Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Everyone has those movies that you can see again and again and still get amazed of the movies. Which are yours? And why?

EDIT: After seeing that many poster had a difficult time choosing a general top 3 movies, I think doing the next can help. Choose your top 3 movies within each following genres: Sci Fi, Chick Flicks/Romantic, Action, Fantasy and Horror/Thriller. If a genre is missing do tell me to add it. (You can copy/paste the list at the end of the post to use it in your post).

Mine are:
1- Gladiator. Russell Crowe is simply amazing, and the Maximus character is perfectly elaborated. I've seen it more than 20-30 times, and each time is just better than the last.
2- Up. I can't explain it really, but Carl (the old man) is great. I've never seen an animated movie before that made such an impression on me. And the music is perfect.
3- The Godfather (the three). They are a masterpiece. I specially like Part I and Part II. The story and the actors are excellent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 3 Action

Top 3 Chick Flicks/Romantic

Top 3 Sci Fi

Top 3 Fantasy

Top 3 Horror/Thriller

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Breaking the Waves: extremely moving.

Christmas in August: a personal favorite.

Once Upon a Time in the West: cool defined.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hmm...I am certain of my #1, which is Lawrence of Arabia. I also like The Last of the Mohicans, but not sure about the ranking. Thinking....

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Casablanca: "We'll always have Paris.":)
The Seven Samurai: The original Magnificent Seven. Toshiro Mifune is the man.
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.: Yanks know it as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I love spaghetti westerns, and this is my favorite of all. Lots and lots of great quotes. Clint Eastwood always has the best movies quotes.:cool: "You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^^ I tried to watch Seven Samurai, and stopped after over an hour; Then realized I was only about a third of the way through!

That's tricky, to pick just three. I don't really have a favourite, per se, it really depends on what mood I'm in. There are certain films that I really like but wouldn't exactly say are in my top five or ten - but still I can sit down and watch them whatever mood I'm in, whereas others that I would say are some of my all time favourites I have to be in the right mood to watch.

That said, Blade Runner would be in there, I think. I like it simply because it created (or at least heavily defined and influenced) the genre. I like the music and the atmosphere; it's the rare movie that the package is enjoyable and compliments the whole. Blade Runner does this: Music, character, atmosphere, story, etc.

Departures was an excellent film, and while I'd rank it as one of my top movies, I can't sit down and just watch it any old time.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Everyone has those movies that you can see again and again and still get amazed of the movies. Which are yours? And why?

1 - Ben Hur - 1959 epic directed by William Wyler and starring Charlton Heston. The film won 11 Oscars and tells an interesting story of Christ; the book was authored by a Civil War general (Wallace).

2 - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - 1966 western that started the Spaghetti Western genre. Directed by Sergio Leone and starring Clint Eastwood, it launched both to later fame in movies.

3 - The Shootist - 1976 western starring John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, and James Stewart about a dying gunfighter. Yes the kid in the film is Ron Howard. Wayne's last film, it was nominated for an Oscar.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
1) The Godfather

2) The Godfather II

3) Rocky / Raiders of the Lost Ark (Tie)

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
It's just 1 hour 42 minutes long (including credit sequence).

Mmmm....then I must be confusing it with another movie.

EDIT: OK, I checked and no, it wasn't Casablanca the one I saw, it was Gone With the Wind.

Mike Macintosh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Washington State
Mine are...

1. The Dark Knight, I mean you can't complain this is by far the best Batman movie to date.

2. Iron Man

3. Star Trek: not a big Trekkie, but I thought it was pretty good.

AtrBirkett

macrumors newbie
1) Fifth Element - I dont know why, but the whole thing just, encapsulates me. I can just intend to watch five minuets, and realise the credits are rolling!

2) Elizabethtown - Just love the plot :rolleyes:

3) Charade - Audery Hepburn is sooo good.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
After a re-think, I've chosen.

Top three.....

1. The Matrix. It is the best film I've ever seen, I love it.

2. Fight Club. It's quite close to The Matrix, still pretty amazing.

3. Sherlock Holmes. (2009) It's brilliantly clever, and still full of action. Also very similar to House, which I also love.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. The 3 Musketeers (Not the garbage Charlie sheen version but the 1973 version starring Michael York as D'Artagnan - the book was split into two movies so both are just as good)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1. Sergeant York
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
3. Star Wars episode 3 (yes, the newer one)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
3. Desperate Living

Wow. That's not even one of the more "popular" John Waters films-- that's some seriously underground cinema right there. You have good, if twisted, taste. (I loved Jean Hill as Grizelda, the maid.)

3) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

TEG

I have total respect for The Wrath of Khan, but I like Star Trek: First Contact better. (SPOILER/highlight to view: ) IMHO, the Borg became exponentially more menacing in this film, and didn't cease being a threat when the Queen died, unlike Khan. (END SPOILER)

Star Trek: First Contact makes my Top 3, in fact. The other two, in no particular order, are:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Matrix: Reloaded (the entire freeway action sequence is top-notch)

Honorable mention: What's Eating Gilbert Grape, for the touching performance by Darlene Cates.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
1. Top Gun absolute classic, must have seen it at least 60 times. Am on my 3rd copy of the DVD as i keep on wearing them out :eek:
2. The Holiday it's the film that goes on when I'm sad and it always leaves me feeling better. Not the greatest film by any stretch but it just helps
3. The Dark Knight a true action packed fest of awesomeness

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
3. ??
2. Vanilla Sky - Total mind**** and an ending that was depressing and gut-wrenching, yet happy at the same time. Probably the only Tom Cruise performance I can stomach.
1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Cameron at his best. Arnold is a niche actor but in my opinion his performance in this was top notch.

For the life of me I can't think of any movie that comes close to my top two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.