Your View on Obama's Joint Session of Congress Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I don't know about you guys, but ALOT of what I'm going to think of Obama depends on this upcoming speech.

I sure hope he grows some balls and gives the speech we all want him to give but doubt he actually will.

If Obama wussies out, will it color your view for the next 3 or so years?

Edit:
    Full text of the speech.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

To me he has already failed to live up to many of his promises, DADT anyone? My opinion will more likely hinge on what the healthcare bill looks like when it passes, if it does.

Whatever the case is, he will always be better then Bush. People start defending the Patriot Act...

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Really? Whatever the case is? No matter what happens between now and the end of his term?

Talk about prejudicial. :rolleyes:

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally to me Obama seems like just another politians who can make good speeches but at the end of a day he is still the lieing, filthy, self-surveying power hunger, politician. It will be standard political BS that the news will make a big deal about but at the end of the day nothing will get done.

This health care bill has already been so water down trying to make everyone happy it will make no one happy.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I feel pretty much the same as the OP: he's already disappointed me, and I have a feeling that tomorrow he's going to cement that feeling.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He better do something, or everyone is going to lose faith in him. I agree with what someone said earlier- DADT, DOMA both should have been gone already.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'd say the probability of Obama, or really any democrat, invading a country under false pretenses is very low. But never say never...

I am up in arms about the healthcare debate. I hoped that Obama would have enough balls to stick to his guns on the public option, something I feel we really need for actual reform, but so far that hasn't been the case. The whole handling of this thing has been one big cluster****.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You say false, I say incorrect - the motives are different, but the end result is the same. And I agree, I don't think Obama is going to initiate any strikes anywhere.

But that isn't exactly what thegoldenmackid said. He said "whatever the case is." He could go completely bat-guano crazy and start acting like Carter, and do stuff along the lines of grant amnesty to the Vietnam draft dodgers, give the Panama Canal away, or sit idly by why another country kidnaps some of our citizens. My challenge was whether he would really view Obama as better than Bush under any circumstance.

Maybe he would - I don't know. But there's a lot of time left in his term; anything can happen.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think he's trying to play bipartisan way too much and being taken advantage of (and therefore the American people too) in the name of compromise. The GOP has already made it painfully obvious that their game this presidency is do anything to obstruct, its time to cast them aside as they become increasingly less relevant to the will of the People.

Edit: Tomorrow, aside from money (which we know is all people care about apparently) what business did we have in controlling the Panama Canal? I hate when we occupy foreign territory (meaning I hate America's foreign policy basically).

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The U.S. bankrolled and built it. There are substantial tolls to be collected as a result - are you suggesting we should just build it at our own expense, then let everyone else use it as freely as they please?

The canal is also a very strategic implementation; the country that controls it can force its foes/sanctioned countries around the Cape, rather than using our shortcut, if so desired.

Here's an even better question: why is money not a valid reason?

Are businesses wrong to charge for goods and services that they create? You might not like that some companies make profits on their goods and services (for shame!), but that's the way of the world. Since the entire world isn't ready to hold hands around the campfire and hum Kum-Ba-Yah, there's no reason for businesses (or the U.S. as a country) to develop and build something, then give it away for nothing.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The pretenses used were completely and 100% false. There is no debating that. You might feel that invasion was justified under some other rational, but that doesn't change the fact that the American people were lied to.

I do agree, however, that such a blanket statement as was made about Obama is a little extreme, I just didn't think you took it so literally.

On another note, what time is his speech tomorrow?

*goes off to google it herself before someone posts a ****** link*

EDIT: OK, looks like it starts at 8 p.m. Eastern

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I agree.

To me, saying "lied to" suggests that the President knew the information was wrong, and relayed that information to the public knowing it was wrong; I don't think that's the case. There's a difference between lying and relaying bad information you believe to be correct.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I think he knew exactly what he was doing, and I believe that was lying. However, that's an entirely different thread. ;)

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Agreed. And the end result is that we removed a terrible dictator who gassed and tortured his own people, and to me, that's a Good Thing. And that's yet another different thread :cool:

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because the end justifies the means right?:rolleyes:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And what we will have replaced it with remains to be seen. It every well could be far worse.

In the meantime, we alienated our allies and started a war with a country that did nothing to us and killed hundreds of thousands of people, who never asked us to depose their leader.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hundreds of thousands?? You know we only care about American casualties round these parts:rolleyes:

I hate that the news never reports the REAL death toll of the day.

18. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There are certainly times where the end does justify the means.

Do you honestly believe that there's a substantial number of people who like war for war's sake? Or has it occurred to you that many people who support wars do so because they have their eyes on the goal?

See below for more on the subject.

It could, and what worries me is that the end result isn't yet known. We jumped into the war with Iraq* and what we were met with was not well anticipated. The Iraqi military rolled over and was defeated fairly quickly, like we figured; I don't think everyone saw coming the waves of insurgent warfare that followed. I think if we had, our strategy in the war would have been substantially different.

Where that leaves us now is in a place where we don't really want to be, because leaving and walking out cold turkey just might not be the best of plans, either. But there we are, and now we have to do our best to fix the mess before we get out. I personally have always maintained that pulling out with our collective tail between our legs sends the wrong message to those who would do war with us; "put up enough resistance through non-sanctioned insurgent combatants and they'll run and hide." I'd rather we not have any troops over there at all; unfortunately, we're there, and I think the best strategy for getting out is to fix the mess first, then withdraw.

* (so many people seem to have forgotten that in the months immediately after 09/11/01, the majority of Americans were strongly in favor of going to war with Afghanistan and Iraq. We were pissed off; we were looking for someone to pick a fight with. Then we remembered we had unfinished business with Saddam, and he was starting to get too big for his britches again. But that was many years ago; so many of us have forgotten how much we supported the war back then.)

20. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Tomorrow: please let this thread get back on topic. ;)

21. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I saw this in the desktop picture forum and thought it was a good laugh...

[​IMG]

As for Obama's speech tomorrow, even though I hate him, I know it will play a big role in his approval rating. He needs to be careful.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Teddy Roosevelt sent warships to patrol off the coast during elections, essentially stating that the US would intervene if it didn't get it's way.

We only got the land because we forced them to hand it over. That's more the sign of a despot than it is the sign of a bad business deal.

Why is that so many right wingers believe in neo-colonialism yet decry Russia or China when they assert their rights? Paranoia? Insecurity? Greed?

Get over it.

23. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I hate to be pessimistic, but right now it looks like it doesn't matter what Obama says. The health care reform that Obama campaigned and won on is not going to happen.

Ted Kennedy is dead. Max Baucus and Kent Conrad will not support any public option. No republican will support any bill. Reconciliation can be delayed indefinitely. There are literally not enough votes in the senate to pass this, even if Baucus and Conrad were on board.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What goal? Making your friends' companies rich with no-bid contracts?

Sorry this is OT, but this needs to be answered. There are also those of us who remember 9/11 VERY CLEARLY, having loved ones in Lower Manhattan and not being able to contact them for days was terrifying. Then there are those of us who were angry and felt Afghanistan was justified. However, Iraq was vigorously protested before we even went in. Many of us predicted exactly what was going to happen and some in the armed forces foresaw it as well. Were we magically smarter than our government? Why were we all against it before it happened? Because we knew Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. It was extremely insulting to those who died that day that the government would use that tragedy for get us into Iraq.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I don't think there has been a president that has been attacked so much. they guy has hardly started and he has been attached by crazy's on a regular basis. this really shows how bigoted America really is.