18 months in Iraq. I've already purchased a BTO 15" PB(1.5GHz) and, this being my first portable, I must say I'm impressed. I've been leaning towards a pelican hard case to take my PB in since I've already bought a mini pelican case to carry my newly acquired Canon Elph SD110. Any suggestions for a hard durable case since I'd hate for my $2500 purchase to be damaged.

On a side note, a couple buddies of mine who are being deployed with me, whom aren't quite computer proficient are looking to get laptops as well, albeit they use PC's. I'm not all too familiar with the PC market and merely suggested to them to order via Dell's online site since they'd be better suited to customizing their computers(i.e. upgrading ram, HD size, wireless cards). The majority of these guys will just be using these laptops merely for word processing, e-mail/internet, music listening, and watching DVD's. It seems they want to spend anywhere between $1000-$2000 and the laptop having the option of either a wireless card installed or one down the line is important. Any suggestions as to whether ordering a Dell is the right course of path?

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
If you are ready so such early deployment, I wouldn't suggested placing your order through Dell or Gateway. You should recommend you buddies to pick it up at a place like BestBuy or CircuitCity and get the service plan from them as well. I strongly recommend Sony, but they are rather costly. I have always been happy with Sony laptops....until I got my PB and stopped using my 3 months old V505EX.
I have a Fraternity brother that went to Iraq, and he has complained that there were sand damages with his unit (PC). Luckily he bought a BestBuy 3 year service plan and any issues he has when he gets back, will be fixed right away.
Like edisignuk mentioned, make sure it is Centrino based, unless you can be plugged in all the time. I get 4hr 30min "real time" use with my V505EX (with the extended battery, not the standard). But the Sony product did cost me $2500+ for almost same spec as a 12"PB.
I strongly have to discourage you from purchasing HP or Compaq/ Avatech/ and other misc. companies that sell cheap products. I know they are cheaper, but the quality is significantly poorer.
Hope you get your PB in time, I have heard shipment issues. Good luck in Iraq. I support all soldiers in a fight to let any bastards know that our freedom isn't to be messed with. People that want to stop the war and complain to the soldiers about fighting there sickens me. They are there....get with the program and support our soldiers. Those damn terrorists don't care for negotiation since they have different mindset. If we don't react, they will see us as weak, and continue to attack. NEGOTIATION? They are terrorists....they want something impossible in return and still continue to do whatever they do after they get it. (Sorry I fell slightly off topic)

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I have a couple of pelican cases, and they are just about indestructable. They are made of ABS plastic and have very high crush ratings. I can jump on mine and it wont break. Pelican cases also have a rubber o-ring and and locking mechanisms that make them waterproof. They also have pressure valves on them. I am not sure that yours have all of these, but most of their cases do. I like the 1490 and 1470 attache cases. They have the o-ring and pressure valve.

I have a bigger one too, but these are probably the best size for you. The larger cases are more cumbersome.

Here's a link to pelican's site in case you don't already have it: http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

As far as PC laptops go, i personally like IBM Thinkpads more than dells.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have to second the Pelican cases as well. I do marine biology field work and those cases are tough, water resistant, sand resistant, etc. They will protect your Powerbook from about everything but WMD.

As for the PC, Centrino gets better battery life and wireless fun.

arf

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
UK
seamuskrat said:
.... They will protect your Powerbook from about everything but WMD.

And as we all know, there aren't any of those to worry about!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.