Your top 3 reasons to stick with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chillvisio, Jul 26, 2011.

?

Snow Leopard just works fine for you?

1. YES

47 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. NO

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. chillvisio macrumors member

chillvisio

It's been almost a week since the official 10.7 release. I was reading the Mac OS X Lion forum for more than weeks and also tried the GM just to find out that there are even more reasons to love Snow Leopard.
    The release of Lion proved to me that "if something [just] works, don't fix it".
    So I decided to go back to root forum of Mac OS X and post this thread named "Your top 3 reasons to stick with Snow Leopard".
    Here they — my top 3 reasons to swith back to Snow Leopard and stay with it as it looks like iOS is coming down to the Apple desktop just to dumb it down :(
    1. Exposé and Spaces work like a charm with Mac OS X 10.6, in the mean time they are a terribly broken fusion they call Mission Control in 10.7.
    2. Rosetta: most amazing software you'll never see again in future Mac OS X releases, yet another thing that just worked till now and Apple decided to remove since its Lion release forever.
    3. Snow Leopard does not need hacking in plists and control center in order to make you productive, reverse scrolling, resume, NAS transfers, Library folder, gestures (BetterTouchTool) are all fixable, but why do I have to spend hours on my OS to make it work the way that Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard did out of the box.

Please, post your top 3 reasons to stay with SL too :) How many of you are happy with Snow Leopard the way it works?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing

Just figured I would put a positive post out there. This thread is going to repeat all the same stuff we've seen in dozens of other threads.

3. KeithJaw macrumors newbie

Mine are:

1. I don't want to go through the hell I went through last time trying to update print drivers. Production went through the floor! No thank you.

2. As 1.

3. As 1.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The reason I will stick with SL is ... Lion has nothing I need or want

as the saying goes ... If it isn't broke ...

5. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Don't care for the so called Lion "improvements", many applications run much faster in Snow Leopard and Rosetta. Lion may end up like Vista, a screwed up product orphaned between two better OS's.

6. chillvisio thread starter macrumors member

chillvisio

Do you think that they will make available a free upgrade to 10.8 in less than an year, like they did with the 10.1 release ;)

7. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

To me Lion is total gimmickery - can't even tell for the most part if I am using SL or Lion and then it broke a bunch of things. And to top that all there is dot zero release bugginess - for the first time since I bought the laptop it fails to sleep once in couple days.

Oh and the main reason I am pondering going back - my USB SmartCard Token is not recognized anymore - works perfectly fine in SL - So can't use VPN.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have not gotten around to buying Lion.
    I need to have the ability to give a good chunk of my day to installing it and just generally making it "my own".
    I'm waiting to see what problems people encounter. Two worries, NAS drives and Wacom tablets.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm now dual booting which seems to give me the best of both worlds.

I like the gestures of Lion, but it broke a few applications (mac the ripper, vodafone web sessions dashboard) I modified my life around the broken links. Now I can have both with the benefit if watching the OS mature without having to rely on it.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Battey issues for MBP.

Nothing really earth shattering about Lion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Like it or not, I guarantee most of you will be on the Lion bandwagon by the time iCloud is out this fall. You'll have no choice if you want to use it. :)

12. chillvisio thread starter macrumors member

chillvisio

13. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

So far there is nothing in Lion that makes me want to upgrade. I've always been a day 1 upgrader when it comes to Apple, but I just can't seem to go through with it this time. OS X seems to be heading toward a more iOS like feel in my opinion, which personally I'm not a big fan of (even MS seems to be planning on going that route, merging Windows Mobile 7/8 with their upcoming desktop Windows 8). I've just started dual booting Snow Leopard with Arch Linux, and sadly think I'll probably either stick with Snow Leopard until it's obsolete, or switch over to Arch permanently unless whatever comes after Lion really impresses me.

14. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

ditto

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Well, it works fine, but there's nothing write home about in Lion. I'll keep it only because that's easier than downgrading.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Is that official? If so, that's going to suck for those who want to sync their Apple products and use all of iCloud's services. Good thing I only really care about Mail which I believe should still be independent of Lion ;)

17. harold87 macrumors newbie

1. Spaces and Expose: why is it gone?
    2. AppStore: forced to go via their own channel.
    3. Microsoft behavior: all kind of unwanted applications.

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Not gone, just re-done.
    2. AppStore is optional.
    3. Which unwanted applications are you referring to?

19. smhand macrumors newbie

I've just recently come to the forums. I started searching around today to see if I could figure out why my bluetooth suddenly doesn't recognize any of my devices (all apple btw). I read in another forum and here too that there seems to be a problem between lion and bluetooth causing the issue.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back to leopard.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This same sentiment is exhibit after every OS release. IN a few years, everyone will be saying I don't need to upgrade from lion as lion is perfect yada yada

21. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Honestly I hope it does end up like Vista.

22. chillvisio thread starter macrumors member

chillvisio

+1
    It is not Mac OS anymore... it just does not work

23. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I wish people would stop making these comparisons. It's two TOTALLY different levels. Percentage of mac users who've upgraded to Lion is pretty significant. Whereas percentage of Windows users who upgraded to Vista was dismal.

24. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Pretty much. With every new "innovation" apple is coming out with, they are slowly forcing users to rely on them for more and more. The lack of restore disks is ridiculous, the fact that they charge more than double for physical media that costs them next to nothing is equally ridiculous. Apple already overcharges for upgrades, and now is making it harder to do so yourself. I don't particularly wish to take my computer to apple, pay 3x what I would to upgrade myself and be limited to what they decide are the options for my computer.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. Nas concerns
    2. Driver concerns (printer not working)
    3. Battery/heat issues
    4. Stability issues
    5. Software compatibility concerns
    6. Resource hog
    7. No compelling feature to entice me to upgrade