YOUR VIEWS on the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mogzieee, Apr 7, 2008.

?

Do you show support for the 2008 Olympics?

1. I show support for the Olympics, it should take place and it will be great.

47 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. I will not show my support for this years Olympic Games in Beijing

34 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

The Beijing Olympics, to be held this year, have caused a great deal of speculation about:

Even we have seen on the news recently about protesters interrupting the Beijing Olympic torch relays in London, Paris and Greece.

Now, what are your views on this topic?

...will you boycott support for the games?
    ...are you not bothered by many of these allegations?
    ...are you concerned about these issues, but not believing them?
    ...do you reckon the Olympics should be cancelled?

Please, Leave your responses.

Personally, I think it was stupid to even award the Olympics to China in the first place, it opened up all these risks we knew would happen. So, right now I think that the Olympics should go ahead, since Beijing did get the right to hold the games, and not be canceled, but should definitely apologize or admit to allegations such as Tibet.

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I think china should really sort its self out before being aloud the olympics; not just from a human rights point of view, but the pollution is so bad, that the runners may be quite badly affected, i don't expect to see any 'records' taking place.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

China is a pain in the arse and really needs to sort out its Human rights abuse. But boycotting the Olympics is not the answer, remember what good it did when the USA etc, boycotted Moscow in 1980.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. It won't do a thing.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nope wont' do or mean much. but that said, i can't see myself or many people i know caring much about the olympics this year, if only because there is a lot going on in US politics that'll distract away from it.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Don't think I'll watch too much of the Olympics, I have never really been a big fan.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For or Against doesn't really concern me.
    I have better things to do wtih my time than watch TV.
    Though I do hope Great Britian win lots and lots of medals :D:D

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i think china was a really bad choice of venue.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- it was. I don't know too many people, liberal or conservative, who like China.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

Far from being the hoped for catalyst for change in China, the Olympics simply serve to highlight just how bad the human rights situation is in China.

What upsets me the most, is that London, and thus the UK will be heavily represented at the games, especially at the closing ceremony as we're 'next'. I never wanted the games to come to the UK anyway, but I sure as hell don't want us associated with China.

Doug

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I heard from where, by a famous medium/psychic claim the chinese olympic won't go ahead as planned? anyone heard about it?

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

No, but I'm not surprised a "psychic" would say that.

- It is based on a current event, so it draws attention to the "psychic."

- The Olympic Games are a very complex event, so it is almost a sure bet something about it will not run according to plan. The "psychic" will wait for something like that to happen and then later claim that was what he or she was talking about.

- If nothing goes really wrong, the "psychic" will claim it would have done, but someone listened to him or her and prevented the problem from happening.

People who claim to be psychics are frauds. You should not reward them with your attention.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Your assuming he/she hasn't claimed it yet, right? But the person I'm thinking about has already claimed it... argh, his name slipped my mind.

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You've misunderstood. Anyone can say "I see the future and something will go wrong with the Olympic Games." There are so many ways something can not go according to plan that such a claim is almost sure to be correct. You don't need special powers to say there will probably be some bad weather this month, or that someone will encounter an intriguing stranger in the near future.

It's not powers. It's reasonably safe guesses, a lot of theatrics, and knowing you want to believe him so you'll remember when he's right and ignore when he's wrong. Such people are parasites.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I dunno.. can't say i believe in them.

Personally, I gave up on china's olympic dream when the chinese government after they reckon, they can clean the airpollution by taking 50% of beijing's cars, of the roads... yeah... that'll definitely remove all the smog.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why? Why?

Bringing worldwide attention to such a cloistered region seemed like a no brainer in the attempt to liberalize China. History is filled with examples of change following the introduction of liberal thoughts and values. Remember that before the current 30 years of backlash, much of the Middle East was on its way to being just as liberal as Europe and the US. One of the factors in the fall of the Wall was the exposure that Eastern European/Soviet youth had to Western goods and ideas. Of course bringing a major commercial spectacle like the Olympics seemed like a good - no - grand idea.

Why should China apologize or admit to anything? Perhaps I misunderstand your intent, but the holding of the Olympics there should not be conditioned on any action on the part of China, beyond working to ensure the safety and enjoyment of the athletes and spectators. If you are contending that it would simply be a good thing for China to do, then ignore this paragraph. :)

My opinion is that the games should go on, and there should be no complaining about Tibet or anything else going on in China. My view of the Olympics is outdated, but I believe that the spirit of the games should be one of friendly competition. Forbidding nations to compete for one reason or another is not in the spirit of the games. Using the games for political purposes is not in the spirit of the games. Beginning to end, the games should be a period of respite from the trouble of the world, where nations meet on a field of play rather than a field of war.

While my hope for these games is far from possible, that is what I hope for.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I just wanted to say that I thought your post was very nicely formatted. :)

18. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

when i heard they chose china i thought "oh man i hope there's no controversy over human rights and i hope bush doesn't decide to invade them..."

19. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why thank you.

And thats to everyone that's replied. Keep the posts coming!

Amen to that!

That, too, is a very good point.

20. mr.light macrumors 6502

Boycotting only hurts the athletes. Most of these men and women have been training for a large portion of their lives just for a chance to go to the olympics. I can see if individual athlete choose to boycott, that would be their own choice. Think of it instead as an opportunity to continue to expose China's Human rights deficiencies.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thanks for summing it up nicely it saves myself from writing lengthy answers

22. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

To the folks saying 'it won't make a difference': to China, this is more than an Olympics. It's hugely symbolic, and they are absolutely desperate to make sure it goes smoothly. A boycott would leave a lot of red faces in China.

(Disclaimer: Although I don't believe a boycott is the answer. Disrupting the torch procession, though- now that is something I admire, as it has the desired impact without affecting the poor athletes who have trained for four years for their respective events.)

23. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Cloud seeding, killing dogs and cats by the thousands so their streets appear clean, etc. I'll watch some races such as the 100meter sprint, but besides that, I have no interest.

24. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Boycotting it for the questionable things China is doing will have no effect on their actions. Being the better person, so to speak, is the way to open them up. During the (unfortunately) brief period that China will be relatively open hopefully their people will get a more unbiased look at their government (and we get an unbiased look at their condition/the good and bad parts). Hopefully that will be enough to start some reform over there (and elsewhere) and result in better relations.

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

If everyone who claims they feel so strongly about 'human rights violations' in China boycotted their products, China may actually feel some sort of impact.